Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster
"Just a mass of boxy point towers of varying heights" .... congratulations you just described a skyline.
If you cant see the differences between Chicago's skyline and Toronto's skyline then this discussion is as pointless as your many repetitive, exclamation point filled contributions to this forum.
|
you just proved my point.. and that it the CN Tower and the Skydome give Toronto's skyline a distinctive look. No one here reading this tread is getting my point, I put chicago in a group of cities that without distinctive landmarks could be just about any city. The fact the CN Tower is so tall and removed from the main cluster of buildings gives Toronto a unique look which is why it it considered one of the worlds great skylines!!!
I didn't say Toronto's skyline was superior to chicago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65
Although I am unhappy to admit it, Chicago does have a far superior skyline than Toronto does. Here are some simple numbers to consider:
Number of Built and U/C buildings over 500 feet
Chicago - 107
Toronto - 26
Number of Built and U/C buildings over 400 feet
Chicago - 192
Toronto - 72
Number of Built and U/C buildings over 300 feet
Chicago - 349
Toronto - 216
These numbers are from the SSP database.
|
Thanks for your attempt at back up koops, but like i said, This was not the game I was getting into here. I was just giving some credit to the CN Tower and Skydome for adding in distinctivness to the Toronto skyline. Without these the Toronto skyline could be just about any other city, except for the fact that outside of new york Toronto has more highrises than any other city than new york.... at least on this continent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim
Toronto is much closer to the lens in this shot than Chicago is.
Anyway, Chicago's skyline is superior than Toronto's, I don't see how hard that is to accept, nor for that mater should it be an insult. Toronto can very well brag that its in the top 20 or top 10 in the world, it just ain't no Chicago.
|
Rico my point was not that Toronto's skyline was superior to chicago's. My point was that without the CN Tower and the Skydome the city could be just about any other city...these things here make Toronto unique in the world, at least when lined up in combination, and have assured Toronto a place in the list of the worlds top 10 skylines for aleast a while longer...with the consideration of all the new towers near 200 meter towers under construction right now here.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammo
ii used to believe, kinda still do:
50 years ago chicago was toronto 25 years ahead.
25 years ago chicago was toronto 10 years ahead.
today, chicago is toronto 5 years ahead -maybe.
|
Sammo, thanks for some excellent back up, however I need to point out that at least in this thread, I was not comparing Toronto's skyline to chicago. I just placed a group of random cities in a list that had skylines, which would be hard to separate from each other if they had no defining landmarks to break them out from your typical and random skyline shots!!
However with regards to the last part of your post about chicago, I totally agree.. Toronto is a speeding locomotive and chicago is clearly in our sights, and we should be getting ready for a head-on collision with the big boy of the united states as our organic urban growth takes this city to new hieghts!!!