HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #661  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 10:14 PM
innov8's Avatar
innov8 innov8 is offline
Kodachrome
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: livinginurbansac.blogspot
Posts: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
Drama continues....

(Redevelopment Agency) Extension of Loan Commitment for the Aura Project (Continued from 3-13-07; 3-20-07, 3-27-07) [To Be Delivered]
Location: 601 Capitol Mall, Central Business District (District 1)
Recommendation: Adopt a Redevelopment Agency Resolution extending the period of negotiations with Aura project for 45 days, expiring on May 24, 2007 to develop the terms of a maximum $10,000,000 market rate loan which may be incorporated into an Owner Participation Agreement for the Aura condominium project. Contact: Leslie Fritzsche, Downtown Development Manager, (916) 808-5450, Economic Development Department.
I wonder how this is going to work... I thought AURA needed to break ground
in April to deliver the tower on time to it's buyers that have deposits down.
I believe they have 22 months to complete the tower starting next month.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #662  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 10:21 PM
SacRising's Avatar
SacRising SacRising is offline
Capricamento
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Inner-Ring 'burb
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmidtown View Post
I'm going to get on a soapbox for a minute.
can we quit with the name-calling of our city? you all need to train your minds to show a little pride, Sac needs it. many people are invested wholeheartedly in making this city a better place to live and the denigrating jokes made by many residents (most of whom have done little to improve this city) are getting obnoxious, not to mention old. it's too easy to sit around and taunt the efforts of the city and developers investing hundreds of millions of dollars to make this city a better place. and if you don't like what they're doing don't run away, get involved or do something creative. Or maybe, just maybe we can all boast about how Sac is improving, it might not be getting everything we all want but at least it's getting better which is something a lot of other cities can't say. the loss of a skyscraper won't take away the hundreds of restaraunts, bars, nightclubs, condo's, lofts, and other high-rises built or being built in this city.

basically we need more love for Sac
I would honestly like to punch someone in the face from the Bay Area who put down my city. But I don't mind the self-degradation from our own residents, it's somewhat theraputic at times. I do completely agree with your call to action, though. Sacramento could use a lot more people who "do something" to better our city.

As much as we like to deride the community activist process in Sac, it is a great way to get your voice heard. LPCA for instance, while I don't agree with anything they do, I have to give them credit for being persistant and heard (mainly b/c they yell louder and longer than anyone else). They might carry the single heaviest stick to shake against anything they don't like. Here's my call to action...do something about it. This is where residents of Land Park can start organizing to oust the LPCA leadership. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait a year to do it. How many Land Park residents read this board, or forumers who know other LP residents who don't agree with the way LPCA "represents" their interests. I've met LP residents who would love to remove the current leadership. OK, I sense the start of a new movement.

I've always thought that K street will be revitalized not by city efforts or development efforts, but by local residents deciding to do something... start a business, open a bar, restaurant, art gallery, coffee shop, late night diner, any of the things that will add that spark of life, draw people and drive out the riff-raff. The bones already exist for great things to happen on K st. Sacramento suffers from Stategovernmentitis, an unfortunate condition whereby residents of a city whose largest employment base is state government. The city then lacks the entrepreneurial spirit, creative class, make-your-own-way mindset that other cities possess. Apolgies to any state workers who read this, but does anyone else feel this way? btw, I'm a former state worker by choice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #663  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 10:37 PM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacRising View Post
Sacramento suffers from Stategovernmentitis, an unfortunate condition whereby residents of a city whose largest employment base is state government. The city then lacks the entrepreneurial spirit, creative class, make-your-own-way mindset that other cities possess. Apolgies to any state workers who read this, but does anyone else feel this way? btw, I'm a former state worker by choice.
I totally agree with you. I heard someone say once that parents in Sacramento had this type of personality to their kids "If you do good in school and get good grades you can go to Sac St and be lucky enough to get a state job"

That mentality has and continues to change...and not soon enough
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #664  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 10:38 PM
Schmoe's Avatar
Schmoe Schmoe is offline
NIMBY Hater
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzi963 View Post
yeah, could someone just give a quick rundown on what will happen on the 31st and the 3rd? will Nassi publicly announce that financing is or isn't in place? and if it isn't, does that mean aura's officially dead?

Just got the following email:

The date for the much anticipated final pre-construction release for Aura Condos will be Friday March 29 starting at 10 am. Please feel free to stop by the model to get a list of the homes that will be available at these pre-construction prices. Once construction begins we will have another price increase of at least 5%.

I would like to offer you an invitation to come back by and see our model located at 601 Capitol Mall. We are open Tuesday - Friday 10-5 Saturdays 10-3 and closed Sundays and Mondays. We have received an overwhelming response to Aura but we still have a variety of wonderful units available for purchase. If you are unable to make it to see our model in person, on our website (www.aura-condos.com) there is a link to a virtual tour along with all of our floor plans.

Sincerely,

Sherryl Fleeman
Condominium Sales Specialist
Aura Condominiums
601 Capitol Mall
Sacramento, CA 95814

916.442.AURA Direct
916.442.2884 Fax

www.Aura-Condos.com

Please visit our other websites:

www.EpicTower.com
www.bcndevelopment.com
www.visitthebeauvallon.com
www.thepalladio.net
www.royaltonhouston.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #665  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 10:46 PM
Grimnebulin's Avatar
Grimnebulin Grimnebulin is offline
Got Good Grub?
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Midtown Sacramento
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post
I totally agree with you. I heard someone say once that parents in Sacramento had this type of personality to their kids "If you do good in school and get good grades you can go to Sac St and be lucky enough to get a state job"

That mentality has and continues to change...and not soon enough
My parents both went to Sac State and they told me that if ended up there they'd beat me! Luckily I avoided any corporal punishment...

I'm in the new place at 1801 L now, but have no furniture yet. I take it a party there would be better with furniture and TV/stereo, no?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #666  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 10:50 PM
Majin's Avatar
Majin Majin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Downtown Sacramento
Posts: 2,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnebulin View Post
My parents both went to Sac State and they told me that if ended up there they'd beat me! Luckily I avoided any corporal punishment...


What exactly is wrong with Sac State? I go there and it's a good school. Nearly everybody I've talked to who has transfered from different schools (including SF State, San Jose State, San Deigo State, etc) has told me it's a great school. We have great professors here thats taught all over the country and have lots of experience.

Don't understand what the hate is with Sac State.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #667  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 10:50 PM
sugit sugit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DT Sacramento
Posts: 3,076
I'm pretty sure my parents said those exact words...I was the black sheep of the family...I traveled to the far lands of UC Davis...lol

Majin - It's not that it isn't a good school. It is in a lot of areas. I think the comments were more along the lines of that was a big prevailing career route parents instilled in kids. I'm sure it wasn't everyone, but I know growing up in the Pocket area, a lot of my friends parents had that mentally
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #668  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:04 PM
Phillip Phillip is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
[B] As far as downtown development, I've always maintained that it doesn't matter whether it's low, mid or high-rise housing, so long as it's high density housing. With so many opportunities for infill, DT and MT, housing will be fine regardless of what happens to the Towers or Aura.
I'm surprised more attention isn't directed towards building high density along 16th Street north of J Street. It's mostly blighted now and seems ripe for redevelopment.

I can picture several blocks of midrise, both sides of the street, replacing the rundown motels and etc, with ground floor restaurants, retail etc; 16th Street as a solid corridor of urban vitality from Broadway to the railroad tracks at C Street.

8 or 10 midrise buildings clustered in close proximity...more bang than the same 8 or 10 scattered throughout Midtown/Downtown. Sacramento's "highrise neighborhood". Trader Joes or Whole Foods in the Salvation Army spot? (Not that I don't like Salvation Army.) A new midrange hotel to replace the sagging Clarion?

16th's direct access to 160/Arden is a plus. The retail action is at Arden now more than Downtown. If/when K Street/Downtown Plaza improves 16th makes a good pivot point for going in either direction.

Anyone have thoughts? Would this/could this become a good neighborhood? What would it take? Any rumors of projects in the works?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #669  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:32 PM
ozone's Avatar
ozone ozone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 2,270
I think it will be built-up as the area closest to the core is filled. We are already seeing this happen with the lofts/condos being built across from the Old Gov. Mansion and I think Cordano is remodeling some an old auto parts store north of this and converting it to retail-restaurant.

North 16th Street belongs to what neighborhood? I've always said that one of the problems with the Central City is that it's neighborhoods are ill defined. Does anyone actually know where Washington Park begins and ends? I think having neighborhoods that are well defined- with signs & on maps would help to create a sense of place. It's very simple and certianly not only thing that needs to be done but would help more than people imagine.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #670  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:35 PM
greenmidtown greenmidtown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
I think it will be built-up as the area closest to the core is filled. We are already seeing this happen with the lofts/condos being built across from the Old Gov. Mansion and I think Cordano is remodeling some an old auto parts store north of this and converting it to retail-restaurant.

North 16th Street belongs to what neighborhood? I've always said that one of the problems with the Central City is that it's neighborhoods are ill defined. Does anyone actually know where Washington Park begins and ends? I think having neighborhoods that are well defined- with signs & on maps would help to create a sense of place. It's very simple and certianly not only thing that needs to be done but would help more than people imagine.
Alkali Flats is the neighborhood for a good part of it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #671  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:36 PM
otnemarcaS's Avatar
otnemarcaS otnemarcaS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post


What exactly is wrong with Sac State? I go there and it's a good school. Nearly everybody I've talked to who has transfered from different schools (including SF State, San Jose State, San Deigo State, etc) has told me it's a great school. We have great professors here thats taught all over the country and have lots of experience.

Don't understand what the hate is with Sac State.
Yeah, I don't understand that there is much wrong with Sac State. I mean almost 30,000 students couldn't be wrong. I graduated from Sac State with a business degree and do still think and know that I got a pretty good education, especially if you are majoring in Business (I believe over 65% are biz majors at Sac State).

Mostly it's a STATE school perception, or state of mind, when it comes to the San Diego States, the Sac States, the San Jose states, the Cal State whatevers. Education is what you get out of it and what you want to make of it, regardless of the school. The only thing my friends across the causeway have over me/us is they keep whooping our butts in football. They did win a basketball, and now wrestling, national championship.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #672  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:38 PM
SacRising's Avatar
SacRising SacRising is offline
Capricamento
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Inner-Ring 'burb
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post


What exactly is wrong with Sac State? I go there and it's a good school. Nearly everybody I've talked to who has transfered from different schools (including SF State, San Jose State, San Deigo State, etc) has told me it's a great school. We have great professors here thats taught all over the country and have lots of experience.

Don't understand what the hate is with Sac State.
I started the 'state workers=lack of innovation' conversation, and it took a turn toward Sac State. I think CSUS is a good school too, and this is where my former 'state worker' career took place. Although, working at a university is very different than the stereotypical state office worker downtown, it can still be mindnumbing in the amount of bureaucratic BS. I worked there in the Don Gerth era, and barely got to work with Gonzales, but it is night and day between the two. Gonzales is making significant strides for CSUS compared to what Gerth did...or didn't do for that matter. BAck in 1984-85 when Greg Lukenbill was bringing the Kings to Sac from KC, he proposed to put an arena at Sac State as a temporary home for the kings while Arco was being built. Gerth said 'no thanks' b/c it would cause too many parking and traffic hassles.

Last edited by SacRising; Mar 29, 2007 at 11:44 PM. Reason: 1894-what was I smoking?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #673  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2007, 11:47 PM
reggiesquared reggiesquared is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 78
sac state.

The quality of your college education and what it ends up being worth is what you chose to put into it and what you major in. If you want to make good money in emerging markets and sectors don't major in communications or liberal studies. Its the same for any school. Sac state actually has many top 30 programs which include but not limited to the technology management program #25 in the nation. One of the first schools in California to offer an EMBA (executive MBA), A stellar Computer Science department which was believe it or not an intricate part of the early stages of the internet facilitating computer communication between Stanford, Berkeley and Carnegie Mellon, home to many nationally recognized research centers and think tanks and at 47% one of the lowest acceptance rates in the State University System. As you can guess I went to Sac State. I work for Calpers now not because I couldn't get hired anywhere else (had multiple offers) but because their pay is highly competitive if not generally higher than Sacramento Tech companies. Many of my classmates ended up at Intel, lawrence livermore lab and various start ups. Anyway thats my Rant and support your only local major university! Maybe if people didn't talk down about Sac State so much there would be a better showing at sporting events!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #674  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 12:48 AM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
“The Big EasyChair”
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 🌳🌴🌲 Sacramento 🌳 🌴🌲
Posts: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Just got the following email:

The date for the much anticipated final pre-construction release for Aura Condos will be Friday March 29 starting at 10 am. Please feel free to stop by the model to get a list of the homes that will be available at these pre-construction prices. Once construction begins we will have another price increase of at least 5%.

Sincerely,

Sherryl Fleeman
Condominium Sales Specialist
Aura Condominiums

Well this is interesting.....

Looks to me like they're either bracing for losses,
or perhaps his lenders are requesting a higher sales threshold??

Nassi has reported (65%). Maybe his sales are much lower than 65%???


Or perhaps they expect cancellations as a result of the endless delays and they're trying to cushion their sales numbers?



Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8
I wonder how this is going to work... I thought AURA needed to break ground
in April to deliver the tower on time to it's buyers that have deposits down.
I believe they have 22 months to complete the tower starting next month.

Supposedly that's the case..

I think the bottom line is that Nassi isn't able to get the financing.
Corus (for whatever reason) has probably backed out, thus necessitating the need for a new lender...

All of these delays will most likely eventually wear on a percentage of the buyers, causing more uncertainty as people seek to be released from their contracts.



Personally I don't think the city should extend the deadline for another 45 days, without some answers...

The council deserves a detailed report from Nassi, as to where exactly this project is.
And while Aura being constructed is in the best interest of Sacramento, the endless drama can't go be allowed to go on forever...
__________________
Sacramento

Last edited by urban_encounter; Mar 30, 2007 at 1:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #675  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 1:44 AM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
“The Big EasyChair”
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 🌳🌴🌲 Sacramento 🌳 🌴🌲
Posts: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugit View Post

Apparently, being a big name high rise developer like Nassi doesn't make much of a difference either.

Well you hit the nail on the head with this comment..

No arguments from me....



__________________
Sacramento
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #676  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:07 AM
innov8's Avatar
innov8 innov8 is offline
Kodachrome
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: livinginurbansac.blogspot
Posts: 5,088
I have noticed a shift on the forum here... and I say this with respect to you
Urban E. because you are a bud of mine, but I believe you have taken over
Majins role as the ultimate doubter and non-believer. I know you have been
watching this same cycle in Sactown for many years, but I think things are
changing and the new can-do attitude will be squashed by this summer.
Of course this is only my opinion and an educated guess.

Rome was not built in couple years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #677  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:08 AM
BrianSac's Avatar
BrianSac BrianSac is offline
CHACUN SON GOÛT
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,646
Quote:
can we quit with the name-calling of our city? you all need to train your minds to show a little pride, Sac needs it. many people are invested wholeheartedly in making this city a better place to live and the denigrating jokes made by many residents (most of whom have done little to improve this city) are getting obnoxious, not to mention old.
I understand, but sometimes it just feels GOOD.... to express my frustration by making fun of the situation.

Quote:
I would honestly like to punch someone in the face from the Bay Area who put down my city. But I don't mind the self-degradation from our own residents, it's somewhat theraputic at times. I do completely agree with your call to action, though. Sacramento could use a lot more people who "do something" to better our city.
I agree. I've participated by attending workshops, neighborhood meetings, and I usually post in the BEE. I could do a lot more though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #678  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:36 AM
urban_encounter's Avatar
urban_encounter urban_encounter is offline
“The Big EasyChair”
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 🌳🌴🌲 Sacramento 🌳 🌴🌲
Posts: 6,008
Has Dave Jones changed his mind about taxpayer money being used for sports???

Assembly OKs Olympic spending
By Jim Sanders - Sacramento Bee Capitol Bureau
Published 12:08 pm PDT Thursday, March 29, 2007


The Assembly passed legislation Thursday designed to bolster Los Angeles' bid to host the 2016 Olympic Games.

The measure, Assembly Bill 300, passed by a vote of 65-0.

The bill would allow Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to commit the state to limited financial liability if a Los Angeles Olympics ran a huge deficit.

Under AB 300, the state would agree to pay up to $250 million if the Olympics' debt could not be covered by event revenues, insurance policies or other means.

Los Angeles and Chicago are vying for the right to host the 2016 summer games.

If Los Angeles hosts the Olympics, events are expected to be held in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Anaheim, Arcadia, Pasadena, Monterey Park and various other cities.

AB 300 now goes to the Senate. It would take effect immediately if it passes both houses by a two-thirds margin and is signed by Schwarzenegger.

Assemblywoman Karen Bass, a Los Angeles Democrat who presented the bill Thursday, said the governor has agreed to sign the measure.




Speaking now as a native.......

Sacramento Assemblyman Dave Jones (who you might remember lead the effort against public funds being used for an arena in Sacramento) seems to have voted for Assembly Bill 300 according to his office; and with no apparent opposition to AB 300.

Assembly Bill 300 is a State backed taxpayer guarantee to cover cost overruns (to the tune of $250 million dollars) so as not to put the city of Los Angeles at financial risk should a Los Angeles Olypiad go over budget.

So while Assemblyman Jones is staunchly against using Sacramento taxpayer money for an arena in Sacramento, he doesn't mind putting Sacramento taxpayers at risk for games being held in Los Angeles.

Recall that Jones held a number of press conferences to lead the opposition against the use of taxpayer money for sports, saying that if an arena were such a good deal why aren't the Maloofs or the NBA willing to fund it themselves...

I would assume that if the Olympics are such a good deal for L.A. why is Dave Jones voting to put up Sacramento taxpayer money as a guarantee??

I bring this up, not in order to knock L.A. because they're only doing what any other city in California would probably do, so please nobody start the debate of a city vs. city. I'm bringing this up only to illustrate Dave Jones apparent 180 degree about face on using public funds for sports.....


I just found it a bit hypocritical by Assemblyman Dave Jones....


BTW his phone number at the Capitol is (916) 319-2009 if anyone is interested in sharing their opinions with Assemblyman Dave Jones
__________________
Sacramento
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #679  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 2:56 AM
BrianSac's Avatar
BrianSac BrianSac is offline
CHACUN SON GOÛT
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,646


although it hurts what Dave Jones has done to Sac. i support his efforts to suport LA, sorry but no way in hell do I want chicago to beat out LA for the olympics. Although I'm glad you are pointing out Jone's hypocrisy!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #680  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2007, 3:11 AM
arod74's Avatar
arod74 arod74 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: east Sac
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post


What exactly is wrong with Sac State? I go there and it's a good school. Nearly everybody I've talked to who has transfered from different schools (including SF State, San Jose State, San Deigo State, etc) has told me it's a great school. We have great professors here thats taught all over the country and have lots of experience.

Don't understand what the hate is with Sac State.
Nothing is wrong with Sac State Majin... except for maybe all those pesky trees on campus dropping stuff on your car . All kidding aside, I too am a proud alum and as eloquently presented by reggiesquared there are many great things about Sac State. I think Pres. Gonzales has done some good things in his short time as far as increasing alum/booster activisim and fundraising to bring things like a new athletic field house and student fitness center to campus. And hopefully a badly needed multipurpose arena in the near future. The new, expanded student dorm facilities will hopefully reverse the commuter campus syndrome a bit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:03 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.