HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1541  
Old Posted Jan 17, 2010, 12:35 AM
ckkelley's Avatar
ckkelley ckkelley is offline
Bridge Walker!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: The Forest City
Posts: 1,037
Wow!!
__________________
Just chimin' in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1542  
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 5:09 PM
AlexYVR's Avatar
AlexYVR AlexYVR is offline
In Love With YVRthing
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago:Vancouver
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Nor does Woodwards have a W.
and look where Patina is. Still, great shot and gorgeous village/city.

On second thought, there's the eiffel for the W, so maybe I just think Patina is way taller than it actually is. Is anyone else REALLY disappointed with that tower?
__________________
WWJJD?

Last edited by AlexYVR; Jan 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1543  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 7:58 AM
entheosfog's Avatar
entheosfog entheosfog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,709
Some pics from a lunchtime meandering around Olympic Village. Apologies for some of the blurry shots, I bought a new point & shoot to supplement my DSLR and I'm still trying to get used to it:

No man's land. This is what Quebec Street looks like now that's it's closed to traffic. There's a tent going up further north down the street, on the closed street:


Pedestrians and cyclists have to use this one little path that was recently widened to get down Quebec. The other side of the street is off limits to the public:


Seawall dead-end:


McD's, all gussied up and recently renovated:




Olympic sponsors have overtaken all of the billboards in the surrounding area, even up Terminal. Although I did manage to spot an old Spanner ad on the other side of the security fence!


I really have no idea what this is all about:


Science World was open for the last day today until March as it becomes the home for the Russian pavilion:
__________________
Latest photo thread: Coney Island, Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1544  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 8:02 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,114
cool pics

i've noticed billboards all over the place are all olympic related and official sonsors - so those ones are what will remain for the games?
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1545  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 8:03 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
Will Russia Pavilion be open to everybody? Somebody said only Russian passport holders. Which... sounds odd.

Especially since they presumably want people to find out about Sochi 2014.

There are really a surprising amount of (very wealthy) Russians in Vancouver, but maybe not enough to justify a pavilion
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1546  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 8:05 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,114
it should be open to everyone its promoting them

but perhaps at times it could be restricted entry or priority - a lot of the countries own athletes at various houses will probably get priority over joe and colleen from surrey
__________________
belowitall
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1547  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 1:14 PM
Delirium's Avatar
Delirium Delirium is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,227
i regret not being in the fencing/tent business!

the olympic rings were installed on the Salt building yesterday. not sure if i like this. i wonder if it's only temporary and will be taken down post-games?

i do love the changing lights though. that;s just cool!

photo by http://2010vanfan.ca/


photo by http://2010vanfan.ca/


photo by http://2010vanfan.ca/
__________________
My Flickr: www.flickr.com/oct2gon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1548  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 6:01 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
David
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 1,453
Olympic ads are replacing most billboards in East Van too. And i've been on plenty of buses with all Olympic ads.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1549  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 6:41 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,778
McDonalds looks good.

I think the rings are temporary.
They look like the ones on Cypress based on news photos (i.e. a green tinge to them)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1550  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 10:51 PM
ryanmaccdn ryanmaccdn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 343
Does anyone know if their were any provisions in the Millennium Water project to build the LRT line thru it..... I've noticed quite a large boulevard with grass in the middle cutting thru the project.

Would there be other possible provisions in recent upgrades to Pacific Blvrd .... that grassy/walkway down the middle seems so useless/out of place that one might think it has to do with the LRT project in future years?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1551  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2010, 11:04 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,778
Yup both would be future RoWs -
Pacific Blvd would still need reconfiguration for construction of the line.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1552  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 3:11 AM
entheosfog's Avatar
entheosfog entheosfog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 3,709
Actually, to follow up what I wrote yesterday, today I heard that EVERY billboard and bus shelter ad space in the city, including the new digital boards, is going to VANOC for their sponsors. At first I was in disbelief, but look around; you'll be hard pressed to find ads that aren't Olympic sponsors, or City of Vancouver promo ads!
__________________
Latest photo thread: Coney Island, Christmas Day
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1553  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 3:16 AM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,778
I like the look of the posters in the SkyTrain Stations - gives a cleaner consistent look.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1554  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 3:26 AM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Actually, to follow up what I wrote yesterday, today I heard that EVERY billboard and bus shelter ad space in the city, including the new digital boards, is going to VANOC for their sponsors. At first I was in disbelief, but look around; you'll be hard pressed to find ads that aren't Olympic sponsors, or City of Vancouver promo ads!
I love the ads, the global corporate ads really gives us an international city feel...how often do you see ads in the city by GE?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1555  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 4:33 AM
Waders Waders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
Actually, to follow up what I wrote yesterday, today I heard that EVERY billboard and bus shelter ad space in the city, including the new digital boards, is going to VANOC for their sponsors. At first I was in disbelief, but look around; you'll be hard pressed to find ads that aren't Olympic sponsors, or City of Vancouver promo ads!
This is because VANOC bought all the outdoor advestising space!
Skytrain trains are almost bare of advertisement except those from official sponsors like Coca, GE, Acer etc. I actually like the lack of advestisement as the train is a lot brighter without them.

As reported in MetroNews http://www.metronews.ca/vancouver/canada...illboard-space-to-dodge-ambush-marketing
Quote:
The organizing committee had made an agreement with the IOC to purchase all outdoor advertising space during the Games — including buses — in part to avoid ambush marketing from companies that aren’t sponsors.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1556  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 4:47 AM
vansky vansky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
I love the ads, the global corporate ads really gives us an international city feel...how often do you see ads in the city by GE?
the panasonic, ge and olympic ones are all over hte place

a city favoured for the enviroment promotes corporate consumption,

wat a trick...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1557  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:07 AM
invisibleairwaves's Avatar
invisibleairwaves invisibleairwaves is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 638
Amusing

I can see how this might backfire...saw this on the SkyTrain today:



Pic by me today, blurred because I'm kinda new and I dunno how the profanity policy works around here...
__________________
Reticulating Splines
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1558  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:22 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansky View Post
the panasonic, ge and olympic ones are all over hte place

a city favoured for the enviroment promotes corporate consumption,

wat a trick...
And the city government wants corporations to create "green jobs" by creating things which they can then sell and promote consumption.

Head explode yet?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1559  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:31 AM
Yume-sama's Avatar
Yume-sama Yume-sama is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver / Calgary / Tokyo
Posts: 7,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibleairwaves View Post
I can see how this might backfire...saw this on the SkyTrain today:



Pic by me today, blurred because I'm kinda new and I dunno how the profanity policy works around here...
Hmm, it's pathetic but not entirely unexpected. If this is the worst thing those losers do, it'll be for the better.

But we all know it won't be.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1560  
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:33 AM
squeezied's Avatar
squeezied squeezied is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibleairwaves View Post
I can see how this might backfire...saw this on the SkyTrain today:



Pic by me today, blurred because I'm kinda new and I dunno how the profanity policy works around here...
is that for real?? or did someone draw that in?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:28 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.