Quote:
Originally Posted by fever
Trolleys are slower because they have timing stops. In order to keep to the schedule, when it gets to some predetermined point in its route the bus sits there and annoys everyone on it for five minutes. I avoid trolleys (and buses that aren't b-lines) because I hate timing stops. I don't mind that the trolleys have to slow down at intersections. Maybe I'm impatient, but I'd guess about half the people out there are even more impatient.
To avoid the need for timing stops, I think Translink should plan routes that are as short as possible. The driver should be on schedule at the beginning of the route, then try to get to the end as quickly as possible. The quicker they get there, the more time they have to read the paper.
|
I don't see how this would avoid timing stops. Timing points are essential for a reliable system that keeps buses on time.
Buses that come reliably and predictably on time are more important than buses that outperform their schedules.
You also don't want drivers getting to their destinations early. you want them on time.
Unless the buses are coming every 10 minutes or less, timing points are vital for people who are making bus to bus transfers and people who schedule their trips. If they're running frequent enough that people don't bother checking a schedule, THEN you can remove the timing points.
If you're on an evening trip, planning on taking the 25 out of Nanaimo back to UBC, for example, it would 🞵🞵🞵🞵 if you had to wait an extra 30 minutes because the bus left early.
Timing points improve reliability and I'm sure that in most cases, you're not waiting for 5 minutes. It may seem like 5 minutes, but it's probably no more than two or three in practice.