I've been generally happy with YEG's strong development over the past 5-10 years, especially with the addition of far greater transborder services and the passenger numbers which consolidation has brought. There is no vacillation now that YEG is Canada's 'fifth' busiest airport, well ahead of YOW and YWG. Just a few years ago, the spread in passenger numbers between YEG and YOW and YWG was alot smaller. I'm sure the 2008 numbers will further confirm Edmonton's increasing relative importance!
Yet, I am a bit frustrated that some of the smaller airports like YOW and YWG seem a step ahead of us. Aesthetically speaking, I would argue that YOW and YWG (soon to be completed) made better decisions then YEG. That cascade waterfall at YOW is very impressive, as is the Cesar Pelli designed terminal at YWG. Moreover, why is it that YWG has managed to get is contiguous airport hotel built while YEG's modest Courtyard by Marriott is still postponed? Note that Halifax, another smaller airport has just announced plans for the construction of a full Sheraton by its airport. A final, somewhat trivial point, is that both YOW and YWG have second executive lounges (Servisair) while Edmonton is still stuck with only a Maple Leaf Lounge. That seems a bit funny when considering that YEG is Westjet's third busiest port, though I suppose that I can't think of a retail space to locate another lounge... but then that asks the question, why isn't there sufficient retail space in Edmonton?
Last edited by JBB; Jan 11, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
|