HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1621  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 2:30 AM
FutureCity FutureCity is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 22
Personally I would much rather see a 42 for the same reasons John Martin stated. IMO it's time for Salt Lake to go to the next level. Since it appears that it would be positioned between the COB and the Wells Fargo I would say it would be the perfect spot for a 40+ story building. That said I would be happy for either height as long as it just gets built. Even at 32 we would most likely have a new tallest.
     
     
  #1622  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 2:57 AM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
If they're intent on staying in one tower, then 42 would be a better option - to have additional room for future expansion.
     
     
  #1623  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 4:15 AM
Green Bro Green Bro is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171

Trust me, there will not be any future growing after they come here. They still love Atlanta, and Atlanta has been good for them and always will be.
     
     
  #1624  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:00 AM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bro View Post

Trust me, there will not be any future growing after they come here. They still love Atlanta, and Atlanta has been good for them and always will be.
So why the move?
     
     
  #1625  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:13 AM
John Martin's Avatar
John Martin John Martin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,195
Well, if I were an airline I wouldn't be growing either.

Maybe the move because they're a little crowded... maybe because of a merger or something....
     
     
  #1626  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:32 AM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Yeah it's weird: They really like the area they're currently at, Atlanta. They're relying on their airport. If they grow, they don't want to grow where their headquarters will be at.

Sounds like they almost don't want to come here. Maybe they're getting amazing incentives. Maybe a merger like John said. Perhaps it will allow them to cut costs of some sort. Maybe there's certain distribution centers, related industries, or the geographic location is of importance...hmm.
     
     
  #1627  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:57 AM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
How about this Green Bro...is this a Fortune 500 company?
     
     
  #1628  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 12:23 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,770
SLC will bury utilities along North Temple

Beautification » Council members agree to $10M expense to complete the 'Grand Boulevard.'


The boulevard will be torn open only once, so we better fix it right -- especially if it helps mend the tear with Salt Lake City's west side.

Such was the rationale behind Salt Lake City Council members' 6-1 vote to swallow a $10 million debt to bury the utilities along the North Temple "Grand Boulevard." ...


.
     
     
  #1629  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 5:56 PM
East2Westback East2Westback is offline
NYC Rick
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tappan, New York
Posts: 162
I find it unusual that a building is being talked about...

Regarding a company that no one knows and that there is an argument between the building being 32 stories or 42 stories. Am I wrong thinking this is a little strange?


In reading, it seems that they still love Atlanta. How can anyone know if they love or hate Atlanta if they do not know what the company is. What is the real incentive for this unknown company to leave Atlanta and come to SLC?

I would love to see a well known company move their HC to SLC. I am not arguing that. I am arguing the total lack of information creating this speculation.

I cannot find the beginning of this particular thought thread. Where did this particular information come from?

I also do not understand why people wish for a 42 story building because it is about time they raised their sights in SLC.

Someone help me out because in the previous 4 pages there is not any really solid foundation. Is this purely speculation?

Someone lead me to the location that says an Atlanta company is looking to move to SLC? Was it in the papers there? TV?

All I am doing is wondering...this is not to piss people off.
     
     
  #1630  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:19 PM
scottharding scottharding is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 1,681
East2Westback:
This topic initially started on the City Creek Center thread. Then it was moved here. Greenbro told us of a company that is looking to relocate or expand (which?) to SLC and is considering building a 32 or 42 story tower in either late 2012 or early 2013. The floor-count will depend on how much of the company they move here from Atlanta. Greenbro was able to obtain this inside info from his work, but because of his work he is obligated to remain mostly silent on the details. This is why there is so much speculation. We have some information from an inside source, the but this source can confirm/deny very little.
     
     
  #1631  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 6:23 PM
leerjet leerjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 110

Thanks for tackling that Scottharding. My responsed was fixin to be slightly more abrasive... I get really excited when people are quick to be condescending without doing their homework.

East2westback: I ususally like your comments, keep the good ones comming!
     
     
  #1632  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 7:09 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Thanks Projects for resurrecting that! Where were those hiding anyways? I have been searching all over the place for those. Do you have the label information that accompanied it? ie. #1 is Mystery Glass Tower. #2 is ...

I don't remember where or when I first made this post that had the list. It will take a few mins for me to put that list together.

But the first tower is the Mystery Glass Tower ( Atlanta Tower? ) I'm going to call it "Atlanta Tower" til I know more about it.



1. Mystery Glass Tower ( Atlanta Tower? )
2. Lehi Hotel Tower ( The Pointe )
3. One of the "Wasatch Properties Towers" ( Up to 33-stories )
4. Social Hall Tower 2 ( up to 30-40 stories. )
5. World Trade Center plaza Tower 1
6. The other "Wasatch Properties Towers" ( There could be two towers-maybe twin towers. )
7. City Creek Center Condo Tower 1
8. Market Station Condo Tower in South Salt Lake. ( might not happen now. )
9. 222 South Main
10. Don't remember. That's going to bug me now.
11. Lehi condo building
12. Lehi condo building
13. City Creek Center Tower 2
14. World Trade Center plaza Tower 2
15. Social Hall Tower 1 ( at first it look to be around 17-stories, but word is it now could be down to 7-stories. )
16. Pleasant Grove Hotel ( was 14-stories, now 9. )
17. City Creek Building 4. ( was at first going to be condos at 12-stories, but now will be a office building at 6-stoires. )
18. I'm guessing this one is the "RDA state street SRO property"
19. US Federal Courthouse
20. Zions Bank Building in Provo
21. Richards Court East
22. Richards Court West
23. I don't remember what these are.
24. SugarHouse block Development ( might not happen now. )

Note: this was done over two years ago and this was before I know about "The Regent" Therefor this is way out of date.

Last edited by SLC Projects; Oct 7, 2009 at 7:34 PM.
     
     
  #1633  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 7:25 PM
Wasatch_One's Avatar
Wasatch_One Wasatch_One is offline
Wen Lambo
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,326
I think the Lehi project buidlings are dead.
     
     
  #1634  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 7:36 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch_One View Post
I think the Lehi project buidlings are dead.

Like I said. It's out of date.
But I'm think your right.
     
     
  #1635  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 7:54 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Not necessarily. Look at that corner again. You could take out the Bennion Jewelers building, the old Trib building, and the building to the south of that. I remember that PRI, now CCRI, bought that corner back in 2006. I'm not sure how much of that corner they bought. (I'm sure someone could dig up something about that) And, from my work, I was privileged to know about the Mystery Glass Tower before they decided not to show it for the big City Creek Center presentation in Oct. '06. Take a look at how wide the Mystery Glass Tower is.

On a side note, I'm not sure why PRI bought that corner and not the SW corner with its vacant parking lot and the tiny bank building. I would much rather have someone develop on that corner than the Bennion Jewelers corner. We don't need to demolish any more interesting buildings.
The Tribune building is the fourth building down on the block and sits at mid block. From the Corner down you have the Bennion Jewlers Building, the former SLCC building/Prudential Savings(going way back), the former bank/museum, the former Inkley/museum, the NAC advertising building, then the trib building.

The LDS church has been in negotiations with SLC to sale the 3 buildings between Bennion Jewelers and the Tribune building for the new Salt Lake City Performing arts center. To the East of the corner is the Bennion Jewlers Building, the Martine/Ahh sushi building (sandstone brownstone) and the new Deseret News building, I don't really see those buildings coming down anytime soon either. So that is why I ruled out that location for the time being. If the LDS Church has or is selling all 3 buildings to the City, I don't ever see the Glass Mystery Tower being built on that site, unless it can occupy the Bennion Jeweler building footprint, but as has been pointed out, the Glass Mystery Tower is very wide.
     
     
  #1636  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 8:07 PM
Green Bro Green Bro is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
There is only so much I can say without giving too much info. They are coming to SLC becuause they want a bigger presence out west and since SLC is cross roads of the west they like its geographical location to all other major western cities like Seattle, San Fran, Denver, L.A., etc.. They also like the fact that SLC's economy is better than a lot of the other cities out west.

The part of the company that is staying in Atlanta will be there for all the international relations and international business. They need the easy convenience of the Atlanta airport for the company. Also the ATLANTA name helps them world wide as well because it's obviously a major city with a lot of big name companies there already. Location Location what it's all about for this company. They are keeping the international 'part' of the business in ATL due to its geographical location with Africa, Europe, Latin America (including South America).

With this company in SLC, I can see them building stronger relationships with Atlanta and possibly Seattle. Seattle was another city they were looking at a couple years ago along with SLC. Seattle is not out the posibility of expanding their with this company as well. They want a larger presence is Asia, so the Seattle tech business helps a lot, same with its geographical location as well. But again, Seattle is much further down the road, SLC needs to happen before they can start looking at Seattle. There is a company in Seattle and one is Vancouver that they are working with now to build a stronger presence in Asia. Asia is a newer market to them.
     
     
  #1637  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 8:22 PM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bro View Post
There is only so much I can say without giving too much info. They are coming to SLC becuause they want a bigger presence out west and since SLC is cross roads of the west they like its geographical location to all other major western cities like Seattle, San Fran, Denver, L.A., etc.. They also like the fact that SLC's economy is better than a lot of the other cities out west.

The part of the company that is staying in Atlanta will be there for all the international relations and international business. They need the easy convenience of the Atlanta airport for the company. Also the ATLANTA name helps them world wide as well because it's obviously a major city with a lot of big name companies there already. Location Location what it's all about for this company. They are keeping the international 'part' of the business in ATL due to its geographical location with Africa, Europe, Latin America (including South America).

With this company in SLC, I can see them building stronger relationships with Atlanta and possibly Seattle. Seattle was another city they were looking at a couple years ago along with SLC. Seattle is not out the posibility of expanding their with this company as well. They want a larger presence is Asia, so the Seattle tech business helps a lot, same with its geographical location as well. But again, Seattle is much further down the road, SLC needs to happen before they can start looking at Seattle. There is a company in Seattle and one is Vancouver that they are working with now to build a stronger presence in Asia. Asia is a newer market to them.


Thanks for the info.
     
     
  #1638  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 8:52 PM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
Thanks Green Bro. Really I think we just need to wait and see what happens - it's not really fun speculating. I am wondering though, from your comments, would SLC be their world headquarters, or just like their regional headquarters, with Atlanta keeping the world headquarters part? For instance, if you were to look them up, where would it say their headquarters were located after all this?
     
     
  #1639  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 9:03 PM
Green Bro Green Bro is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Thanks Green Bro. Really I think we just need to wait and see what happens - it's not really fun speculating. I am wondering though, from your comments, would SLC be their world headquarters, or just like their regional headquarters, with Atlanta keeping the world headquarters part? For instance, if you were to look them up, where would it say their headquarters were located after all this?
The best way to compare it or look at it is...

Japan Airlines uses Tokyo Narita Airport (in this cae Atlanta) for its int'l travel, but uses Tokyo Heneda Airport (in this case SLC) for domestic travel. The two are just the same, one is not greater than the other. They are the two main travel points but used for two different markets.
     
     
  #1640  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 9:14 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
The Tribune building is the fourth building down on the block and sits at mid block. From the Corner down you have the Bennion Jewlers Building, the former SLCC building/Prudential Savings(going way back), the former bank/museum, the former Inkley/museum, the NAC advertising building, then the trib building.

The LDS church has been in negotiations with SLC to sale the 3 buildings between Bennion Jewelers and the Tribune building for the new Salt Lake City Performing arts center. To the East of the corner is the Bennion Jewlers Building, the Martine/Ahh sushi building (sandstone brownstone) and the new Deseret News building, I don't really see those buildings coming down anytime soon either. So that is why I ruled out that location for the time being. If the LDS Church has or is selling all 3 buildings to the City, I don't ever see the Glass Mystery Tower being built on that site, unless it can occupy the Bennion Jeweler building footprint, but as has been pointed out, the Glass Mystery Tower is very wide.
Future Mayor,
The old SL Trib building is the SLCC/Prudential Savings immediately south of the Bennion Jewelers. Plus, take a look at the picture of the model that was never supposed to be shown(the one that has the Mystery Glass Tower). Look, where it is located, and when you do your research on when PRI bought those properties, you will understand. They bought those properties prior to the presentation of City Creek Center in Oct. 06, and they decided at the last minute before the presentation to not show it with the Mystery Glass Tower. I was privy to some of that information due to my former work.

The picture of the model is here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=115696
I can't access my insert image icon. So, just check it out.

Regardless of all this, I do hope you are right. I don't want those buildings torn down for a 'Mystery Glass Tower'. Maybe they speculated on selling the buildings to the city because the company wanting to occupy that new tower couldn't commit. But now, maybe things have changed. And, have you wondered why there hasn't been any new information regarding the Performing Arts Center? Maybe the city and the LDS church/CCRI/PRI are waiting to hear if this company is now going to commit. Either way, I wish both the Performing Arts Center and the new tower were built not there. The new tower could take the SW corner of Main and 1st, and I think a new Performing Arts Center would be much better in the long run if it was more prominently displayed by being built on an 'empty' downtown parcel and for better visibility.

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 7, 2009 at 9:27 PM.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:50 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.