HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1621  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:10 PM
sammo sammo is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
why don't you do it?
cuz i'm from 'here', t.o.!
do you want another t.o. skyline pic already? even i'm getting bored with too much local pics -becoming too toronto heavy. i almost want to appologize.

i'd like to see and critique/compare/appreciate/belittle/etc. some other skylines too.
     
     
  #1622  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:17 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammo View Post
i'd like to see and critique/compare/appreciate/belittle/etc. some other skylines too.
Belittle Calgary! Feast your eyes upon our sub-800' tall buildings! Laugh at our ridiculous colour schemes on some of our newer condo towers! Contemplate suicide as you gaze upon the works of Point of View developments!

You may also chuckle at our abundance of twin towers (there's 3 in the pic I posted! Not counting the triple tower complex!), faux heritage brick podiums and never ending cookie cutter suburbs. IT CAN ALL BE YOURS!
     
     
  #1623  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:24 PM
sammo sammo is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,171
thanx Bigtime.

calgary has alot of interesting 'stuff' in the skyline to look at and stuff.
     
     
  #1624  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:33 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
Doubles I see Petro Canada, Bankers Hall and Penn West (the second one isn't finished) I see the 3 Sun Life buildings and 3 of 4 Bow Valley square buildings. Man we sure like to have lots of different kinds of buildings within a single development here.
__________________
Git'er done!
     
     
  #1625  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 6:34 PM
sammo sammo is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamano View Post
I don't really know what the hell you mean but the closest Toronto's skyline has ever been to Chicagos was probably back in the late seventies.

I wouldn't count on the average heights over the past five years to continue either. There just isn't enough demand for 400+ suites buildings and almost every week another of these launched towers gets canned.
height withstanding. Chicago is insane!
i believe they have less offended, more daring city/urban planners that appreciate and understand the value of world class skyscrapers
-and nimbys are properly 'dealt with'/ignored, im sure.

i knew i should'a included this disclaimer!
     
     
  #1626  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 7:14 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fb View Post
Are people this stupid back east. You give Nicko a run for his money.

If you're going to call me stupid, at least do everyone here a favor and state what is so stupid about the post you quoted. - Cause I think it's very clear that I never stated that chicago was not a great skyline...or that Toronto was superior...

People drew their own conclusions from a post in which someone made a comment about not liking the CN Tower in the skyline...

I made a post defending the CN Tower in the Toronto skyline, as it created some uniqueness, without which, I think Toronto's skyline would be pretty hum-drum.....
     
     
  #1627  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 7:49 PM
truedaniel's Avatar
truedaniel truedaniel is offline
Go Sens!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 89
Appreciate the afternoon laughs!!!
Chi-town is not even in the same league, let it go girls!
Let's see some skyline pics... (no waterfront TO pics though, enough! lol)
     
     
  #1628  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 8:33 PM
WhipperSnapper's Avatar
WhipperSnapper WhipperSnapper is offline
I am the law!
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Toronto+
Posts: 22,898
Quote:
i believe they have less offended, more daring city/urban planners that appreciate and understand the value of world class skyscrapers
-and nimbys are properly 'dealt with'/ignored, im sure.
It's just different. They have 30 times the companies requiring 250,00 square feet or more, a larger high end condo apartment market, and strict height limits outside the city core. And, while I wholeheartly agree they have a great history of skyscraper building I'm certainly not convinced the vast majority of what has been built over this past boom is any better than you get here unless height is all you care about. I can do without Toronto's love affair with colonades but appreciate people actually living on floors two to ten.

I imagine everyone who doesn't kiss developer's 🞵🞵🞵 is a NIMBY in your mind. Typical YIMBYism. Completely ignoring community consultation has almost always yielded a better product regardless if a few metres were lost in the process. (and very often means a few metres added.)
     
     
  #1629  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 9:30 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
     
     
  #1630  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 10:10 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
I knew Calgary was the real centre of the universe, that or we're getting sucked into a black hole.
__________________
Git'er done!
     
     
  #1631  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 10:38 PM
Aylmer's Avatar
Aylmer Aylmer is offline
Still optimistic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal (C-D-N) / Ottawa (Aylmer)
Posts: 5,407
Ahem.

Read my location.

__________________
I've always struggled with reality. And I'm pleased to say that I won.
     
     
  #1632  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:00 PM
sammo sammo is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamano View Post
It's just different. They have 30 times the companies requiring 250,00 square feet or more, a larger high end condo apartment market, and strict height limits outside the city core. And, while I wholeheartly agree they have a great history of skyscraper building I'm certainly not convinced the vast majority of what has been built over this past boom is any better than you get here unless height is all you care about. I can do without Toronto's love affair with colonades but appreciate people actually living on floors two to ten.

I imagine everyone who doesn't kiss developer's 🞵🞵🞵 is a NIMBY in your mind. Typical YIMBYism. Completely ignoring community consultation has almost always yielded a better product regardless if a few metres were lost in the process. (and very often means a few metres added.)
Skyscrapers are (in my opinion) not just tall buildings but beautiful 'objects' or icons that are best appreciated from afar.
you really can't view or assess them properly from too close. they need good podiums or 'squares' to make them human.
tall building may accomodate the need for more square footage in limited space but there's probably a 'optimum' or reasonable max. height most buildings have to be in our cities -probably 5 to 10 storeys.
as a resident, i'll agree that the 'premium' floors are lower ones -plus 'good urban planning'... BUT booooring for skyline (i'm thinking london,u.k. -i love london, fav foriegn city)
many old euro cities are mostly based on (roman) concentric plans which lend well to relatively uniform building height.
our modern n.american cities are usually grid plot and the skyscraper is our shtick.
i'm not saying one's better than the other (i actually prefer a rigid grid -Mies good -LeCorb, meh)

as far as chicago having "30 times the companies" and stuff... i'm not sure i'd agree, totally.
certainly they have approx. one and a half our population, but i believe toronto's 'hinterlands' are more dependant on toronto than chicago's. there's more choice cities for companies to locate in the u.s. (i'd liken this comparison to each respective stock exchange)
overall (without checking) they probably have more office space.

Last edited by sammo; May 21, 2009 at 12:37 AM.
     
     
  #1633  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:02 PM
Doug_Cgy Doug_Cgy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 1,142
I don't see where these childish antics come from. I don't think CalTrane had any ill intent or implications with the comments he made whatsoever, it was just an opinion about the CN Tower. Face it, some people like Chicago, some Toronto...Who gives a f*ck? I think they're both AWESOME cities, with AMAZING skylines!
     
     
  #1634  
Old Posted May 20, 2009, 11:03 PM
sammo sammo is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: toronto
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamano View Post
I imagine everyone who doesn't kiss developer's 🞵🞵🞵 is a NIMBY in your mind. Typical YIMBYism. Completely ignoring community consultation has almost always yielded a better product regardless if a few metres were lost in the process. (and very often means a few metres added.)
is that you jane? jane jacobs?
     
     
  #1635  
Old Posted May 21, 2009, 12:54 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
     
     
  #1636  
Old Posted May 21, 2009, 1:53 AM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post
Ahem.

Read my location.

nobody cares for location.
     
     
  #1637  
Old Posted May 21, 2009, 10:50 AM
Aylmer's Avatar
Aylmer Aylmer is offline
Still optimistic
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal (C-D-N) / Ottawa (Aylmer)
Posts: 5,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
nobody cares for location.
Ah, ah, ah!

Location, location, location!

__________________
I've always struggled with reality. And I'm pleased to say that I won.
     
     
  #1638  
Old Posted May 21, 2009, 1:16 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
I'm sorry, I could of said this better, what I meant to type was...


Nobody cares about your location.

and then I was to add:



     
     
  #1639  
Old Posted May 21, 2009, 5:43 PM
G.S MTL's Avatar
G.S MTL G.S MTL is offline
MTL♥
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,496


flickr.com/mtip

I love this pic!



flickr.com/MeDennis



flickr.com/llahbocaj



flickr.com/wynlok
__________________
Montreal, Pearl of Canada.
Population: 4.6 Million

Last edited by G.S MTL; May 21, 2009 at 5:56 PM.
     
     
  #1640  
Old Posted May 21, 2009, 6:22 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 25,231
It looks from that picture that Montreal's downtown is similar in size to Calgary's, maybe a bit bigger.
__________________
Git'er done!
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:47 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.