HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2481  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 5:56 PM
CanadianCentaur's Avatar
CanadianCentaur CanadianCentaur is offline
Briareos Hecatonchires
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Big E
Posts: 3,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
#2.. It won't be the 'primary' airport hotel, it'll be the only one.
For quite a while, yes, but if YEG continues to keep growing over the years, and the new Courtyard by Marriott experiences high occupancy rates on average, then it's quite possible that another hotel chain or two may want to set up shop near YEG or in Port Alberta (if land use allows for this).

Quote:
#3.. It'll be much nicer than the selection of Super 8's and Best Westerns just down the road in Nisku
I don't doubt it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
A Courtyard Marriot is precisely the sort of hotel I'd expect at an airport like YEG. It's precisely the sort of hotel I'd expect at almost any airport anywhere. Vancouver or Toronto are hardly the norm - they have dozens of airport hotels ranging from Quality Inns to Hiltons or Fairmonts.
I'd agree with you on this one. The Courtyard by Marriott seems certainly geared for business travelers and those who wish/have to stay overnight and don't want to have to go all the way into Leduc/Nisku or Edmonton to get a hotel room.

In fact, for an airport like YEG and considering its distance from Edmonton, I'd rather have a Courtyard by Marriott than a Hyatt or a Fairmont for a first hotel to go up on airport grounds, partly because business travelers seem to represent a lower percentage of people flying into YEG compared to, say, Calgary or Vancouver.
     
     
  #2482  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 6:50 PM
etown etown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 257
^
" . . . business travelers seem to represent a lower percentage of people flying into YEG compared to, say, Calgary or Vancouver."

CanadianCentaur is that a fact? I'm curious.
     
     
  #2483  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 6:50 PM
dansk's Avatar
dansk dansk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
#1.. Courtyard Marriots are way nicer than the low end Hiltons

#2.. It won't be the 'primary' airport hotel, it'll be the only one.

#3.. It'll be much nicer than the selection of Super 8's and Best Westerns just down the road in Nisku

#4.. "type" of business traveler ? Who the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 do you think you are ?
#1It will be the Primary as the secondary are in Nisku.

#2It will be nicer than those low end hotels, but then again those are where truckers should be staying not business people.
#3 Courtyards are nicer than Hamptons, but they are the same as Hiltons Garden Inns.
#4 I am a professional that travels alot. I don't understand your verbage towards me as I am trying to question the airport hotels branding not you. An airport hotel should be different than the rest of hotels in the area. Nisku and South Edmonton will have similar options but at a much lower rate than the hotel at the airport with transportation to the airport.

The knowledge of some the forumers on here regarding travel is lacking. When I start getting insulted I realise how childish some are as well. One thing that I think some of you are admitting to here by stating a Courtyard is okay, is that primary travel that will be staying at your meduim size CDN airport is Engineers and the occational research and political figure. Unlike other airports that position them selves and their cities as world class(even though they rarely are). Should Edmonton position its self with better hotels and services than the norm? Aren't you the gateway to Northern investment? That is what you forumers state. If you state that shouldn't you mean that?

When I do business in Edmonton I hate having stay over night because of your lack of hotels in the core. The Courtyard is nice, and arguable the one of the nicest...which again is sad.
     
     
  #2484  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 6:56 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ The Nisku motels are supported more by the massive amount of industry in the immediate vicinity than by the airport. They're not "secondary" hotels for the airport.

They're not the same as Hilton Garden Inns, at least not the ones I've stayed in. CM's are nicer and have better ammenties.

As for the rest, I grow weary of your slighted attacks on Edmonton. If you don't like being called out for that, go away.
     
     
  #2485  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 7:09 PM
CanadianCentaur's Avatar
CanadianCentaur CanadianCentaur is offline
Briareos Hecatonchires
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: The Big E
Posts: 3,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by etown View Post
^
" . . . business travelers seem to represent a lower percentage of people flying into YEG compared to, say, Calgary or Vancouver."

CanadianCentaur is that a fact? I'm curious.
I wish I had some hard facts to back this up (shoulda, woulda, yada yada, but...), but that is the impression I get from having flown into YYC and YVR (I go to YVR a few times a year). Not to mention that both cities have more corporate headquarters than Edmonton, of course.
     
     
  #2486  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 7:14 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
I'd say there are fewer "business" travellers @ YEG, They're no different than the business travellers to Vancouver or Cowtown, there's just fewer.

I know we have more engineers, specialized technicians, project managers and the like flying in & out of YEG, but they typically will stay close to wherever they're working, not at the airport.

I fly to Seattle, Minneapolis, Milwaukee & Seattle fairly frequently & never stay at airport hotels.... I stay mostly at hotels where the seminar I'm attending is being held, or close to the jobsite that I am assisiting with.
     
     
  #2487  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 7:29 PM
ExcaliburKid's Avatar
ExcaliburKid ExcaliburKid is offline
Derp
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk View Post
#1It will be the Primary as the secondary are in Nisku.

#2It will be nicer than those low end hotels, but then again those are where truckers should be staying not business people.
#3 Courtyards are nicer than Hamptons, but they are the same as Hiltons Garden Inns.
#4 I am a professional that travels alot. I don't understand your verbage towards me as I am trying to question the airport hotels branding not you. An airport hotel should be different than the rest of hotels in the area. Nisku and South Edmonton will have similar options but at a much lower rate than the hotel at the airport with transportation to the airport.

The knowledge of some the forumers on here regarding travel is lacking. When I start getting insulted I realise how childish some are as well. One thing that I think some of you are admitting to here by stating a Courtyard is okay, is that primary travel that will be staying at your meduim size CDN airport is Engineers and the occational research and political figure. Unlike other airports that position them selves and their cities as world class(even though they rarely are). Should Edmonton position its self with better hotels and services than the norm? Aren't you the gateway to Northern investment? That is what you forumers state. If you state that shouldn't you mean that?

When I do business in Edmonton I hate having stay over night because of your lack of hotels in the core. The Courtyard is nice, and arguable the one of the nicest...which again is sad.
I agree with most of your statements here, especially #2. I travel frequently for work, and even though I'm far from white collar, I prefer higher end accomodations. As it stands right now, if I were coming to Edmonton as a business traveller, there is no way in hell that I would stay near YEG. I would much rather be downtown. And as you mentioned, herein lies the problem. Downtown Edmonton is badly underserved as far as the hotel market goes. I am not exactly shocked, but am definitely perplexed, as to why no new high end hotels have been proposed. Ive heard rumors, but nothing ever materializes. Its a joke that no one has jumped on that, the market is absolutely there for it. Anyways, thats O.T.. If the Marriot does well with high occupancy, I would expect another YEG hotel sooner than later, and possibly phased in with the new terminal expansion. Just my own speculation.
     
     
  #2488  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 8:19 PM
dansk's Avatar
dansk dansk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post

As for the rest, I grow weary of your slighted attacks on Edmonton. If you don't like being called out for that, go away.

You're reading into things, first I was not attacking Edmonton, but merely the decision to place a courtyard at YEG. An airport usually only has one hotel attached to the airport, and I think it is a poor brand to do so.

So unless you are the one that made that decision there was not reason to call me out like you did.

The primary purpose of the post was to say that the Courtyard is not the typical type of hotel I would see at a main airport. Courtyard is what should be on the southside of Edmonton, or (and is) downtown.

A hotel attached to an airport should be a primium brand because you are paying high to stay at the airport in the first place.
     
     
  #2489  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 8:35 PM
big W big W is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: E-Town
Posts: 5,426
dansk you are 100% correct on this one. Airport hotels are targetting those who will pay more and that should be going for a full Mariott rather than the Courtyard Brand.
     
     
  #2490  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 8:43 PM
etown etown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 257
I guess there might be some confusion as to what a 'business' traveler is.

I was under the assumption that it was anyone traveling for a work related purpose. Suit or no suit.
     
     
  #2491  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 8:44 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Quote:
then again maybe for Edmonton's size and type of business traveller it is the right fit.
I take issue with this Dansk. What "type" of business traveller are you refering to ?
     
     
  #2492  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 8:53 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,142
But to the same extend a downtown is for "premium" and "business" hotels where you pay that extra amount to be where "everything is". Yet we see a Courtyard downtown as well.

I think it depends on the city.

A courtyard downtown Van or a Shangri-la.
     
     
  #2493  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 9:22 PM
dansk's Avatar
dansk dansk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I take issue with this Dansk. What "type" of business traveller are you refering to ?
Each city attracts a different type of business traveller, that is all I meant. Why are you so sensitive.
     
     
  #2494  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 9:49 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
I don't think your inference is as innocent as you claim

Your posting history proves my point.
     
     
  #2495  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 10:28 PM
dansk's Avatar
dansk dansk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,290
Give it a break man. You're missing the whole point. If you read the whole POINT...I am stating that EDMONTON should have a HIGH END HOTEL at EDMONTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. YOU are the one saying that the COURTYARD by MARRIOT is GOOD ENOUGH for Edmonton...if anything you are the one people should be calling out.

You are taking this opportunity to get some aggression out. Give it a rest. If you really have an issue get outside and run or something. Don't call out a person online that is actually trying to say the YEG should aim higher.
     
     
  #2496  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 10:47 PM
tuffyy's Avatar
tuffyy tuffyy is offline
Sand kicking airport guy.
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow.
Posts: 1,750
Children that is enough...

Come on now...
     
     
  #2497  
Old Posted Apr 30, 2008, 11:41 PM
Edmonchuck's Avatar
Edmonchuck Edmonchuck is offline
why try anymore
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Posts: 3,314
While I agree that aiming higher is not a bad thing, I am sure that the folks picking up this franchise did their homework. If YEG had more stuff around it, then I could see a higher end hotel. Given that many will go there just so they don't have to get up early in the morning, a Courtyard is fine.
Talk to me when they have the LRT out at the airport, and my idea may differ.
     
     
  #2498  
Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:28 AM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
There's nothing wrong with the Courtyard brand at all...in fact, it will be a large Courtyard to boot.

And the comment about business travellers is BS. All assumptions that there aren't many, etc, etc are wrong. YEG has a high number of business travellers given its PAX figures. No, not as much as YYC, but holds its own.
     
     
  #2499  
Old Posted May 1, 2008, 1:41 AM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Courtyard is not a full service "mainliner" brand at any major airport...end of story. Dansk is dead right that a far better choice for the prominent position (direct connection) would be a Hilton, Fairmont, Sheraton etc. I am however glad that "something" is being built. Lets move on please.
     
     
  #2500  
Old Posted May 1, 2008, 1:47 AM
dansk's Avatar
dansk dansk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,290
Distance should have nothing to do with it, if anything it should help.

If you read my post with out thinking I was bashing Edmonton you would realise that I was stating that Edmonton should go for a high end hotel because of not only having "________" Business travellers.

Seriously, you guys wonder why people don't want to do anything in Edmonton. You jump on any type of critism even constructive. Funny that you guys jumped on me today like you did....proves my newely found feelings. Yes I used to be one of Edmonton's biggest fans, still can't figure out why I was and why I try to be.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.