HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8801  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 5:24 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
^ *yawn*
     
     
  #8802  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 8:18 PM
Keats82's Avatar
Keats82 Keats82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 657
Oi, yes, that World Trade Center 7 tower is absolutely boring from that vantage point. I wasn't aware the lobbies were off limt, makes sense I guess. I'd still say that the best tower is the second from the left.

As for the "camo building" - I think the lack of other buildings, as mentioned by Roquentin, is a particularly good point. However, I also think that the Oxford Tower really doesn't have the form or height to pull that off gracefully. (Don't worry, I know it was just for fun ).
     
     
  #8803  
Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 7:33 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
Federal Building as of breakfastish today

__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #8804  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 2:14 AM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
The Fed building redevelopment is one of the most important redevelopments in the city right now. I'm so excited for this.
__________________
"Call me sir, goddammit!"
     
     
  #8805  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 4:15 AM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
^ Ditto; aside from refitting and repopulating a beautiful old office building - which is awesome enough on its own - this project will create one of the biggest and best public plazas this city and our downtown have ever seen.
     
     
  #8806  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 5:24 AM
ue ue is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: WPG
Posts: 9,493
^Yup I agree. We really need some funky urban plazas/squares in the city with neat landscaping and modern elements and what not. There are a few but there could be a lot more and they could look a lot better.
     
     
  #8807  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 2:55 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
not to mention that it brings prominence to the grounds and a beautiful building.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #8808  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 4:27 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Job No 91223884-001: To construct an Apartment Building (66 Dwelling Units).
10523 - 123 STREET NW
Plan 1511KS Blk 8 Lot 5
B K ARCHITECTURE , ERFREY T TAMON

WESTMOUNT
__________________
Short term pain for long term gain
     
     
  #8809  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 6:08 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
^right behind their offices...
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #8810  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 6:34 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Fed building is super important, I love our government district.. will be good to see more feet on the sidewalks in that area.

One of the next most important projects on the go right now is Quest... although the design might leave much to desire, that north edge of the WHD needs more people...
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #8811  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 6:35 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Also..
If anyone here interested in Google wave, let me know (via PM) I have a few invitations to give out. (could be very useful for us construction nut-types...)
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #8812  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 7:19 PM
Shodan's Avatar
Shodan Shodan is offline
Sherwood Park as a Nation
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Where I hang my hat
Posts: 2,372
Edmonton housing starts will hit bottom this year: CMHC

By Bill Mah, edmontonjournal.comNovember 2, 2009 12:02 PM

EDMONTON — Housing starts in the Edmonton area will hit bottom in 2009 with a decline for the third straight year before rebounding strongly in 2010, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. said Monday.

Builders are on pace to begin construction on 5,000 homes, 24-per-cent fewer than the year before, said the national housing agency’s Fall 2009 Housing Market Outlook for the Edmonton census metropolitan area.


http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/...bottom+this+year+CMHC/2172884/story.html
__________________
Sweet.

Last edited by Xelebes; Nov 2, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
     
     
  #8813  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 7:23 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
what is google wave?
     
     
  #8814  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 7:48 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
^ Google it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
     
     
  #8815  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 7:51 PM
bulliver's Avatar
bulliver bulliver is offline
So very tired...
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Penticton
Posts: 3,729
^ Ha! I was going to say the same thing
__________________
Support the mob or mysteriously disappear...
     
     
  #8816  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 8:25 PM
etown etown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 257
Whyte Ave and 109 St.

I'm sure its been discussed before, but I can't remember and didn't see it on the first page.

What is going in on the SW corner of 109 St and Whyte Ave, was the hotel eventually approved?
     
     
  #8817  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 8:26 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
^ A new Shoppers Drug Mart. Meh, but the parking is underground at least.
     
     
  #8818  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 9:12 PM
etown etown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 257
I presume there is no residential above the drug store.
     
     
  #8819  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 9:17 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
What a waste of a prime piece of land...
(should have been a hotel)
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
     
     
  #8820  
Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 9:27 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by etown View Post
I presume there is no residential above the drug store.
nope... should have been that wickedly designed hotel!!!! BUT it won't be and instead will be a nicely designed Shopper's.

next
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:47 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.