Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman
It may not be that huge of a deal if the connector was built but it would set a bad precedent.
|
A bad precedent for what? That section isn't technically part of the park actually. The only precedent it would set would be council not going with the opinions of residents in that area. I don't disagree with council's decision because they did what politicians do, side with those voting for them. But at the same time, I think the people against the 84th extension should wake up to the realities that they live less than 10 blocks away from the second downtown of the Lower Mainland under construction.
They can expect there will be some need for expansion, upgrades, infrastructure, and population growth in the area. And given what Holland Park looks like now after the 'upgrades', I think that part of Bear Creek could have been made to look absoultely amazing in the process of the road expansion. Right now, as the person said 2 above, it is just brown grass, power lines, and fences of houses. Nothing special.
Oh well. It will happen eventually. Council will instruct staff to look at alternatives, then they'll come back saying "We looked at alternatives and they will be 10 times the cost and 5 times more disruptive so we're making an executive decision and extending 84th".
I'd bet money on it. There's really no other alternative.