HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3921  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 7:11 AM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
David
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia
Posts: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
hehehe I was wondering why the pictures seemed to focus on the construction men and them being bent over in like semi-homosexual positions. I think the photographer is just embarrassed that he got cause all blue balled taking photos of construction men.

Example 1 http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackbird_hollow/3720779863/ (bend it like beckham and being lined up from behind)

2 http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackbird_hollow/3720778395/ (you screw that pole big boy)

3 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackbird_hollow/3721595354/ (pour that your dirty dirty men)


I rest my case........jury?

This just raises so many more questions. Primarily, how was this necessary? and why are you so juvenile?
     
     
  #3922  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 8:49 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,123
this plaza on alberni has been fenced off - any idea why? I know the Liquor store is going in here but are they redoinghe plaza too?




infill on Davie...


and the convention centre - whats with the windows? all along are these weird tape markings? are they to pinpoint problems or a new weird language?


and a broken one!


and these for lease posters have popped up on the retail spaces... for the convention centre
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #3923  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 8:55 AM
WaxItYourself WaxItYourself is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blackbird View Post
Delirium ... I'm glad you like my photos and that you provided a link to each one on Flickr, but it would be nice if you would respect international copyright law, the all rights reserved mark on each page you lifted my shots off, the warning on my Flickr profile page and basic human courtesy by requesting permission to use them.

It always amazes me how people who would never think of walking into a Safeway, grabbing a few groceries and walking out of the store without paying think nothing of stealing copyrighted property.This morning, someone in the UK blogged one of my shots in a story about how people can better protect thenselves from theft!!!

Who are you people?
If you don't want people to steal your photos then you should either contact flickr or start your own website. There are ways that can make the photos only available for viewing from your own website while still being opened to the public.
     
     
  #3924  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:02 AM
The Blackbird The Blackbird is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8
Response

Those who expressed annoyance with my request to have my photos removed from this thread have no respect for the law. And that whole "It's the Internet, stupid" line of thought reveals a complete lack of respect for the freedoms so many Canadian died in defense of during World War II.

Sure anyone could have taken those photos, but I took the time out of my day to shoot them, edit them and bring them to you on Flickr and you apparently enjoyed them once they turned up here, even the "semi-homosexual" ones (something that hadn't entered my thoughts until you'd mentioned it), until I demanded their removal. I make part of my living through photography which means I rely strongly on the copyright law to guard my livelihood. It's key to my success in the business. Clearly, you fail to appreciate this.

There are other reasons why I decided not to post the photos. They concern aspects of the gentrification of the Downtown Eastside which concern its residents. Given the comments which preceded the removal of my shots, I felt a distinct lack of understanding on the part of those who left them. But you're all normal people who live in BC, the greatest place on earth where for six years running we've had the worst child poverty rate in the country while being one of only two "have" provinces. I wouldn't have expected different.

Yume-sama, for your benefit, I make all sizes available to everyone because I've been told many times that the large sizes are often awesome to view. I want people to enjoy my work, but if they want to use it for some other purpose I count on their showing respect for the law. I allow some to use my photos without asking, but I have developed a relationship with them and trust their judgement. I don't set myself up for persecution as you suggest. Rather, I hold the optimistic view that people can for the most part be trusted to abide by copyright law. I receive many requests each week from people all over the world who want to use my photos for one purpose or another. Sometimes I will charge a fee, sometime I won't. But the choice is mine. I own this creation. There are a thousand reasons people might have for wanting to use it than sharing it with a few others on a board about construction. They can be used in textbooks, magazines, government websites, in documentary films. So, I hate to burst your bubble but I didn't create these exclusively for your viewing pleasure.

I apologize to jlousa for what this has become. He treated me with respect and pointed out that this group's own rules indicate contact must be made with the copyright holder of material used here. This didn't happen in my case. You're all acting pissy toward me when you should be asking your buddy why he didn't ask first. Sorry, Jlousa

Have a nice night, folks.

Last edited by jlousa; Jul 18, 2009 at 1:39 AM. Reason: to remove my name
     
     
  #3925  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:22 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,123
no ones losing or paying any money to put em here
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #3926  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:25 AM
The Blackbird The Blackbird is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8
Everyone loses when the law is broken.
     
     
  #3927  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:27 AM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,123
what laws?

seriously i am not being stupid
__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #3928  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 9:33 AM
The Blackbird The Blackbird is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
It is only truly considered theft if someone else makes money off of another's copyrighted image. Such as if they pose it as their own and sell it to a magazine. Otherwise, if a link is posted and a photographer credited it is pretty much fare game. If anything it is free advertisement.
Are you making this up as you go along? Read the law. The "all" in all rights reserved is there for a reason. The person who posted my shots on this board broke the law when he downloaded my shot. He's not allowed to store it, reproduce it or use it, privately or publicly, for any purpose without my written permission. Go to Chapters. I'm sure they'll have a copy of Copyright for Dummies, if such a book exists. If you bring a shopping bag and a coat, maybe you can steal it and make up your own version of our laws against theft to justify that.
     
     
  #3929  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 11:36 AM
vanman's Avatar
vanman vanman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 6,487
Dude seriously, stop whining. Why don't you just stop posting your pics on flickr if you feel so emotionally attached to them instead of trying to self police the internet.
     
     
  #3930  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 11:47 AM
giallo's Avatar
giallo giallo is offline
be nice to the crackheads
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 12,751
As someone who also makes his living almost exclusively from photography, I've gotta agree..... not with Blackbird.
Honestly man, you can claim copyright laws all you want, but it's not going to change much unless the person actually sells your photo or uses it to make money in a publication or gallery. You should feel flattered if anything.
I have countless people linking my photos, but rather than whine and complain, I put my name across it. This helps me in two ways; 1. The person who copied the image can't use it because my name is on it and 2. It gives others who come across the image online my name. A simple google will link them to hundreds of other photos mine via flickr, urbanphoto.net etc.

It's not the 20th century anymore. Embrace technology and the FREE website your pictures are being posted on.
     
     
  #3931  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 12:30 PM
Delirium's Avatar
Delirium Delirium is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,227
^ now there's someone with a head!

all this discussion over pictures of a freakin SIDEWALK under construction! hilarious.

BIRD. I didn't steal your pictures nor did I save them to my computer. I simply linked them to this forum. CHILL OUT. In case you didn't notice, this is a 'Project & constructions' thread. We couldn't care less who took the pictures but rather the subject matter.

Anyway, you can go away now and continue to stir in your negativity and how the world is rapping you and everything you have.

and no worries, I definitely won't be visiting your photo page again.
     
     
  #3932  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 2:11 PM
quobobo quobobo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blackbird View Post
Those who expressed annoyance with my request to have my photos removed from this thread have no respect for the law. And that whole "It's the Internet, stupid" line of thought reveals a complete lack of respect for the freedoms so many Canadian died in defense of during World War II.
I almost wet myself laughing at this. "How dare you!? Our predecessors fought the Nazis so that I could be notified when someone wants to look at a photo I posted online".

I have relatives who did fight in WWII, and if I was as uptight as you I might be offended that someone would use their sacrifice to argue something so... trivial.

Quote:
Sure anyone could have taken those photos, but I took the time out of my day to shoot them, edit them and bring them to you on Flickr and you apparently enjoyed them once they turned up here, even the "semi-homosexual" ones (something that hadn't entered my thoughts until you'd mentioned it), until I demanded their removal. I make part of my living through photography which means I rely strongly on the copyright law to guard my livelihood. It's key to my success in the business. Clearly, you fail to appreciate this.
Well, this just proves it - photography really is for jerkoffs
     
     
  #3933  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 2:51 PM
shaners shaners is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheosfog View Post
As long as my photos are properly linked and credited, I never have a problem with other people posting my pics as long as they're not trying to make money off my hard work. It just draws more attention to my flickr site anyway. I mean, it's posted on a public flickr site on the internet.
Equating that with stealing from a store is apples to oranges, it really is, don't kid yourself.

And we're all normal people from many walks of life. Who the hell are you?
well put! isn't that the whole idea of putting images on the internet anyways?
     
     
  #3934  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:07 PM
mr.x's Avatar
mr.x mr.x is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 12,805
Yea...I do see Blackbird's point, and as a gay guy myself I don't see why it was necessary for that gay remark hollywoodnorth. Those were his pictures, and he should be able to criticize those who use them without credit.

But blackbird, keep in mind that we merely discuss the topic at hand in the pictures....it wasn't as if anyone here was going to use them for commercial use. So please, calm down. It is the internet afterall.

As much as I love delirium's posts, he has always made note that photos he posted were not his and were from Flickr. I find it far too time consuming as well, but perhaps a link should be provided too?

However, Blackbird's leftist Downtown Eastsider activist views is something i'll have to quite strongly disagree with.
     
     
  #3935  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:25 PM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,784
The use in this situation is not copying, it is hotlinking. It is like setting up a camera in a book store focused on the cover of a book. Sure you can see the book through the camera, but it is not being reproduced in any meaningful way. Further, we have no interest in the artistic composure of the photo, but rather similarly, being able to see an area where we do not travel to all that frequently in order to see what is happening there. For all I care, somebody could have sketched out in paint what was happening on the street, and I don't think that we would perceive a huge difference in value.
     
     
  #3936  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:34 PM
hrhsheba hrhsheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
in general, i think our streets are in pretty good shape. i don't know if every street needs a special treatment but i do agree that it would be great to see more of this type of detail.

i like the leaf imprints you see in the sidewalks around yaletown. that's kinda neat.
try walking on them in stilettos - you wouldn't find them so neat!
     
     
  #3937  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:36 PM
The Blackbird The Blackbird is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 8
quobobo

I have several relatives, deceased and living, who also fought in WWII. They fought for the free society we enjoy today. Today, here at home, we can enjoy that freedom or we can take advantage of it. We enjoy it when we use our freedom wisely and respect the right of others to do the same. My point is, when laws are broken - even laws which protect photos of a sidewalk from being used without permission - that freedom is slightly diminished.

May I suggest to everyone here that many photos by many photographers have a Creative Commons license attached to them. This means the photographer has given advance agreement for others to use, alter, sell their photos without having to ask permission from the creator. It's a good place for people like yourself who enjoy using photos but who don't want to buy a decent camera, learn how to use it, actually use it, do the post-processing, upload them to the Internet, etc.
     
     
  #3938  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 3:39 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,721
Holy 🞵🞵🞵🞵. Welcome to the internet, deal with it.

To get back on topic, good post about the jail, bring it to the criminals.

What ever happened to that jail anyway, I thought there was a holding centre below the cop shop on Main that opened like 20 years ago?
     
     
  #3939  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 4:24 PM
SpongeG's Avatar
SpongeG SpongeG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 40,123
no one commented on my photos



__________________
belowitall
     
     
  #3940  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2009, 4:34 PM
flight_from_kamakura's Avatar
flight_from_kamakura flight_from_kamakura is offline
testify
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: san francisco and montreal
Posts: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blackbird View Post
Everyone loses when the law is broken.
wow, dude, this is approaching maniacal. your images were posted on a website for development enthusiasts ≠ theft. but then, if you're feeling so passionate about it (which, for some highly strange reason, you seem to be) why contact not the appropriate authorities?

VPD NON-EMERGENCY CALLS 604-717-3321

seriously, call the cops on this criminal enterprise! bring us before a judge! hahahaha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
infill on Davie...
nice pics, where is this one exactly?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:55 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.