Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva
ugly, suburban, dense, lowrise, dysfunctional, sprawling, diverse, uneducated, contextually challenged, philistine, auto-oriented. .
|
I agree, but you also have to throw in the other side of the coin:
L.A. hands down is one of the most interesting places on earth, not dominated by one era or one building type, but a total mish-mash of architecture, diversity, immigrants, entrepreneurs; a place to experiment, a place to succeed, a place to fail. A first world city with third world characteristics. Mind blowing huge in its expanse.
Despite being born and raised here, I am not an L.A. defender by any means. But boring it is not. I wish we could have gotten more out of this boom cycle and stepped more into urbanism. But perhaps that is not the nature of L.A. To me Beck (interestingly) somehow captures the city, with diverse samples of music from all over time and space and mashing it together to somehow make great music.