HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #741  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 11:43 AM
hfx_chris hfx_chris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 1,450
Quote:
IMAGINE THE DAY when you could live in a new environmentally friendly home in Shannon Park where a wine bar was just a short stroll away.
Hmm.. Yes, I can imagine this. Sign me up please.
I still think Shannon Park would be a great site for a stadium, but DND owns the land so really, it's their call if they want to sell it and to who. Whatever they do with the site, it would be a hell of a lot better than what exists there now.

As for the development next to St. Mary's, sounds good to me. Personally I hope whatever goes in there doesn't (any I really do hate hearing myself say this) block the view of the spire from up Spring Garden.
Yes yes yes, I know that sounds very Heritage Trust-esque to me too...but I've got a thing about church buildings, especially nice looking ones like this. I'm not a terribly religious person, I like the buildings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #742  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
^Damn you beat me to posting them.

Oh well it's still nice to see this in the news.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #743  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:29 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 966
That parking lot by St. Mary's better not become affordable housing. That would totally ruin that part of town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #744  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 3:37 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
Yah, I don't think affordable housing is the answer, perhaps a unit or two but no more. I'd like to see something of a comparative size to founders corner on that site.

As far as Shannon Park goes. I think Wadih has a point. If the market is overloaded we will lose a lot of good projects. So I would like to see this one wait a bit. It has sooo much potential though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #745  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 6:50 PM
Spitfire75 Spitfire75 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Halifax
Posts: 254
That's exciting news for Shannon Park. I know it's years away but I can't wait to see that area redeveloped.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #746  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:25 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
That parking lot by St. Mary's better not become affordable housing. That would totally ruin that part of town.
Maybe all the Spring Garden Rd/Barrington St panhandlers could live there.

Oh wait, they probably all make too much money to qualify.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #747  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:27 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Here's a couple possible new developments
IMAGINE THE DAY when you could live in a new environmentally friendly home in Shannon Park where a wine bar was just a short stroll away.
Yeah, well, better keep dreaming. That will not happen in our lifetimes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #748  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 8:31 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,988
I find it so kitschy when they start going on about wine bars or other slightly dated trappings of yuppiedom.

Shannon Park is okay. It would be a fairly nice site if selectively bulldozed and cleaned up, but it is not that well located. I'd expect to see development there on par with other parts of suburban Dartmouth, or maybe slightly nicer since it has waterfront.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #749  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 12:57 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Yah, I don't think affordable housing is the answer, perhaps a unit or two but no more. I'd like to see something of a comparative size to founders corner on that site.

As far as Shannon Park goes. I think Wadih has a point. If the market is overloaded we will lose a lot of good projects. So I would like to see this one wait a bit. It has sooo much potential though.
I'm curious where folks think that affordable housing should go. Where should we build another Highfield park? I don't see the problem with affordable hosing downtown, if it is partof a mix of development; particularly since a lot of downtown already includes an amount of affordable housing. jET
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #750  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 1:22 PM
DigitalNinja DigitalNinja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I'm curious where folks think that affordable housing should go. Where should we build another Highfield park? I don't see the problem with affordable hosing downtown, if it is partof a mix of development; particularly since a lot of downtown already includes an amount of affordable housing. jET
I don't think we should build any new affordable housing downtown. In most cities it is reserved for the wealthy and the pan handlers. I'd like to see something that wont be neglected next to an actual historic building, not some piece of 🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #751  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 1:49 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
I'm curious where folks think that affordable housing should go. Where should we build another Highfield park? I don't see the problem with affordable hosing downtown, if it is partof a mix of development; particularly since a lot of downtown already includes an amount of affordable housing. jET
i wouldn't call highfield park "affordable" housing as referenced as it doesn't meet the quailifers that would make it affordable.

Uniacke square would be a better model.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #752  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 5:17 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
i wouldn't call highfield park "affordable" housing as referenced as it doesn't meet the quailifers that would make it affordable.

Uniacke square would be a better model.
Uniacke is a ghetto, Highfield is "affordable" substandard housing.
Neither created any mix of population. JET
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #753  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 10:00 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,988
I was looking through the PCC minutes (lost the link, but they were recent) and there was a section about the Enviro Depot site on Gottingen. The city has a lien on the property for unpaid taxes and the owner is trying to sell it off to a developer. The developer wants an agreement with the city so that they can be sure of the site's development potential before buying - they've asked for 15 storeys, although I'm not sure they'll get it.

I think 15 storeys would be fine on Gottingen if there were a 4-8 storey podium with a tower with setbacks above. Simply having a 4-8 storey building would also be fine, although it would be better if the quality were higher than that of 5505 Falkland.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #754  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 5:43 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
I'm trying to think where the Enviro Depot is on Gottingen?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #755  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 6:28 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I was looking through the PCC minutes (lost the link, but they were recent) and there was a section about the Enviro Depot site on Gottingen. The city has a lien on the property for unpaid taxes and the owner is trying to sell it off to a developer. The developer wants an agreement with the city so that they can be sure of the site's development potential before buying - they've asked for 15 storeys, although I'm not sure they'll get it.

I think 15 storeys would be fine on Gottingen if there were a 4-8 storey podium with a tower with setbacks above. Simply having a 4-8 storey building would also be fine, although it would be better if the quality were higher than that of 5505 Falkland.
Do you mean the Enviro Depot on Clifton? I can't find it on Gottingen.

It would be amazing for Clifton, with Gladstone Ridge right across the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #756  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 8:01 PM
JET JET is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,055
http://www.halifax.ca/archives/GottingenStreet-1965.html

I believe that the enviro depot reference pertains to the old Metropolitan Store on the East side of gottingen St. It was full of junk and the roof was falling in. Good to get rid of. Next door to the Hfx Backpackers I think. JET
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #757  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 9:03 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,988
Oops, yes, there are a couple of them, and I'm talking about the one on Gottingen. I thought it was called Mitchell's Enviro Depot but I could be wrong.

I think the Clifton site has a proposal for a lowrise apartment building.

That 60s photo is pretty depressing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #758  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 9:07 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Oops, yes, there are a couple of them, and I'm talking about the one on Gottingen. I thought it was called Mitchell's Enviro Depot but I could be wrong.

I think the Clifton site has a proposal for a lowrise apartment building.

That 60s photo is pretty depressing.
Yeah, it looked like high end retail and I'm taking better than the current SGR.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #759  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2009, 9:39 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,988
Well, I don't think it was higher end. Woolworth's was sort of low-mid range, like Macy's. The storefront materials and designs were nice though -- I think that's just something we've lost over the past 50 years or so.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #760  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 8:33 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Case 01339

This is an interesting proposal by WM Fares for additions to a heritage house on Inglis Street between Tower and South Park (noth-side).
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:01 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.