HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4561  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 2:36 AM
Ruckus's Avatar
Ruckus Ruckus is offline
working stiff
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Woodlawn Cemetery
Posts: 2,583
I captured a few images last week while touring Riversdale for a geography group project. The focus of the set is the changing industrial landscape over the past 100-110 years.










































Last edited by Ruckus; Oct 6, 2008 at 5:03 AM.
     
     
  #4562  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 4:23 AM
socialisthorde socialisthorde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Sorry for bitching, it's just the same old over and over. Yes everyone can have an opinion and no two are the same, so be it.

I would rather have something actually built, even if it isn't world class design, but then what is in Saskatoon? In the end the developer and owner will decide on what if anything will go up.

Willing to bet that 3-5 years from now people would wish for something, anything on that site. Wheels turn very slowly in Saskatoon.
Yes, I agree you have every right to express dissent. It would be pretty scary (and boring) if everyone agreed on everything.

I would agree with your appraisal in many cases, but this is really a pretty special site, given the fact that it is on one of the hallmark streets, it will partially block a beauticul existing buidling and the property is on the riverbank and therefore highly desireable. I don't think there is any risk that it will not be developed at some point if not now. I would be grateful to have that building (any building) on some of the gravel parking lots downtown.

I agree with Newflyer that the Riverfront is not hideous and in comparison to the building the Parktown built behind their hotel, it is downright attractive. However, I think the church lot proposal is actually much worse, particularly given the site and the issues I noted above.
     
     
  #4563  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 4:32 AM
socialisthorde socialisthorde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 590
Nice photos SaskFTW. Thanks. Whatever the problems with Riversdale, at least it is one area of the city where you see people walking on the street at most times of day and night.
     
     
  #4564  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 1:56 PM
jaysfan99 jaysfan99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by socialisthorde View Post
Nice photos SaskFTW. Thanks. Whatever the problems with Riversdale, at least it is one area of the city where you see people walking on the street at most times of day and night.
They need to be walking in order to buy and sell drugs, mug you, beg for money, or sel you 🞵🞵🞵. OK Ok OK,...........I'm just kidding. No need to get mad, just making a joke here.
     
     
  #4565  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 5:19 PM
swilley's Avatar
swilley swilley is offline
Saskatchewan's Largest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,007
Another quick photoshop job, Something modern looking does not take away from the church at all.... Condo used is Centuria

     
     
  #4566  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 6:19 PM
socialisthorde socialisthorde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 590


I like that. Of course it looks like it is going to attack the van the way it is rendered (Centuriazilla?), but that might not be a bad thing

I think that the tapering toward the top (I have no idea what the architectural term is - help me out?) in the building you show really helps it fit better with the church. I think that tapering is the defining feature of the spire, not the triangles. Maybe the Remai architect is a little too literal in interpreting the church? I am admittedly out of my league when discussing architecture, but obviously that lack of knowldege does not stop me from having strong opinions
     
     
  #4567  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 8:01 PM
Ruckus's Avatar
Ruckus Ruckus is offline
working stiff
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Woodlawn Cemetery
Posts: 2,583
That looks good swilley, thanks for the photoshop

Total design divergence from Remai's original is a good thing.

Swap the stucco/stone work color pattern on Centuria for the color palette on the church. I'm not sure how, but if the glass balconies could be glazed in such a way as to project a stained glass appearance (each segment of glass on the exterior is part of an overall image...or idea, somehow related to the church...the condo building becomes an extension of the church's design and presence drawing one's eye towards the spire???).

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialisthorde View Post


I like that. Of course it looks like it is going to attack the van the way it is rendered (Centuriazilla?), but that might not be a bad thing

I think that the tapering toward the top (I have no idea what the architectural term is - help me out?) in the building you show really helps it fit better with the church. I think that tapering is the defining feature of the spire, not the triangles. Maybe the Remai architect is a little too literal in interpreting the church? I am admittedly out of my league when discussing architecture, but obviously that lack of knowldege does not stop me from having strong opinions
I'm with you on that
     
     
  #4568  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 9:06 PM
CtrlAltDel CtrlAltDel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 741
Centuria would look great in Saskatoon!


     
     
  #4569  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 3:34 AM
Ruckus's Avatar
Ruckus Ruckus is offline
working stiff
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Woodlawn Cemetery
Posts: 2,583
^ Indeed it would, a very refreshing departure.

Maybe, just maybe Lake Placid and Remai can work out another property deal. According to public statements, Remai doesn't intend to move forward with this development until 2012, sounds like they're fishing for buyers, or something.

Pass it on
     
     
  #4570  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 6:21 AM
kgc087's Avatar
kgc087 kgc087 is offline
Urban Dreamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,128
Hey everyone, so I haven't had a chance to write that letter yet, I'm slightly swamped with school, but by the end of the week it shall be complete, I will include that alteration of lake placid's centuria as what should be there. It looks phenominal.
__________________
Just be.
     
     
  #4571  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 9:07 AM
Dalreg's Avatar
Dalreg Dalreg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
Centuria would look great in Saskatoon!


In my view I wouldn't want this in that location, eye of the beholder, but not impressed at all. Thats the thing, NO two people ever agree 100% what looks good for on doesn't necessarily for the other.
     
     
  #4572  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 2:34 PM
kgc087's Avatar
kgc087 kgc087 is offline
Urban Dreamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
In my view I wouldn't want this in that location, eye of the beholder, but not impressed at all. Thats the thing, NO two people ever agree 100% what looks good for on doesn't necessarily for the other.
Can you find an example of what you would like to see go in that space?
__________________
Just be.
     
     
  #4573  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 4:34 PM
jaysfan99 jaysfan99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc087 View Post
Can you find an example of what you would like to see go in that space?
Probably the great design that Remai has come up with, or an Impark.
     
     
  #4574  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 4:37 PM
drm310's Avatar
drm310 drm310 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 650
Wind turbine

Just a reminder for anyone who's interested, there are two public open houses about the proposed wind turbine in Diefenbaker Park. One is tonight (Oct. 7) and the other is Thursday (Oct. 9).

Source

     
     
  #4575  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 6:23 PM
Rob D's Avatar
Rob D Rob D is offline
Coasting
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,582
There was a report on CTV news the other day with regard to wind turbines and health issues. Here is the link:

Source
__________________

     
     
  #4576  
Old Posted Oct 7, 2008, 10:22 PM
Dalreg's Avatar
Dalreg Dalreg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysfan99 View Post
Probably the great design that Remai has come up with, or an Impark.

Nah rather be a nimby and have nothing. The way somepeople are whinging you would think you are all nimbies.

I will hold judgement on the original propasal until such time that it is actually submitted as the FINAL proposal until then I have my opinion so be it. Don't like tought 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. I won't lose any sleep.
     
     
  #4577  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 4:31 PM
jaysfan99 jaysfan99 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Nah rather be a nimby and have nothing. The way somepeople are whinging you would think you are all nimbies.

I will hold judgement on the original propasal until such time that it is actually submitted as the FINAL proposal until then I have my opinion so be it. Don't like tought 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. I won't lose any sleep.
What ever dude!! What ever!!
     
     
  #4578  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 8:22 PM
kgc087's Avatar
kgc087 kgc087 is offline
Urban Dreamer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
There was a report on CTV news the other day with regard to wind turbines and health issues. Here is the link:

Source
Very interesting article, but I can't help but wonder if you already live say in a d/t setting wouldn't there be all sorts of irregular beats and frequencies being emitted, surely living in a rural area and moving into a high density urban area would have similar effects. It may be factual or it may be a ploy to continue with dirty energy. What does everyone else think?
__________________
Just be.
     
     
  #4579  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 9:19 PM
socialisthorde socialisthorde is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc087 View Post
Very interesting article, but I can't help but wonder if you already live say in a d/t setting wouldn't there be all sorts of irregular beats and frequencies being emitted, surely living in a rural area and moving into a high density urban area would have similar effects. It may be factual or it may be a ploy to continue with dirty energy. What does everyone else think?
A third option is that it is psychosomatic. When people fear something is bad for their health they tend to become very vigilent for signs of ill health (e.g. "vibrations", changes in heart rate or rythym), sometimes leading to misinterpretation of normal physiological processes, and their anxiety increases, sometimes causing physical symptoms which are initially harmless (i.e. arousal), but with time can actually lead to stress related illness.

Another option is that people are confusing correlation with causation (i.e. we both became ill around the same time the windmill was built). Two events being proximal in time does not necessarily demonstrate that one caused the other (a third factor besides the windmill may have caused the illness).

You see all sorts of health problems reported with the introduction of most new technology, such as the current debate around cell phones. Usually over time, the reports fade. Sometimes they don't and very real physiological causes are found.

Now that this information is available, no matter the actual physiological effect, you can bet that some people in proximity to the new windmill will experience symptoms. Whether that is reason for concern is a bigger question and I guess only research can answer it.
     
     
  #4580  
Old Posted Oct 8, 2008, 9:57 PM
midnightrambler's Avatar
midnightrambler midnightrambler is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 264
I don't seem to understand the coorelation between living near a wind turbine and becoming sick.

Tell Ernie to take the hearing aid out
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.