HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5381  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 4:09 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post


ugh, thats so stupid. I can see a reason for a parking garage (kinda) but really why tear down the building. They used half of it for the Hub, why not use the other half for that Bike Garage or retail, something. Its nice to see the Mayor Becker cares about the history of Salt Lake.
Here are a few shots of the building in question: (with the Intermodal hub behind it)




^^^Did the Intermodal hub really look that bad to start with?
The building looks so worn that they'd almost be better off tearing it down and rebuilding it to match the original design.

If the city is interested in preserving something, the Central Warehouse building is just around the corner and it seems that their efforts would be better spent lobbying to save it instead:

     
     
  #5382  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 6:46 PM
WASDEN's Avatar
WASDEN WASDEN is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kailua HI
Posts: 391


Agreed Ark- heres an opinion I found on the Trib's comment board:

"So SLC is hot and bothered to save a derelict warehouse, but did nothing to save Sugarhouse? "

Although I realize different powers are in charge now than when the whole Sugar Hood fiasco went down, I agree with the commentor on how misdirected the city can appear at times. I would much rather see the city negotiating with the owners of the Central Warehouse building over UTA's "derelict" but historic piece. But I really shouldn't complain- at least theay are making attempts at preservation.

I just hate to think of all the historic places we have lost and are loosing within such a short time frame- ie: Sugarhouse, The Inn at Temple Square, soon the Schubrick. All the developments that are replacing these buildings are welcome/needed around town, but I just can't understand why they can't be built on empty parking lots next door. This tendency for makeovers instead of infill will probably be the bane of my existence as long as I'm a Salt Lake resident.
     
     
  #5383  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 7:58 PM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Now I am really confused? Is it the building Ark has a photo of? Is it the building on 5 W and 1 S?

I first thought it was the central warehouse on 5 W and 2 S that Callasphile was referring to because that is what he wrote in his comment, but I didn't look at the map provided. Now I realize it isn't that.

I too wish the city would step in to save the Central Warehouse building. .... I totally agree that the Inn and Shubrick and Sugarhouse were horrible mistakes. Some of our most beloved buildings. What a shame.
     
     
  #5384  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 9:07 PM
NYC Rick NYC Rick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York City
Posts: 387
Does anyone have an image of this warehouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
SLC to UTA: Stop that bulldozer - Council wants to save historic rail warehouse near transit hub

http://origin.sltrib.com/ci_9343003

"This is grand central for a public market or a really great transit-oriented development," Councilman Soren Simonsen fumed after viewing a rendering of UTA's project this week. "There's got to be a better thing we can do here."
So Mayor Ralph Becker and the City Council are hustling behind the scenes to prevent UTA from bulldozing the warehouse in less UTA parking garage than two weeks.


.
It would be great to see it. The best thing that is happening in most of the larger cities in this country is that people are finally realizing the real gems that were destined as pointless and taken advantage of before for a quick fix.

All you have to do is look at some of those old SLC pics posted here to see that cities lost amazing definitions of time and skill before people woke up.

Not just the west but everywhere. I mean where can you find the level of stone, brick and wood that was used... not to mention the flourishes and style that defined an era.

This is good news!
     
     
  #5385  
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 9:13 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraperdude801 View Post
Now I am really confused? Is it the building Ark has a photo of? Is it the building on 5 W and 1 S?

I first thought it was the central warehouse on 5 W and 2 S that Callasphile was referring to because that is what he wrote in his comment, but I didn't look at the map provided. Now I realize it isn't that.

I too wish the city would step in to save the Central Warehouse building. .... I totally agree that the Inn and Shubrick and Sugarhouse were horrible mistakes. Some of our most beloved buildings. What a shame.


(1) is the 'John Deere' Warehouse that is being renovated into lofts or something. (Not being demolished)

(2) is the Central Warehouse and is rumored to be slated for demolition to be replaced with a 'sports complex'

(3) is the UTA owned warehouse referenced in the article from this morning that the city is pushing to save.
     
     
  #5386  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 12:05 AM
Callasphile's Avatar
Callasphile Callasphile is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20
Thanks for the clarification arkhitektor,

Ya I agree that the city should have worked to save sugarhouse but I think that was more a result of the citiy's administration I think Ralph Becker is going to take a much more hands on approach YAY. That is so lame that someone is trying to tear down to central warehouse it seems like they could easily incorporate it into a sports complex. I am writing The mayors office and some city council members, maybe if it is brought to their attenntion and they realize people care they would be more willing to do something.

BTW I am a he although my picture is a girl, she's my idol. lol
     
     
  #5387  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 1:12 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
I question whether the Central Warehouse is going to be demolished, but only because it's on the National Register of Historic Places.

http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/UT/Salt+Lake/state2.html

Won't be easy to get that thing demolished, I think.
     
     
  #5388  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 2:18 AM
RFPCME RFPCME is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 555
Good catch, Comrade

Good catch, Comrade. If the Central Warehouse is on the National Register..., it should be untouchable, which brings up an interesting question: Isn't there a list somewhere, probably at the Utah State Historical Society of buildings on the Register or potentially included on the Register? I'll be there is. I will check when I'm in SLC in a couple of weeks. I have a friend who works there. I would be more than happy to post the list, then all of us can monitor new developments that may threaten something that should be saved, possibly taking action before it's too late, like all of you so successfully did with the building I dislike so much--the Ken Garff Building.
     
     
  #5389  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 3:37 AM
Sight-Seer's Avatar
Sight-Seer Sight-Seer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 478
A question: Did they renovate an existing building for the Central Station, or did they copy the look of the building to the north? The materials look too new to be renovated. Somehow I missed this one when it was built. This may be an unpopular point of view, but I don't think every old building is worth saving just because it's old, especially the one in question. It certainly has a functional look that can only be achieved by accident. It would take a talented architect to create a building so ordinary. The look is great, but it would probably be better to tear it down and rebuild it with modern materials and infrastructure. I do think it's an ideal spot for the farmer's market, but to me the building itself looks too run down to be saved. There are plenty of other spots for a parking garage. This is the typical problem in Salt Lake: They take a spot with enormous potential for pedestrian traffic and build a parking garage. Does anybody ever think? Sometimes I want to scream.
     
     
  #5390  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 6:13 AM
ski_steve ski_steve is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
A question: Did they renovate an existing building for the Central Station, or did they copy the look of the building to the north? The materials look too new to be renovated. Somehow I missed this one when it was built. This may be an unpopular point of view, but I don't think every old building is worth saving just because it's old, especially the one in question. It certainly has a functional look that can only be achieved by accident. It would take a talented architect to create a building so ordinary. The look is great, but it would probably be better to tear it down and rebuild it with modern materials and infrastructure. I do think it's an ideal spot for the farmer's market, but to me the building itself looks too run down to be saved. There are plenty of other spots for a parking garage. This is the typical problem in Salt Lake: They take a spot with enormous potential for pedestrian traffic and build a parking garage. Does anybody ever think? Sometimes I want to scream.
Im pretty sure they renovated it. They took the existing building and chopped it in half and renovated the one half. Thats what I have heard about it. As to how much is new and old materials I dont know.

I think they should just stick with the original plans and create some retail and a bike garage.
     
     
  #5391  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 6:14 AM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
The Hub now was once a part of that old warehouse. UTA renovate part of the old warehouse to makeway for the new hub and I thought they did a great job with it. It was my understanding that UTA were planning on doing the same thing to the 2nd haft of the warehouse to the North.
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #5392  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 7:43 AM
Scraperdude801's Avatar
Scraperdude801 Scraperdude801 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post

I think they should just stick with the original plans and create some retail and a bike garage.
I totally agree. Personally I wish the market would be established in a more attractive setting.

....In keeping with the rules of threads I will let you know that a project outside of DT broke ground. Check the MSA thread or the news. !!!
     
     
  #5393  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:27 PM
Callasphile's Avatar
Callasphile Callasphile is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
I question whether the Central Warehouse is going to be demolished, but only because it's on the National Register of Historic Places.

http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/UT/Salt+Lake/state2.html

Won't be easy to get that thing demolished, I think.
Unfortunatly being on the National Register of Historic Places does not protect a building from being demolished. It provides incentives to save the building but no disincentives to tear one down. At least that is what our Proffessor told us and he specializes in historic preservation.
     
     
  #5394  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 5:35 PM
arkhitektor arkhitektor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Clearfield, UT
Posts: 1,784
Has anything actually been proposed for the Central Warehouse? Or is this all just speculation at this time?
     
     
  #5395  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 5:42 PM
Callasphile's Avatar
Callasphile Callasphile is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sight-Seer View Post
A question: Did they renovate an existing building for the Central Station, or did they copy the look of the building to the north? The materials look too new to be renovated. Somehow I missed this one when it was built. This may be an unpopular point of view, but I don't think every old building is worth saving just because it's old, especially the one in question. It certainly has a functional look that can only be achieved by accident. It would take a talented architect to create a building so ordinary. The look is great, but it would probably be better to tear it down and rebuild it with modern materials and infrastructure. I do think it's an ideal spot for the farmer's market, but to me the building itself looks too run down to be saved. There are plenty of other spots for a parking garage. This is the typical problem in Salt Lake: They take a spot with enormous potential for pedestrian traffic and build a parking garage. Does anybody ever think? Sometimes I want to scream.
I think you are refering to the Hub and that is a renovation of the existing building, my office worked on that building and it was in really bad shape alot of the steel was rusted to a point where it had to be replaced. I agree that not all buildings are worth being preserved or restored to their original character but its surprising what can be done with some pretty bad looking buildings.
     
     
  #5396  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 6:00 PM
SLC Projects's Avatar
SLC Projects SLC Projects is offline
Bring out the cranes...
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 6,108
Here's is the rendering I pulled from the news paper of the Hub expansion.

Hub parking garage rendering
__________________
1. "Wells Fargo Building" 24-stories 422 FT 1998
2. "LDS Church Office Building" 28-stories 420 FT 1973
3. "111 South Main" 24-stories 387 FT 2016
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976
     
     
  #5397  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 6:52 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasphile View Post
Unfortunatly being on the National Register of Historic Places does not protect a building from being demolished. It provides incentives to save the building but no disincentives to tear one down. At least that is what our Proffessor told us and he specializes in historic preservation.
No, but it makes it more difficult to do so and I think that's a reason why I question whether this will happen or not.
     
     
  #5398  
Old Posted May 23, 2008, 11:24 PM
RFPCME RFPCME is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Reynolds View Post
No, but it makes it more difficult to do so and I think that's a reason why I question whether this will happen or not.
Thank God!
     
     
  #5399  
Old Posted May 24, 2008, 11:51 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,761
Sugar house blight gets deadline

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700228733,00.html?linkTrack=rotator-cvr-5308


Construction cleanup on the former Granite block in Sugar House must begin within 10 days and be completed within 30, Salt Lake City has told a developer. (Ravell Call, Deseret News)

City loses patience with big eyesore

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9367672
.

Last edited by delts145; May 24, 2008 at 12:32 PM.
     
     
  #5400  
Old Posted May 24, 2008, 12:55 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,761
Downtown - Salt Lake City's Olympic Record and major redevelopment begins to reap the benefits -
Major conventions begin to line up their future bookings

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9365930

...Between the Salt Palace expansion and downtown redevelopment,... O'Neill said the meeting planner came away with "a better feel for Salt Lake City this time."


Examples of what to expect:

* Who: Girl Scouts of the USA.
* What: 53rd convention and National Council meeting.
* When: October 2014.
* Attendees: 12,000.
* Economic impact:
$10 million, including 11,000 hotel room nights citywide.

Another big meeting set

The American Industrial Hygiene Association also
has agreed to hold its 2015 national convention in
Salt Lake City. The meeting is expected to attract 10,000 attendees, who will fill
19,000 hotel room nights and generate $9 million for
Salt Lake County's economy. The association also met in Salt Lake City in 1991. About 7,800 people attended.


     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:18 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.