HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9701  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 4:56 PM
Habanero's Avatar
Habanero Habanero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dynamic city near the Rockies
Posts: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Don't get me wrong, the amount of new office towers Calgary has built / continues to build is impressive. But the reality is that there is a significant amount of office space (both new and backfill) that will need to be absorbed before we see any new towers. O&G companies are sub-leasing space and/or consolidating and returning space to the market. It is reasonable to expect no new office construction in Calgary for at least 5 or so years once Encana and EAP are completed. The A-class market should be ok, but the B-class market, particularly buildings in the Beltline will find it difficult.
Yep, that sounds about right. If history repeats itself (which it often does) The office space will take while to get absorbed, and once the levels get down, it takes a while for a developer to get the ball rolling on a new project.

About 18 months from now Calgary's office space market will look alot like it did in 1983 just after Petro Canada tower was finished, and the then vacancy rate was 16%. The next new building in Calgary (Canterra) didn't start until about 5 years after that, in 1988. I'm betting we won't see a new office tower start up for at least 6 years minimum.
     
     
  #9702  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 4:59 PM
Cow-garian's Avatar
Cow-garian Cow-garian is offline
Cowtown Enthusiast YeeHaw
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
I really think this next boom will be Edmonton's turn to see a bunch of new downtown towers rise.
I really do hope so

I may not be the biggest 'oil country' fan, but we're all Albertans and the best thing for Alberta is that both the capital city and corporate city succeed and I think the recent announcement regarding the Edmonton LRT expansion will undoubtedly and exponentially help out development in your downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
I'm betting we won't see a new office tower start up for at least 6 years minimum.
For the short term at least, I don't think too many Calgarians will mind the slow down in pace, it'll be easier on the wallets (less demand) and less construction detour headaches. It'll be nice to take a breather and basically let the rest of the infrastructure and other things catch up.
     
     
  #9703  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 9:02 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
How's the leasing at EAP going ?
Very close to big deal, I hear (from a reliable source).
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #9704  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 10:47 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Very close to big deal, I hear (from a reliable source).
yup, heard the same thing...
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9705  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:05 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
EDMONTON — Construction of a massive green community at the City Centre Airport could start within three years, but Mayor Stephen Mandel isn’t sure he’ll be in office to see it happen.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Mandel+mulls+future+mayor/2352575/story.html
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #9706  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:26 PM
ue ue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WPG
Posts: 9,493
^have you read some of those comments? lord help them...
     
     
  #9707  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:31 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Sure a few more office towers would be nice, but let's not dwell on it...

For me, the key proponent in developing our downtown properly is to build a lot more condo towers (places for people to live) . I'd rather have 100% occupied 24/7 properties than 80% occupied 9 hours of the day - leaving downtown a deadzone after 6.

I think we need to put more of our efforts into making downtown into a lively place. No 50/60/70 storey office tower can do that.

Sure towers are nice to look at, but I'd much rather have the people and vibrancy thankyouverymuch. People create demand for services, restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Office towers do too, but not on the same scale.

Perhaps it's just me... but the nicer, more attractive, more vibrant, more populous downtown will do nothing but attract corporate players to choose to be where the action is.

Let's push downtown to be attractive to business, but we also need to market it better to our own people (and newcomers).
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #9708  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:32 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
oh my , why did I go look. I purposely avoid the comments section. But EE mentioned it - and like a train wreck, I had to go look see and geeeezzzzzus christ are people ever stupid.
     
     
  #9709  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:34 PM
Keats82's Avatar
Keats82 Keats82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 657
My god, the replies regarding this article are ridiculous. People have too much time on their hands and seriously need a kick in the patoot.

My reply:

"I try not to assume things, but I'm pretty sure that most of you are armchair civic enthusiasts who have no real idea of what goes on in City Hall and the council.

Mandel has taken the role of mayor on like a champ, and made some very tough choices. The new art gallery is going to be a major hit, the earnings of the Indy have nothing to do with him but YOU, the consumer, going. He only wants to stick it out to fulfill the citys' terms of the conract.

All of this nonsense about taxes increasing is ridiculous. Edmonton is the same size as Chicago but with 1/5th the population base - meaning that all of the spectacular suburbs and services eventually call for higher taxes to clear roads, fund community centres, etc.

I'm really at a lost to see how people can make such immature and blatantly ignorant statements just to fuel their own perceptions or misgivings of one individual or service. Read more, understand both sides of the story, and maybe get a job vs. posting such tripe on the internet all day long."
     
     
  #9710  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:35 PM
Keats82's Avatar
Keats82 Keats82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 657
^^ Referencing one of my favorite qoutes from Judge Judy, the comments in that article are the perfect example as to why people should be tested before they are allowed to have children.
     
     
  #9711  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:48 PM
ue ue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WPG
Posts: 9,493
I did a reply too, but didn't think to copy it. I basically said for people to ditch the small town mentality and realize the great things Mandel has done. He's not perfect, but much better than Smith. If he's up to it, I'd love to have him re-elected and for him to create even more visions for the city that actually get implemented. He ended a debate that lasted decades, ended with a closure to happen for an airport. He approved so many LRT projects and made it priority I'm sure we'd still only have Clareview-University if it weren't for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
Sure a few more office towers would be nice, but let's not dwell on it...

For me, the key proponent in developing our downtown properly is to build a lot more condo towers (places for people to live) . I'd rather have 100% occupied 24/7 properties than 80% occupied 9 hours of the day - leaving downtown a deadzone after 6.

I think we need to put more of our efforts into making downtown into a lively place. No 50/60/70 storey office tower can do that.

Sure towers are nice to look at, but I'd much rather have the people and vibrancy thankyouverymuch. People create demand for services, restaurants, bars, shops, etc. Office towers do too, but not on the same scale.

Perhaps it's just me... but the nicer, more attractive, more vibrant, more populous downtown will do nothing but attract corporate players to choose to be where the action is.

Let's push downtown to be attractive to business, but we also need to market it better to our own people (and newcomers).
Yes, and also, Edmonton doesn't actually need (nor does Calgary, or Seattle, or LA, or whatever) 200m tall buildings. China does, NY maybe, some places in Europe. Japan. Canada? Not really. We should fill as many places as possible and only have non buildings for parks and plazas, because to me it makes sense to kill two parking lots with two 20m tall condos than 1 40m tall condo and leaving one parking lot. And when demmad is needed in an area, and there is no where else to turn, then you go up, but make the most efficient use of space as possible beforehand.

That being said Calgary and Edmonton both have seen a refocus towards residential construction in downtown (well, for Calgary the Beltline area).
     
     
  #9712  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:48 PM
craner's Avatar
craner craner is offline
Go Tall or Go Home
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Yep, that sounds about right. If history repeats itself (which it often does) The office space will take while to get absorbed, and once the levels get down, it takes a while for a developer to get the ball rolling on a new project.

About 18 months from now Calgary's office space market will look alot like it did in 1983 just after Petro Canada tower was finished, and the then vacancy rate was 16%. The next new building in Calgary (Canterra) didn't start until about 5 years after that, in 1988. I'm betting we won't see a new office tower start up for at least 6 years minimum.
Not to nit pick here, and I know this is the EDMONTON forum but . . .
Petro Canada finished up in 1984 and Canterra was U/C by 1986 (completed 1988). Having said that - if it's only 6 years until the next office tower proceeds in Calgary - I can live with that. (sorry for the hijack).
     
     
  #9713  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 11:49 PM
kcantor kcantor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero View Post
Yep, that sounds about right. If history repeats itself (which it often does) The office space will take while to get absorbed, and once the levels get down, it takes a while for a developer to get the ball rolling on a new project.

About 18 months from now Calgary's office space market will look alot like it did in 1983 just after Petro Canada tower was finished, and the then vacancy rate was 16%. The next new building in Calgary (Canterra) didn't start until about 5 years after that, in 1988. I'm betting we won't see a new office tower start up for at least 6 years minimum.
you may well be right. on the other hand, you may well have a market a few hours north to take those cranes off your hands that you didn't have last time...
     
     
  #9714  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 3:48 AM
vaportrail's Avatar
vaportrail vaportrail is offline
That's no excuse!
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnklc View Post
you may well be right. on the other hand, you may well have a market a few hours north to take those cranes off your hands that you didn't have last time...
Oh, you sweet talker, you. You had me at cranes.

But what possible consideration would you have, other than wishful thinking, to air such bravado?
     
     
  #9715  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:42 AM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Very close to big deal, I hear (from a reliable source).
Hmmm, any idea which company is rumoured to sign? Shell, CNRL and Imperial seem like the most likely suspects.
     
     
  #9716  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 5:11 AM
ibz's Avatar
ibz ibz is offline
GT Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Hmmm, any idea which company is rumoured to sign? Shell, CNRL and Imperial seem like the most likely suspects.
Shell has been the subject of most rumours
__________________
...
     
     
  #9717  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:18 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
I came back. See its still Calgary talk.

I'll try again tomorrow.
     
     
  #9718  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 4:33 PM
kcantor kcantor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaportrail View Post
Oh, you sweet talker, you. You had me at cranes.

But what possible consideration would you have, other than wishful thinking, to air such bravado?
we only have three on our site at the moment and sometimes three isn't enough (the fourth one in the background is quest - it's not ours). what you're looking at is only about 1/3 of the overall project site and this tower only builds out about 1/4 of what's already planned.



and just in case you like climbing booms as much as cranes:



project phots courtesy of multivista

Last edited by kcantor; Dec 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: added photo source
     
     
  #9719  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 5:01 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
Very close to big deal, I hear (from a reliable source).
EAP has been "close" to signing a major tenant for more than eight months. In fact, I've heard they have had several interested parties and that an agreement couldn't be reached with the first in line.
     
     
  #9720  
Old Posted Dec 18, 2009, 6:50 PM
Xelebes's Avatar
Xelebes Xelebes is offline
Sawmill Billowtoker
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rockin' in Edmonton
Posts: 14,027
Come on folks, let's keep this about Edmonton construction, ok?
__________________
The Colour Green
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:29 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.