HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4401  
Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 6:19 PM
Greco Roman Greco Roman is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,448
The only places where trees could have occured naturally in the Regina area would have been along river/creek banks. Otherwise, nada. Precipitation pattervs and soil textures would not allow for it.

I do agree however, about the beauty of a windswept prairie. Absolutely gorgeous.
     
     
  #4402  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 2:10 AM
youngregina's Avatar
youngregina youngregina is offline
Edan
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Victoria Park, Calgary
Posts: 986
But the trees wouldnt have to go to that specific area,, the trees could be used for new parks and to spruce up wascana and some other parks around the city,,and especcially the seemingly treeless streets of suburbia..
     
     
  #4403  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 11:22 AM
HomeInMyShoes's Avatar
HomeInMyShoes HomeInMyShoes is offline
arf
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: File 13
Posts: 14,625
I'm all for more trees in suburbia. St. John's has huge tracts of suburbia that has absolutely no trees and they clear cut the beautiful forest to build them. At least in Regina there weren't any to start with. Here it's just extra sad.

I really liked all the trees Regina had planted along the Ring Road in the last few years. It's going to look really fabulous in about fifteen to twenty years.

What Wascana needs for a sprucing up is a mass-elimination of the geese. I know they try, but who wants to sit on the grass covered in slimey goose excrement that it is in most places.
     
     
  #4404  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 5:17 PM
youngregina's Avatar
youngregina youngregina is offline
Edan
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Victoria Park, Calgary
Posts: 986
im all for not having "excrement" in the grass in wascana park,, but im not all for trying to get the geese out of the park. i love the geese . And i think the geese are somewhat a symbol of the park.
     
     
  #4405  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 6:40 PM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
In addition to the Chili's currently being built on Vic East, sounds like 2 more are being planned for Harbour Landing and Northwest Regina.

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/n...86eb-1397-4789-9877-8f7f31067b05&k=49742
     
     
  #4406  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 7:25 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Oh joy.

I'd love to support a place like Rock Creek...but I can't give my money to a business that promotes sprawl.
     
     
  #4407  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 9:17 PM
someguy someguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 185
Isnt rock creek a fiorante venture?
     
     
  #4408  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 10:15 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
These restaurants are opening up in these locations most likely because they will be the most profitable there. It seems that businesses follow this rule of thumb, epecially franchises, for some reason. If we want these types of places to go downtown, for instance, there obviously has to be incentives for them to do so. So, when you're not supporting places that "promote urban sprawl", you really are just blaming them for the city's reluctance to attract these places elsewhere. Or am I wrong?
There are plenty successful eateries downtown. I choose to spend my money on places that are adding to the betterment of the city.
     
     
  #4409  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 10:26 PM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
There are plenty successful eateries downtown. I choose to spend my money on places that are adding to the betterment of the city.
I guess that's a matter of personal opinion. I would much rather sit down in a restaurant in the "sprawl" than go downtown. I have a busy family and wasting time trying to find parking downtown or taking the bus doesn't fit our lifestyle.
     
     
  #4410  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 10:51 PM
Ruckus's Avatar
Ruckus Ruckus is offline
working stiff
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Woodlawn Cemetery
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
I guess that's a matter of personal opinion. I would much rather sit down in a restaurant in the "sprawl" than go downtown. I have a busy family and wasting time trying to find parking downtown or taking the bus doesn't fit our lifestyle.
What's the drive time from your White City residence to the sprawl and what is your drive time to Downtown Regina?
     
     
  #4411  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 10:51 PM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Then why are you on a site that is largely against sprawl?

The parking argument doesn't work. I am downtown on a regular basis and I never have trouble finding parking.
     
     
  #4412  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 11:51 PM
babo's Avatar
babo babo is offline
Regina rhymes with fun!
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I don't like elevators.
Posts: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
Then why are you on a site that is largely against sprawl?

The parking argument doesn't work. I am downtown on a regular basis and I never have trouble finding parking.
JHC, you're awfully uptight for someone that lives in a "city" that takes 10 minutes to travel end to end.

It says "SkyscraperPage Forum" at the top of my web browser, not "Granolas Against Urbanism Forum". While urban sprawl is unsustainable, if I have to be associated with people like you, I'm going to go out of my way and support sprawl because your elitist views trouble me more.

Let's say you like Burger Baron. Are you all of a sudden against them because they opened a restaurant in the hell hole that is Quance Street? Refuse to support a local business (correct me if I am wrong) because they want to make more money?

The China Pastry Shop that was located on 11th Avenue moved out east and from talking with the owners one day, their business has never been better. Sure, it was all nice and trendy to venture into a seedy part of downtown for sweet buns, but I their new sprawl location is far better for their business.

I'd certainly go downtown more if there was an actual reason to do so. Right now, there isn't. Plus, there's never any parking.
     
     
  #4413  
Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 11:56 PM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Then why are you on a site that is largely against sprawl?

The parking argument doesn't work. I am downtown on a regular basis and I never have trouble finding parking.
So, because I have a different opinion than you, I am not allowed on here? I thought it was called "Regina Construction"... Not the "Communist Republic of those against Urban Sprawl."

The parking argument most definitely does work, and that's a major reason I stay away from downtown. Why would I want to drive around for a half an hour burning fuel (hurting the environment and my pocket book) looking for a spot only to have to pay to park and risk getting a ticket. I would much rather go to the big box stores.

That again, is my personal opinion. Sorry if it doesn't conform to your beliefs.
     
     
  #4414  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 12:57 AM
mick mick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 607
Urbanism is generally associated with urban densification and better transit and pedestrian options. Hence, it is the opposite of sprawl and most urbanists would prefer less of it. This is why you will most often find 'granolas', though the position is certainly not limited to those on the left, for Urbanism, not against it.
     
     
  #4415  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 1:27 AM
Ruckus's Avatar
Ruckus Ruckus is offline
working stiff
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Woodlawn Cemetery
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post
What's the drive time from your White City residence to the sprawl and what is your drive time to Downtown Regina?
ceedub1170, is this an accurate portrayal of your decision making process? (I apologize for the poor quality images...MS Paint sux).

19 minutes for a trip to Downtown Regina...or


10 minutes to big box-o-rama...


I guess if you factor in the parking, then yeah it makes sense (on a time factor valuation).

But for quality of experience, is Regina's big box as enchanting and personal as visiting Downtown Regina?

Is White City as enchanting as Regina, perhaps its more enchanting?

CCF's values are obviously in conflict with your own simply as that.
     
     
  #4416  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 1:37 AM
youngregina's Avatar
youngregina youngregina is offline
Edan
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Victoria Park, Calgary
Posts: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
So, because I have a different opinion than you, I am not allowed on here? I thought it was called "Regina Construction"... Not the "Communist Republic of those against Urban Sprawl."

The parking argument most definitely does work, and that's a major reason I stay away from downtown. Why would I want to drive around for a half an hour burning fuel (hurting the environment and my pocket book) looking for a spot only to have to pay to park and risk getting a ticket. I would much rather go to the big box stores.

That again, is my personal opinion. Sorry if it doesn't conform to your beliefs.
uhmm.. first off i would like to say that if you were to go out for dinner,, you probably wouldnt have to drive around downtown for half an hour,, let alone pay for a parking space. FYI parking is free anywhere, that means parkades and streetside parking after 6. And please dont tell me that you cant spend the extra loonie or toonie if you were to park there before 6.. you spend thousands more on your car anyways... this is just my opinion,, but park your car in suburbia. GO FOR IT
     
     
  #4417  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 2:00 AM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post
ceedub1170, is this an accurate portrayal of your decision making process? (I apologize for the poor quality images...MS Paint sux).

19 minutes for a trip to Downtown Regina...or
I guess if you factor in the parking, then yeah it makes sense (on a time factor valuation).

But for quality of experience, is Regina's big box as enchanting and personal as visiting Downtown Regina?

Is White City as enchanting as Regina, perhaps its more enchanting?

CCF's values are obviously in conflict with your own simply as that.
Apparently you didn't read what I wrote. I didn't say it was too far away. I simply don't like going downtown for the parking and the inconvenience that I feel it causes to me. I have to drive through downtown all the time, as my daughter plays soccer at the exhibition grounds and I don't mind the drive.

Is the downtown important? Absolutely, but it's not for everyone. And it's certainly not for me. That's why I moved to White City (quiet, pieceful, very large lots, slower pace....). Some people don't like it out here...lots of yard work and shovelling, no shopping, a little longer commute, and so on.

I don't bash you for your personal preference of residence. I am merely stating that there are people who like the suburbs and feel that they are very valuable. I lived in Regina basically my whole life and only moved out here a year ago. I want the big back yard for the kids, the quiet street and the cheap property taxes. Why should I be chastised for taking advantage of ALL that Regina (and surrounding area) offers

Is Downtown enchanting? For some, I'm sure it is. Just not for me. Is White City enchanting? For me, it sure is. Maybe not for other.
     
     
  #4418  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 2:32 AM
CCF's Avatar
CCF CCF is offline
Canadian Urbanite
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Across Canada
Posts: 3,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
So, because I have a different opinion than you, I am not allowed on here? I thought it was called "Regina Construction"... Not the "Communist Republic of those against Urban Sprawl."

The parking argument most definitely does work, and that's a major reason I stay away from downtown. Why would I want to drive around for a half an hour burning fuel (hurting the environment and my pocket book) looking for a spot only to have to pay to park and risk getting a ticket. I would much rather go to the big box stores.

That again, is my personal opinion. Sorry if it doesn't conform to your beliefs.
You are allowed on here. I was simply asking a question. I certainly don't come on here to discuss the latest Walmart being built and I'd assume most of the users don't. "Skyscraperpage" Skyscrapers tend to happen in the core not White City.

Finding parking when going out for dinner is rather simple considering that it's free of charge.

I didn't say you had to conform to my views. Please show me where I said that. I was merely discussing my opinion as you were sharing yours.

Quote:

It says "SkyscraperPage Forum" at the top of my web browser, not "Granolas Against Urbanism Forum". While urban sprawl is unsustainable, if I have to be associated with people like you, I'm going to go out of my way and support sprawl because your elitist views trouble me more.

Let's say you like Burger Baron. Are you all of a sudden against them because they opened a restaurant in the hell hole that is Quance Street? Refuse to support a local business (correct me if I am wrong) because they want to make more money?

The China Pastry Shop that was located on 11th Avenue moved out east and from talking with the owners one day, their business has never been better. Sure, it was all nice and trendy to venture into a seedy part of downtown for sweet buns, but I their new sprawl location is far better for their business.

I'd certainly go downtown more if there was an actual reason to do so. Right now, there isn't. Plus, there's never any parking.
Elitest views? Give me a break. I didn't realize I said anything that controversial in the last couple of hours.

I'm not one to be a hypocrite. Victoria East is completely unsustainable. The design is poor, it's unappealing to me, and it's something that I am strongly against. If I'm against urban sprawl, I'm certainly not going to spend my hard earned money on businesses which are for something that I am so against.

The reason that the downtown is suffering is because we are directing development to the periphery of the city. If you want the downtown to succeed, like I do, then spend your money downtown. I am putting my money where my mouth is. How can you fault me for that? Everyone here is free to do what they so choose, and I haven't criticized anyone personally for their choices. If you want to spend all your money at Walmart, then that's your choice, I won't criticize. I'd expect the same respect.
     
     
  #4419  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 3:29 AM
J_M_A's Avatar
J_M_A J_M_A is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 32
First off in regards to being downtown or on the outskirts of the city I can tell you as a retail business owner I would prefer to be downtown. Its a totally different atmosphere which I enjoy. But when it comes to dollars and cents, I at this point in time would choose to stay in the east end. Since leaving the downtown my annual sales have nearly doubled and it has continued to climb. So as much as I like the downtown, I couldnt afford to move back there. Thats just my opinion.
     
     
  #4420  
Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 4:24 AM
Ruckus's Avatar
Ruckus Ruckus is offline
working stiff
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Woodlawn Cemetery
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
Apparently you didn't read what I wrote. I didn't say it was too far away. I simply don't like going downtown for the parking and the inconvenience that I feel it causes to me. I have to drive through downtown all the time, as my daughter plays soccer at the exhibition grounds and I don't mind the drive.
I apologize that my post came across as being ignorant of your previous post. However, I did read your post in it's entirety but I usually interpret things beyond what people actually write or say...I made an assumption based on your statement that you have a busy family (time is valuable, no?) and that an extra 9 minutes commuting (one way, round trip makes it 18 minutes) would be a deciding factor (along with parking convenience, less traffic, etc) in whether or not you (or anyone for that matter) would choose to spend dollars and time at a local Downtown establishment or a more accessible standard suburban eatery.

I completely understand your perspective. I was raised and still reside in a suburb. I understand parking issues and the busy family argument (I'm a part-time chauffeur for a few of my family members, regrettably).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
Is the downtown important? Absolutely, but it's not for everyone. And it's certainly not for me. That's why I moved to White City (quiet, pieceful, very large lots, slower pace....). Some people don't like it out here...lots of yard work and shovelling, no shopping, a little longer commute, and so on.
Available lifestyle choices and personal values are what determine one's location of residence.

I won't crucify you for it, but I will and do attempt to convince people and families such as yours to come back to the city, or at the very least provide an alternative perspective so that you can be sure you made the right decision to live in White City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub1170 View Post
I don't bash you for your personal preference of residence. I am merely stating that there are people who like the suburbs and feel that they are very valuable. I lived in Regina basically my whole life and only moved out here a year ago. I want the big back yard for the kids, the quiet street and the cheap property taxes. Why should I be chastised for taking advantage of ALL that Regina (and surrounding area) offers

Is Downtown enchanting? For some, I'm sure it is. Just not for me. Is White City enchanting? For me, it sure is. Maybe not for other.
Fair enough.

Just be mindful that low property taxes won't support much in terms of services, but I suppose your family can make the commute to Regina for those sorts of things.

Don't take the following as an attack on your family values, but have you considered how isolation from the rest of society will affect your children's development, how they might place themselves in the larger society in the future? As someone who grew up in a suburban neighborhood, it is something that has always concerned me.

Growing up, my friends and I were free to explore the city first by foot, then by bicycle, bus, and eventually a car. How do kids growing up in bedroom communities have the opportunity to explore? In my early teens I recall meeting some girls in our suburban park from Langham (30 minutes one way northwest of Downtown Saskatoon), their mom would have to drive in and pick them up (or some other family member). A pain in the — trying to keep in touch with these girls. One particular night we told them we were driving out to Langham (we were 14-15 at the time, no license) in my friends parent's vehicle (they were away at the lake for the weekend)...my friend was not particularly skilled at gentle lane changes/left turns and a police car noticed (it was 1:00 AM on Circle Drive) and decided to pull us over...anyways the point is, those who choose to raise a family in bedroom communities are limiting social interaction, good or bad, kids deserve a full perspective on the real life which is often reflected in city living.

Suburbs very distant from the core is one thing (at least there's public transit), but bedroom communities go one step further by limiting interaction with the larger community by the large geographical distance but also the lack of transit...I guess text messaging, facebook, nexopia, and forums like SSP replace the physical human interaction quite nicely, but does it? It only supplements it, it does not replace it.

Chance encounters, networking are very accessible online, they are also quite accessible in the city, suburbs less so and are almost non-existent in commuter bedroom communities with less than 2000 people, but I suppose this whole issue just comes back to "what do I value? what is best for my family? Do my children have a secure future?" Well, I'm sure you've already asked yourself that seeing as you previously stated "I want the big back yard for the kids, the quiet street and the cheap property taxes.".

I apologize in advance if I have offended you, enjoy life as best you can, in whatever way that might be.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:54 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.