HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations



Related Pages:  • Chicago Projects & Construction Forum  • Chicago Highrise Developments Map


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2081  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 3:54 AM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 16,998
You can't resist flaunting your new digs, can you?

The shot is beautiful. I wonder when EnV will start to get its glass. I expect it to be like the glass at 1401 South State, another VDT building with a similar design.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
     
     
  #2082  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 4:48 AM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Closeted Normie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 13,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrabbit View Post
^ Wow, still more great pics, and from a project we haven't been seeing much of here. You even got the beach shadow in on that last one.

-----



Still, seems like any expense in removing the tags would be more than offset by the benefits accruing from a larger 24/7 student presence in The Loop.
I'm not saying it wouldn't. I think the whole graffiti "problem" in Chicago is blown out of proportion, especially when compared to other US and world cities.
__________________
The guy above me designs synthetic hairballs for ceramic cats

Sic semper tyrannis
     
     
  #2083  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 2:31 PM
jpIllInoIs's Avatar
jpIllInoIs jpIllInoIs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,228
the Wit is a hit!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel/chi-0621-the-witjun21,0,2318988.story

Chicago's Wit hotel an entertainer
By Christopher Borrelli | Tribune reporter
June 21, 2009
The phone rang.

It was 6 a.m.
"Yes," I said, groggy.
It was the president.
"Enough filibustering!" he shouted.
"OK, but ..."
"Up and at 'em!" he shouted.
"All right, fine!"
On the other end, I heard a dog bark, presumably Bo, the Portuguese water dog. I swung my feet off the bed. "Are you done?" I asked, but the line was already dead.

Now, here's what's unusual about that:
No. 1, the president rarely calls; No. 2, 6 a.m. calls from the president are very unusual; No. 3, I was talking to a recording; and No. 4, the president, despite a halting syntax I assumed belonged to Barack Obama, sounded like a Bill Clinton impersonator. Which is possible. I was waking up on a Tuesday in the Wit hotel in the North Loop, that slender new 27-story building with the chartreuse lightning bolt plunging down the facade, at State and Lake Streets. The Wit hired a handful of Second City actors to record its wake-up calls. You choose your poison the night before. Do you want an Ann Landers impression? Harry Caray? (Too loud.) Or Mayor Richard Daley? (Too scary.)

The Wit takes its name seriously; you wake with a smile. Still, local celebrity impersonators aside, even more surprising is how it weaves itself into the landscape, both aesthetically and culturally, and how staying there is not like staying at just any upscale chain hotel (though it is a Doubletree property). For instance, consider the bathrooms -- more specifically, consider how the bathrooms in the guest rooms offer you a remarkable opportunity to become a part of the Chicago landscape.

I stayed on the seventh floor, at the precise corner of State and Lake. The window in my bathroom stretched floor to ceiling, a sheer plate, and an exhibitionist's dream. The tub was against the glass, overlooking the CTA station. Draw the blinds. Or put on a show.

...................
     
     
  #2084  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 3:55 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawfin View Post
What a tool.....is this what we can expect from our 2 central area clowns.....Reilly and Fioretti......

Who feels threatened? Columbia and Depaul students are menaces to society ....we all know....

Threatened ....either this guy is an absolute 🞵🞵🞵🞵......or if there really have been letters that express feeling threatened by college students then those people are tools.....and I invite them ...no...admonish them to crawl back from whence they came
I agree with you 100%, which is why I spoke in favor of the dorm at plan commission.

One reason why it was deferred last month was because of him. Apparently, no particular school will be managing the dorm, and it was "OF CONCERN"!.

I said, that if crime was going to happen, it's going to happen. You can't place ankle monitors on the students to see what dorns they are affiliated with.

He's being a total douche...
__________________
titanic1
     
     
  #2085  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 5:44 PM
BorisMolotov's Avatar
BorisMolotov BorisMolotov is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 548
What's wrong with student housing? It would just be an offcampus apartment then really, but with students in mind. Many (if not all) college towns and cities have them.
     
     
  #2086  
Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 8:32 PM
wrab's Avatar
wrab wrab is offline
Deerhoof Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'm not saying it wouldn't. I think the whole graffiti "problem" in Chicago is blown out of proportion, especially when compared to other US and world cities.
Right- and you made a good point with that post, which I agree with completely.
     
     
  #2087  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 1:32 AM
gttx's Avatar
gttx gttx is offline
Urban Explorer
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I agree with you 100%, which is why I spoke in favor of the dorm at plan commission.
When does the planning commission meet? I just started a job in town (moved from Philadelphia) and would love to attend.
     
     
  #2088  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 1:56 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,329
^ We'll only tell you as long as you are pro-development
__________________
Supercar Adventures is my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4WNEwTDZlUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

People who say housing is a human right deserve to be homeless
     
     
  #2089  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 4:18 AM
gttx's Avatar
gttx gttx is offline
Urban Explorer
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ We'll only tell you as long as you are pro-development
I don't think you have to worry about that.
I'm a structural engineer turned planner turned real estate developer, and I'm interested in building skyscrapers.
     
     
  #2090  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 5:00 AM
J_M_Tungsten's Avatar
J_M_Tungsten J_M_Tungsten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,379
June 20

Flair Tower


Does anyone know what project the crane just west (or left) of Flair Tower is for?
     
     
  #2091  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 5:38 AM
VivaLFuego's Avatar
VivaLFuego VivaLFuego is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blue Island
Posts: 6,510
^Parc Huron (or whatever 469 W. Huron is being called these days).

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=271881
     
     
  #2092  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 6:33 PM
emathias emathias is offline
Adoptive Chicagoan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: River North, Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 5,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
...
Does anyone know what project the crane just west (or left) of Flair Tower is for?
Lifting things ...
     
     
  #2093  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 6:35 PM
J_M_Tungsten's Avatar
J_M_Tungsten J_M_Tungsten is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Lifting things ...
Can I find that on Emporis?
     
     
  #2094  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 3:18 AM
Joe Zekas Joe Zekas is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 352
Panoramic view from Mondial



Photo by Joe Askins. Much larger version at Flickr. More panoramas in the YoChicago photostream at Flickr.

Mondial is at 900 W. Huron in River West, in an enclave of modernist buildings by architect Jack Berger. Worth a visit if you haven't seen them.

Last edited by Joe Zekas; Jun 23, 2009 at 4:03 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
     
     
  #2095  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:53 PM
gttx's Avatar
gttx gttx is offline
Urban Explorer
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 2,107
Not sure what building is going up next to the El tracks between the river and Washington and Wells, but they are up to the second floor now. Creates a nice wall now, instead of looking down into the foundation.
     
     
  #2096  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 6:41 PM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
Not sure what building is going up next to the El tracks between the river and Washington and Wells, but they are up to the second floor now. Creates a nice wall now, instead of looking down into the foundation.
210 N Wells
---

http://interactive.chicagobusiness.com/closer/constructionpipeline/private/

2009/06/22 353 North Halsted 36-story apartment building, $37 million 353 N Halsted St, Chicago, IL 60661, USA Cook

Found this rendering, not sure how recent it is:

Last edited by spyguy; Jun 23, 2009 at 6:57 PM.
     
     
  #2097  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 8:31 PM
F1 Tommy's Avatar
F1 Tommy F1 Tommy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Zekas View Post


Photo by Joe Askins. Much larger version at Flickr. More panoramas in the YoChicago photostream at Flickr.

Mondial is at 900 W. Huron in River West, in an enclave of modernist buildings by architect Jack Berger. Worth a visit if you haven't seen them.
Great shot. I love your wide photo sets. I wonder what a shot from on top Oak Brook's tallest would like like. Maybe the best view from the west on a clear day.

TT
     
     
  #2098  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 9:03 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,831
06/20/09
__________________
titanic1
     
     
  #2099  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 9:05 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
210 N Wells
---

http://interactive.chicagobusiness.com/closer/constructionpipeline/private/

2009/06/22 353 North Halsted 36-story apartment building, $37 million 353 N Halsted St, Chicago, IL 60661, USA Cook

Found this rendering, not sure how recent it is:
If that's the next K-stuff building, that rendering is old.
__________________
titanic1
     
     
  #2100  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 11:06 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 16,998
I'm not sure it is an old design. Awhile back, I posted a rendering of a modern building at that site, but the model on display at Echelon shows buildings in the same Neo-Deco style. I will be very disappointed if this is the design that gets built, though. The site is directly on axis with the Kennedy, and due to the way Hubbard's Cave is set up, nothing can be built in front of it.

Facing southeast:


The trench between the two buildings is for the future high-speed rail line into Clinton Street, and the tennis court on the right side of the image would be directly above the Kennedy.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:44 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.