Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF
In other news Saskatoon got the Children's hospital. This isn't meant as a gripe towards toon-town, but it would have been a huge boost to get it here. Saskatoon's health care system is already miles ahead of ours, and something like this could have spurred growth and helped us to attract much needed doctors. It could have also perhaps been a starting point to the U of R getting its own Med school.
|
Perhaps it would've been a boost locally, but for the province as a whole, having a critical mass of medical academics in one place is better for everyone I think: stronger research; the "prestige" of a full-complement, proper training centre for med students and residents; integration with existing specialty services in S'toon, etc. The spinoffs would benefit everyone in the province.
I would agree it probably makes a Regina med school less likely for now... but then again, many physicians escaped/skipped S'toon to work in Regina precisely because it's not as much an academic centre, and so they can concentrate on practice and don't have to supervise or teach (as much). Along with Victoria it's the only tertiary care centre in Canada without a med school.
Quote:
|
It's positive news nonetheless, but it's unfortunate that our health care will continue to lag.
|
If you mean Regina vs S'toon, I don't think there's much a lag at all: our
wait time performance isn't all that different from theirs; service-wise, there isn't much more they have that we don't (eg being the academic centre, I think they handle transplants and such). Anecdotally I hear it's easier to get a family doctor there since they have a larger Family Medicine training stream, and many U of S residents stay in S'toon to practice.