Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac
Mercy has bent over backwards for their neighbors by downsizing their plans dramatically.
Don't forget, its Mercy's neighborhood, too. Mercy has been serving the health care needs of Sacramento for 125 years or more.
Mercy is going to build a BRAND NEW SCHOOL, and create 20 new residences in addition to the Heart Center.
The Heart Center is only 4 stories tall with only 123,350 sf.
This Heart Center will be state-of-the-art and one day may save your life, or a loved ones life.
Why would anyone push away such an important asset to our city? Those in opposition are just plain selfish. People like that disgust me.
|
I don't work for Mercy but I make a call there about once a month as part of my job. About half the time when I get there the parking deck is full with a line of cars waiting to get in. A guard lets a couple cars in as other cars leave. Even once I'm inside the deck it can take another 15 minutes of driving in circles before I find a space.
I can wait but patients who have appointments and employees who are late to work go into the neighborhood and park in front of people's houses and walk back to the hospital. The neighborhood is reasonably concerned that adding additional beds and new services (as opposed to renovating the outmoded facility Mercy's already got) will worsen the parking situation. I don't live in that neighborhood but until Mercy scaled back their plan I saw "Have Mercy! No expansion!" picket signs in the front lawns of practically every house up and down H and J Street. It looked to me like 80-90% of the houses within six blocks of Mercy had a "No!" picket.
Most of the signs are gone now, so hopefully the revised plans for a smaller facility are more acceptable to neighbors. I don't know the details.
Obviously I'm not opposed to more cardiac care beds in Sacramento. I don't think anyone is. Sacramento is growing fast and all of the hospitals are overburdened. But Sutter General, Mercy, and Sutter Memorial are already clustered together in one small part of town. If Mercy wants to add more beds why not in the parts of town that have no beds at all, like Natomas or Rancho Cordova?
Getting to the ER quickly is a cornerstone of cardiac care. Why add more cardiac beds to an area of town where there are already three cardiac care units within two miles? Natomas will have 100,000 people eventually and the nearest hospital is Sutter General! Mercy could do more good building a cardiac care center up there right off the freeway without all the space and road constraints of East Sac, and the neighbors would be more than grateful.