HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2201  
Old Posted May 2, 2007, 8:45 PM
Mayor Quimby Mayor Quimby is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by governorgeneral View Post
Canada's top places to live - Regina's number 39!

MoneySense - Canada's best places to live
Congratulations to Mayor Fiacco and council, you have cracked the top 40.

Maybe someday, our ranking will reach our population ranking. However as long as, 1990s suburb boxland development continues, we won't.

But that could change in October of 2009, say enough is enough of decades old development plans and elect a Mayor that gets it.
     
     
  #2202  
Old Posted May 2, 2007, 9:02 PM
ceedub1170's Avatar
ceedub1170 ceedub1170 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 451
[QUOTE=Mayor Quimby;2810184]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post

The original plans were for Qu'Appelle, the soil is not gumbo out there.
Somehow, this is Fiacco's fault too, I'm sure.

Maybe we should follow the "real" quimby's way and pick up the entire city and move it to Qu'appelle
     
     
  #2203  
Old Posted May 2, 2007, 9:13 PM
Mayor Quimby Mayor Quimby is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 642
[QUOTE=ceedub1170;2810300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post

Somehow, this is Fiacco's fault too, I'm sure.

Maybe we should follow the "real" quimby's way and pick up the entire city and move it to Qu'appelle
Now that would be outrageous. The only connection that Fiacco has to Dewdney, besides his North of Dewdney stache, is land dealings.
     
     
  #2204  
Old Posted May 3, 2007, 6:38 PM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
I saw a plan for the new Lewvan/#1 interchange today. It isn't final, but it's most likely what will be chosen, since it's pretty much the most logical design.

It looked like a modified trumpet design, similar to this one (but rotated 180 degrees):


pretty simple, nothing fancy. not the flyover stack some of you were hoping for

except for some reason, they had an aditional ramp connecting the northbound lane of the Lewvan to the eastbound lane of the #1. I'm guessing that ramp won't be built right away, since there would be no need for it. It must be included in the plans just in case Lewvan stretches further south in the distance future

I'll draw you guy's a sketch of the plan when I'm done work

Last edited by ReginaGuy; May 3, 2007 at 6:46 PM.
     
     
  #2205  
Old Posted May 3, 2007, 6:42 PM
Mayor Quimby Mayor Quimby is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
I saw a plan for the new Lewvan/#1 interchange today. It isn't final, but it's most likely what will be chosen, since it's pretty much what I was expecting it would be

It looked like a modified trumpet design, similar to this one:


except for some reason, they had an aditional ramp connecting the northbound lane of the Lewvan to the eastbound lane of the #1. I'm guessing that ramp won't be built, but is included in the plans in case Lewvan stretches further south in the distance future

I'll draw you guy's a sketch of the plan when I'm done work
This is my least favourite of interchange design types because it involves a set of lights. Unless and over pass or underpass is planned. The #1 is should be limited access, especially around urban areas. Lights should not be on it.

My guess is that this is the least expensive design. However, any changes in the future will cost more.
     
     
  #2206  
Old Posted May 3, 2007, 6:58 PM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
This is my least favourite of interchange design types because it involves a set of lights. Unless and over pass or underpass is planned. The #1 is should be limited access, especially around urban areas. Lights should not be on it.

My guess is that this is the least expensive design. However, any changes in the future will cost more.
A trumpet design (such as the picture I showed) doesn't require any lights. if you look carefully, all 4 ramps are free-flowing. A bridge will be built, and Lewvan will overpass the #1.

The only flaw with this design is that cars would be forced to lower their speeds on the circular ramp, but it is still much safer than a full cloverleaf, since it eliminates the need to yield

The plan I saw was slightly different from the picture I showed, and there might be stop signs at the end of the ramps, turning on to lewvan after leaving the #1. I'm not sure, I'll have to take a closer look.

But I can tell you for sure that there won't be any lights on the #1, as that would be highly dangerous, and the whole point of building this interchange is to extend the limited-access portion of the #1 (since the rest of the city from Lewvan to Vic already is limited access)
     
     
  #2207  
Old Posted May 3, 2007, 8:40 PM
A4Regina's Avatar
A4Regina A4Regina is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 465
Anyone heard anything else on the new tallest??
     
     
  #2208  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 12:26 AM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
A trumpet design (such as the picture I showed) doesn't require any lights. if you look carefully, all 4 ramps are free-flowing. A bridge will be built, and Lewvan will overpass the #1.

The only flaw with this design is that cars would be forced to lower their speeds on the circular ramp, but it is still much safer than a full cloverleaf, since it eliminates the need to yield

The plan I saw was slightly different from the picture I showed, and there might be stop signs at the end of the ramps, turning on to lewvan after leaving the #1. I'm not sure, I'll have to take a closer look.

But I can tell you for sure that there won't be any lights on the #1, as that would be highly dangerous, and the whole point of building this interchange is to extend the limited-access portion of the #1 (since the rest of the city from Lewvan to Vic already is limited access)
Actually from that design, it looks like Lewvan will underpass the #1. Correct me if i am wrong but the East/West redline is a solid line which means that'll be on top and the broken line (Lewvan) will be the underpass. So is it safe to assume that the #1 will be built up and bridged over Lewvan???



*edit* Sorry reginaguy, I didn't know this was just an example....I thought it was the actually plan. Regardless I think this is a good decision.....it should give a nice view of the city interchanging north on Lewvan.
     
     
  #2209  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 12:27 AM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Regina View Post
Anyone heard anything else on the new tallest??
Well I got my poker night again this weekend and hopefully my source will be there again. If he is I will do my best to quiz him without 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 him off.
     
     
  #2210  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 1:24 AM
Mayor Quimby Mayor Quimby is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaGuy View Post
A trumpet design (such as the picture I showed) doesn't require any lights. if you look carefully, all 4 ramps are free-flowing. A bridge will be built, and Lewvan will overpass the #1.

The only flaw with this design is that cars would be forced to lower their speeds on the circular ramp, but it is still much safer than a full cloverleaf, since it eliminates the need to yield

The plan I saw was slightly different from the picture I showed, and there might be stop signs at the end of the ramps, turning on to lewvan after leaving the #1. I'm not sure, I'll have to take a closer look.

But I can tell you for sure that there won't be any lights on the #1, as that would be highly dangerous, and the whole point of building this interchange is to extend the limited-access portion of the #1 (since the rest of the city from Lewvan to Vic already is limited access)
Thanks, every trumpet intersection, I have used tended to have a set of traffic lights and the early discussion was about putting some up. I am glad to see the move to limited access, the whole #1 should be. I have always preferred roundabouts but people here don't get them. Anyways,thanks for the clarification.
     
     
  #2211  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 3:19 AM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
Thanks, every trumpet intersection, I have used tended to have a set of traffic lights and the early discussion was about putting some up. I am glad to see the move to limited access, the whole #1 should be. I have always preferred roundabouts but people here don't get them. Anyways,thanks for the clarification.
no problem, I wouldn't be surprised that some have lights, since there's a million different variations. But luckly, none of the concepts I saw involved signalized lights

And yes, there were early discussions of installing lights on the #1 at Lewvan, but thankfully those plans were trashed, after studies showed that such an intersection would probably cause even more accidents

Last edited by ReginaGuy; May 4, 2007 at 3:26 AM.
     
     
  #2212  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 3:47 PM
swilley's Avatar
swilley swilley is offline
Saskatchewan's Largest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,007
This is not meant to start anything, I just wanted to share what some bonehead wrote in the Star Kleenex today. What does he think downtown Saskatoon is? Hollywood?

Tale of two cities
The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, May 04, 2007

Kudos to those with the foresight to develop the downtown of Saskatoon into a vibrant area that people want to be part of.
Regina, on the other hand, resembles Hiroshima after the bomb.

Harvey Peever

Colonsay

LINK
     
     
  #2213  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:39 PM
Migs Migs is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Regina, Sk, Canada
Posts: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
This is not meant to start anything, I just wanted to share what some bonehead wrote in the Star Kleenex today. What does he think downtown Saskatoon is? Hollywood?

Tale of two cities
The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, May 04, 2007

Kudos to those with the foresight to develop the downtown of Saskatoon into a vibrant area that people want to be part of.
Regina, on the other hand, resembles Hiroshima after the bomb.

Harvey Peever

Colonsay

LINK
If its not meant to start anything, then why post that 🞵🞵🞵🞵???
     
     
  #2214  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:41 PM
Mayor Quimby Mayor Quimby is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
If its not meant to start anything, then why post that 🞵🞵🞵🞵???
Relax Migs, it will ok, it's just a post.

You do need some anger management, don't you ?
     
     
  #2215  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 5:11 PM
swilley's Avatar
swilley swilley is offline
Saskatchewan's Largest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
If its not meant to start anything, then why post that 🞵🞵🞵🞵???

As I stated, "I just wanted to share what some bonehead wrote in the Star Kleenex today. What does he think downtown Saskatoon is? Hollywood?" And just because it is negative towards Regina, does not automatically mean its 🞵🞵🞵🞵. It's someone’s opinion, nothing more.
     
     
  #2216  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 6:27 PM
BrannyMuffin BrannyMuffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
As I stated, "I just wanted to share what some bonehead wrote in the Star Kleenex today. What does he think downtown Saskatoon is? Hollywood?" And just because it is negative towards Regina, does not automatically mean its 🞵🞵🞵🞵. It's someone’s opinion, nothing more.
Interesting how some people can't praise one without shooting down the other. I'm sure downtown Colonsay is a marvel! I honestly wonder what he's refering to, though? Maybe he's mistaken construction for ruins?
     
     
  #2217  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 8:14 PM
Chaps Chaps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
This is not meant to start anything, I just wanted to share what some bonehead wrote in the Star Kleenex today. What does he think downtown Saskatoon is? Hollywood?

Tale of two cities
The StarPhoenix
Published: Friday, May 04, 2007

Kudos to those with the foresight to develop the downtown of Saskatoon into a vibrant area that people want to be part of.
Regina, on the other hand, resembles Hiroshima after the bomb.

Harvey Peever

Colonsay

LINK
Is there more to this story? This clearly spews complex. If anything, it's the opposite. Saskatoon's downtown may have slightly more activity after 7pm (and I say slightly)...but visually...there is simply no comparison. Saskatoon's downtowned appears much more "bombed"...

But I'm used to the Saskatoon complex they have...so I'm not surprised by the article (if I can even call it that? Is there a link I'm not seeing to a full article?).

I clicked on the link, but it didn't say any more than what was quote. Was that seriously the whole thing?
     
     
  #2218  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 8:29 PM
BrannyMuffin BrannyMuffin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Regina
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Is there more to this story? This clearly spews complex. If anything, it's the opposite. Saskatoon's downtown may have slightly more activity after 7pm (and I say slightly)...but visually...there is simply no comparison. Saskatoon's downtowned appears much more "bombed"...

But I'm used to the Saskatoon complex they have...so I'm not surprised by the article (if I can even call it that? Is there a link I'm not seeing to a full article?).

I clicked on the link, but it didn't say any more than what was quote. Was that seriously the whole thing?
I'm assuming it was a letter to the editor...and the guy is from Colonsay, not Saskatoon. As for there being more activity in downtown Saskatoon at night...I've heard it, but have yet to witness it.
     
     
  #2219  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 9:49 PM
swilley's Avatar
swilley swilley is offline
Saskatchewan's Largest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 1,007
^ Yes it was a letter to the editor. I am just suprised they would even print it....
One question: Does Regina's downtown empty at 5? I don't know I have never been there after 5...
     
     
  #2220  
Old Posted May 4, 2007, 10:43 PM
ReginaGuy's Avatar
ReginaGuy ReginaGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
^ Yes it was a letter to the editor. I am just suprised they would even print it....
One question: Does Regina's downtown empty at 5? I don't know I have never been there after 5...
No. obviously its no where near as busy. But it's far from empty, especially since those coffee shops (particularily Atlantis) openned

and yes, obviously Ohanlons, the casino, etc are always busy at night
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:41 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.