HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3921  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 7:27 PM
Rogie's Avatar
Rogie Rogie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 433
/\ that makes sense. I'm not happy about it, but it makes sense.
     
     
  #3922  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 8:03 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
For greater clarity: KLM is not getting the loads it needs from YVR and YYC and AF from YVR and the only way to ensure some longer term viability is to code share through WJ. Air Transat is cherry picking the tourist set further weakening the opportunities to fill flights. Edmonton is totally an untapped market so ripe for the picking and funnel to YYC and YVR. Our only hope is for AC & LH to provide us our FRA route sooner than later. I trust that EIA planners and marketers are running after this full tilt.

Westjet has loyalty only to its Calgary and Toronto HUBS. We get mediocre service at best.
     
     
  #3923  
Old Posted Jul 18, 2009, 10:25 PM
Jaws Jaws is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Westjet has loyalty only to its Calgary and Toronto HUBS. We get mediocre service at best.
Unfortunately, AC also has loyalty only to its hubs. AC has historically ignored Edmonton. FRA would be great.....CDG.....AMS....
     
     
  #3924  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2009, 11:24 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Unfortunately, AC also has loyalty only to its hubs. AC has historically ignored Edmonton. FRA would be great.....CDG.....AMS....
I know. If AC provides us FRA it will because they are doing it to prevent KLM/AF and WJ from picking up passengers from YEG - not because they really want to. I believe our greatest hopes are tied to the 3rd Alliance...and to untapped carriers such as Air Berlin etc.
     
     
  #3925  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2009, 5:59 AM
tuffyy's Avatar
tuffyy tuffyy is offline
Sand kicking airport guy.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.
Posts: 1,750
^ That would be the logical reason they would add FRA from YEG, The reason YEG-LHR was added was the fear of losing traffic to BA when it added YYC (Notice the timing?) it was clear...

Speaking to some of former co-workers recently YEG-LHR is still a strong show on the market and yields are good through the summer thus far.

Adios.
     
     
  #3926  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 3:20 PM
y2k_pony y2k_pony is offline
Let's go Red Wings!
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta.
Posts: 188
Anyone hear about the plane that crashed at YEG yesterday? I think it was a North Cariboo King Air.
     
     
  #3927  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 4:50 PM
lubicon's Avatar
lubicon lubicon is offline
Suburban dweller
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Posts: 5,047
Gear up landing is all that I can find right now. Not sure of the circumstances, but I don't know if I would call it a crash.
__________________
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Albert Einstein
     
     
  #3928  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 7:08 PM
Rogie's Avatar
Rogie Rogie is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 433
Stats Can reporting this morning that aircraft movements at YEG were down 2.1% last month compared to June 2008. For comparison sake: YYC down 4.4%, YYZ down 6.2%, YVR down 0.9%, and YXD down 12.1%.

link: Statistics Canada
     
     
  #3929  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 8:39 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
     
     
  #3930  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 8:42 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
what are we.... a paratrooper now?
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #3931  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 8:56 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
pretty much. I just traveled on Easyjet, and it was a much different experience. I was expecting something like westjet. But not even close. the average age of the traveler was about 20-25 I would say. backpackers and the like. it seems ryanair and easyjet is the new eurorail. (I dont know, the best memories I have of europe was traveling through europe rather than over it).
rush seating,
selling raffle tickets onboard,
making the passengers clean up - so they dont have to pay a crew,
all food, bevies for sale,
seatback advertising..
just waiting for them to pass a hat around.
__________________
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980
     
     
  #3932  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 9:23 PM
tuffyy's Avatar
tuffyy tuffyy is offline
Sand kicking airport guy.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k_pony View Post
Anyone hear about the plane that crashed at YEG yesterday? I think it was a North Cariboo King Air.

TSB report says the crew neglected (forgot?!?) to lower the landing gear...
I would say a couple of people are looking for job's.It was either C-GPCB or C-GTLS, And yep it was North Cariboo.

Pics here from Avcanada, Just scroll down.http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=56448
     
     
  #3933  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2009, 10:01 PM
Edmonchuck's Avatar
Edmonchuck Edmonchuck is offline
why try anymore
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Posts: 3,314
It was an oops IMO...
__________________
Change is impossible if the impediments to it remain in positions of power. Some people need to retire, and in Edmonton speak, that means they will die in their office.
     
     
  #3934  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 3:20 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
So did any of you catch the Evergreen 747 Supertanker in YEG?



AvCanada thread link: http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=56570
     
     
  #3935  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 4:04 PM
oiler-dude's Avatar
oiler-dude oiler-dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
pretty much. I just traveled on Easyjet, and it was a much different experience. I was expecting something like westjet. But not even close. the average age of the traveler was about 20-25 I would say. backpackers and the like. it seems ryanair and easyjet is the new eurorail. (I dont know, the best memories I have of europe was traveling through europe rather than over it).
rush seating,
selling raffle tickets onboard,
making the passengers clean up - so they dont have to pay a crew,
all food, bevies for sale,
seatback advertising..
just waiting for them to pass a hat around.
But is there anything necessarily wrong with that? Naturally, it's not a match made for everyone, but as a discount travel option I think it's great. I wish Canada had stuff like that.

When I was over in Europe last year, I needed to get from Frankfurt to London. The train was going to run me over 100 Euro's. Went to RyanAir, and the flight literally cost me 0.00EUR, I only paid airport fees.

Was it a comfortable flight? Not particularly. It was cramped. Was it WestJet? Hell no. Was it cheap? Yes.

Most of RyanAir's flights are tops 2 hours. I'll gladly sit in cramped seats with advertising and cheesy music playing for a flight that costs me, with taxes, 18 EUR.

Train still trumps, though, that I'll agree with. But sometimes you don't have the time, in which case a carrier like RyanAir is perfect.
     
     
  #3936  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:05 PM
acadams acadams is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
But is there anything necessarily wrong with that? Naturally, it's not a match made for everyone, but as a discount travel option I think it's great. I wish Canada had stuff like that.

When I was over in Europe last year, I needed to get from Frankfurt to London. The train was going to run me over 100 Euro's. Went to RyanAir, and the flight literally cost me 0.00EUR, I only paid airport fees.

Was it a comfortable flight? Not particularly. It was cramped. Was it WestJet? Hell no. Was it cheap? Yes.

Most of RyanAir's flights are tops 2 hours. I'll gladly sit in cramped seats with advertising and cheesy music playing for a flight that costs me, with taxes, 18 EUR.

Train still trumps, though, that I'll agree with. But sometimes you don't have the time, in which case a carrier like RyanAir is perfect.
are you implying westjet isn't cramped? I'm 6' and 150lbs..definitely not the biggest guy..and by the end of a pearson to YEG flight I felt like sprinting off the plane to get some personal space back..I'll never figure out how people do the flight to hawaii on westjet..
     
     
  #3937  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:10 PM
oiler-dude's Avatar
oiler-dude oiler-dude is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by acadams View Post
are you implying westjet isn't cramped? I'm 6' and 150lbs..definitely not the biggest guy..and by the end of a pearson to YEG flight I felt like sprinting off the plane to get some personal space back..I'll never figure out how people do the flight to hawaii on westjet..
You haven't seen cramped until you've flown with the likes of RyanAir, and other true discount options.

WestJet borders on roomy compared to RyanAir. I'm 5'8", 150lbs and I was uncomfortable on RyanAir. They cram something like 5+ extra rows of seating into a conventional airplane (I believe 737s? I'm not too familiar with planes).
     
     
  #3938  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:22 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,127
westjet is very roomy compared to most airlines i find... and i am 6' 200 lbs.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #3939  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:23 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
/\ you should have seen the CRJ's that AmericaWest was flying on their LAS-YEG route. I have never been in such a cramped seat... that was rediculous.
__________________
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg
     
     
  #3940  
Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:57 PM
acadams acadams is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 25
that's a shame..I hope I never have to experience flying those other carriers.
air canada for me <3 I've always had a great time with them..I'm not sure why everyone I ever talk to seems to hate them.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:31 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.