HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4041  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 8:47 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
Mammoet is at Icon right now, could not see what was happening as i was in my 4 point.

hello spring.
     
     
  #4042  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 2:20 AM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
Played my first round of golf out here in Waterloo today... it was +15, and beautiful. I heard you still have a bit of a snow issue out there?
     
     
  #4043  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 5:01 PM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
Hey, hey now, I recall enjoying a beautiful 25C+ day in March and then snow and cold a week later. You're definately not out of the woods yet....consider it luck
     
     
  #4044  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 5:36 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
Let's just hope that by the time I get back out to Edmonton in a couple weeks, the snow is gone and the temperature is similar to what it is here... or higher.
     
     
  #4045  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 5:54 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 8,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
i was in my 4 point.
Awesome. I'm hoping for next weekend.
     
     
  #4046  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 10:54 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
This is interesting:
http://www.circonium.de/brauerei/vorher_nachher.html

Progress photos of an infill development in Berlin. Perhaps a little too 'utilitarian/Nazi Government-esque', but this would have looked 20 times better then Venitian in the same location. Oh 111th & 112th... what a joke you have become...
     
     
  #4047  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2009, 11:03 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
noticed the lot on jasper and 116 st that was re-mediated is now for sale...
     
     
  #4048  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 2:58 AM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
Off topic:

Fire Mact

Sorry for the diversion.
     
     
  #4049  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 3:41 AM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
^ Yes

@cold - old news...its been there for the past 2-3 weeks.
     
     
  #4050  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 5:08 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
I want to know when we will achieve something on par with 'colors' in calgary. While not amazing, its design is simple, effective, interesting, and uses quality materials. We honestly have nothing that touches this really and that is depressing considering that in vancouver these are run of the mill.



from 'regulator 75' at SSP
     
     
  #4051  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 5:12 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ It's nice enough but being from Vancouver I find that type stuff fairly run of the mill. I can't decide if I really do like the mosaic or really don't.

Bear in mind that Most of the pre-2004 Calgary condos were quite mediocre, basically indecipherable from our '04-08 stuff, and at the time Calgarians looked to Vancouver as an example of the type of architecture they wanted in their town. We're doing the same thing, five years later. I hope.
     
     
  #4052  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 5:16 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
^that's the thing though, run of the mill there is extraordinary here. I love the mosaic... might not age amazingly but sure seems to give it some life.

My problem is that they have elevated their 'game' substantially while we have made minor strides with more than a few steps backward.
     
     
  #4053  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 6:06 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
Feepa make forum go boom.



Skyline available by scrolling way over here ---->

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirkillex/3396352829/sizes/o/
     
     
  #4054  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 6:10 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
     
     
  #4055  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 6:11 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Quote:
^that's the thing though, run of the mill there is extraordinary here. I love the mosaic... might not age amazingly but sure seems to give it some life.
It does look nice but I still take issue with curatin wall systems being used in residential applications. I've seen what happens when an older system needs maintenance and I wouldn't want to be an owner in one of these buildings facing myultiple thousands of dollars in assesments when the seals, bracketology or some other part of the system requires replacement.

Stella is still my favorite new building down there. Colors looks like an office building.

On a C-town related note, I'll be down there on friday providing engineering support at jameson, it's been a while since I have been on site at a tower U/C. I'll make sure to bring my camera to get some good construction pix.



Crazy pano Feepa. That's right on my cycling route... Ada blvd and about 40st yes ?
     
     
  #4056  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 6:13 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
     
     
  #4057  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 6:14 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post

Crazy pano Feepa. That's right on my cycling route... Ada blvd and about 40st yes ?
Looks like it... Again... Not my work. I've linked to the original source on flickr.
     
     
  #4058  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 6:19 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
"It does look nice but I still take issue with curatin wall systems being used in residential applications. I've seen what happens when an older system needs maintenance and I wouldn't want to be an owner in one of these buildings facing myultiple thousands of dollars in assesments when the seals, bracketology or some other part of the system requires replacement."

as opposed to PVC 🞵🞵🞵🞵 products? Curtain wall can work very well but yes, there will be a higher replacement cost.
     
     
  #4059  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 6:27 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ Hey at least you can change PVC windows easily.

Ok I am kidding, I hate PVC windows in high rises as well, simply for asthetic reasons. I like aluminum framed sealed units for looks, longevity and ease of maintenance and repairs.
     
     
  #4060  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 6:42 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
^exactly... PVC should not be in anything over 5 storeys IMO or if a concrete structure.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:45 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.