HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1981  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:33 PM
ExcaliburKid's Avatar
ExcaliburKid ExcaliburKid is offline
Derp
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,227
Nice. Wish I would have caught that!
     
     
  #1982  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:38 PM
tony0911 tony0911 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 484
Everybody check it out.

http://robotwithhumanbrain.com/x/na.mov
     
     
  #1983  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:44 PM
0773|=\ 0773|=\ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,256
<Drools>

I love the vintage look that the sign adds to the whole thing. Neat open concept. (Looks like Solar Panels too!)

Now let's see how Edmontonians are going to complain about it...

"Where's the parking?"

"What about wheel-chair accessibility?"

"That building looks weirder than the pyramid proposals at the city entrance!"

...Oh well. I think the powers that be have some brains.

I hope Edmonton gets something like this. Creative. Simple. Gorgeous.
     
     
  #1984  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:48 PM
ExcaliburKid's Avatar
ExcaliburKid ExcaliburKid is offline
Derp
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,227
That looks unreal!
     
     
  #1985  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:54 PM
TimB09 TimB09 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,526
What are the two buildings at Century Park that are at ground level right now? I believe one is the first tower, is it not?
     
     
  #1986  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:54 PM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony0911 View Post
Love it! Is this a real proposal for the arena?
     
     
  #1987  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:57 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
That is AWESOME!
No need for parking, lots of parkades downtown, LRT, Transit^
     
     
  #1988  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 7:59 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,566
     
     
  #1989  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:01 PM
0773|=\ 0773|=\ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
That is AWESOME!
No need for parking, lots of parkades downtown, LRT, Transit^
Oh, I know that. It's like a block away from Churchill station.

I'm just lamenting the fact that Edmontonians are going to start complaining, as they tend to do, as soon as they watch this video, and don't see a parkade anywhere...
     
     
  #1990  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:03 PM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
Is this just Dub's proposal, or is this THE proposal for the arena?
     
     
  #1991  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:05 PM
Jasper and one o nin's Avatar
Jasper and one o nin Jasper and one o nin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Лесные Высоты
Posts: 3,345
So I read that the City of Edmonton is budgeting about 250 million for a new office tower. Which makes sense considering the City is leasing space through the City. Given the tight vacancy rate downtown, if city staffers move into a new building it would free up some usable downtown space.
If I were making a decision on behalf of the City, I would proposes a new building in conjuntion with the downtown arena within the civic quarter of the quarters district. This could reduce some costs of construction for the arena projection, plus as part of the plan, a hotel could also be proposed, and i would guess that a developer would be quick to jump on board to develop the hotel portion.
     
     
  #1992  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:05 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,566
I think its just Dub's. I'm sure its probably one of a few, and Dub is just trying to gain support. I feel there will be an actual announcement come January...

Katz prolly put out a few RFPs and this is just one of them.
     
     
  #1993  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:08 PM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
Is this the site the owners have settled on for the arena, or are there alternatives?
     
     
  #1994  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:11 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,566
There is only 1 owner. There are alternatives. I don't think there has been any decision made, just Gene trying to get support for his proposal in the media.

If there was something official, there would be a lot more news about it on every station.
     
     
  #1995  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:13 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0773|=\ View Post
<Drools>

I love the vintage look that the sign adds to the whole thing. Neat open concept. (Looks like Solar Panels too!)

Now let's see how Edmontonians are going to complain about it...

"Where's the parking?"

"What about wheel-chair accessibility?"

"That building looks weirder than the pyramid proposals at the city entrance!"

...Oh well. I think the powers that be have some brains.

I hope Edmonton gets something like this. Creative. Simple. Gorgeous.
My new favourite is "but teh recesions!!! onoez!"
     
     
  #1996  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:14 PM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
Thanks. Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to get as good a handle on what is going on in downtown Edmonton as I can. Jasper Ave Revitalization project is kicking off this week (I'll be there from Tues-Fri - beers anyone?).
     
     
  #1997  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:20 PM
0773|=\ 0773|=\ is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
My new favourite is "but teh recesions!!! onoez!"
Yes, the internet provides a "unique" venue for critics...

Another thing I love about this proposal: that skeletal glass concourse wrapping around the bowl above everything! So cool!
     
     
  #1998  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:36 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
^ I didn't even see that until you pointed it out. Very awesome.

Also like the Red Strap building refit featured in that video.
     
     
  #1999  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:44 PM
Wooster's Avatar
Wooster Wooster is offline
Round Head
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 12,689
San Diego provides a perfect example of how you can urbanize around a major sports venue in a downtown. Ideally, the Quarters or North edge could look like this, with the arena seamlessly integrated.











     
     
  #2000  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2008, 8:50 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
San Diego is a good example. Of a master-planned area, I light the Power & Light district in Kansas City and their arena there.

Like I said on the other thread though, I'm not pumped about Dub's design. I'd wait for actual and honest submissions from the likes of HOK and others.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.