I just really noticed something.
In the fall, Saskatoon has CIS Football (Huskies) for a sport. In the winter, Saskatoon has the WHL (Blades), to entertain us. In the summer? Well, I suppose we have the Roughriders, but only if we want to travel to Regina. Saskatoon needs a summer sport they can call their own, professional or semi-professional, it doesn't matter. I've talked about this on the boards before, (and I still think this), but wouldn't Saskatoon benefit from a modern baseball field built downtown?
I'm sure it would draw a team almost instantly. Restaurants, shops and other amenities can develop around the stadium. Right now, other than a few festivals, what does Saskatoon have that could keep an individual downtown for an evening?
J.F. Cairns field is nice, but I'm sorry, no respecting professional organization would put a team in that field. I remember playing baseball there a few years back, and the dugouts would be filled with water so we would actually have to sit ON the dugout. If Saskatoon wants to think of themselves as "big league" I think a first class outdoor sporting facility would be a big step towards that.
But I suppose if it doesn't work, we can just stick to building that 30,000 seat football stadium and steal the Roughriders from Regina