Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast
Sure. I think a central, old neighborhood or urban community would be more accurate than "downtown" though. Alberta Ave, Chinatown/97th, Westmount/124 St, Strathcona, Bonnie Doon, Beverly, Belgravia, Argyll, Downtown East are all common enough terms for areas central but not downtown that people can associate with. Most people know Alberta Avenue, Beverly, etc. People don't know Boyle Street, but could associate with east of downtown, Downtown East, or just south of 97 St Chinatown. For those north edge communities one could say just north of downtown or near Kingsway. You don't need to associate as apart of downtown, though.
|
Meh, for most people, it's downtown. I can walk to 107th ave and 112th street in a heartbeart - im in Oliver on 116th. I do consider that area as on the fringes of downtown - the density (or lack thereof in Edm) starts to taper/grow there, depending on your direction.
I think that Edmontons' urban footprint versus its population density is the real problem there. We have several very underdeveloped areas quite close to towers and municipal buildings (city hall, law courts, etc.) which don't come to mind when we think "downtown" in our brains, yet they are.
I'm not sure if there is a boundary that the city uses officially(?), but I don't think that the Journal erred by any real means for labelling 107th ave and 112th Street downtown.