I did a paper on the square as part of an Urban Design course. I suggested that one mistake that they made was cutting off the west side. Putting up walls that cuts off or divides the public realm is very bad design. It happened with the leg grounds now it happened with the square. My recommendation in the paper was to open up the southwest corner because it provided the best viewpoint into the square and the best viewpoint from the square. Redesign the steps so that it steps up from both 100 street and from inside the square. That was the steps adjacent to 100 street could be used for parades. The white concrete is also a bad choice of surface material. Too reflective, and it started to crack just days after it was dry.
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
|