HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1081  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 9:04 PM
Bucky Bucky is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 37
Re: Chinatown hotel. I had a client (deceased) who owned that property for years and could never figure out what to put there. That is why there was only a billboard on the property for so long. The difficulty is vehicle access.
Archer has a railroad underpass making egress dangerous. Clark St. backs up
to the north during rush hour. Because of the RR underpass at Cermak a left
turn is virtually impossible. This causes me to have doubts about this projects
feasibility.
     
     
  #1082  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 9:11 PM
Loopy's Avatar
Loopy Loopy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Isaac Newton View Post
Glashaus is 45% sold or are you talking about a different project?
I think he is talking about 1349 South Wabash, which is just South of Glashaus. But, like the rendering of Imperial Court, you will get a headache trying to imagine this building in any sort of realistic context.


http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=285073
     
     
  #1083  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 9:23 PM
museumparktom museumparktom is offline
Chicagotom SSC
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 438
Loopy - My bad, I was talking about 1349(45% sold). You see in that drawing that this building (1349) in on a corner. Not so. It right up against the 9 story storage building. At least Enterprise only omits buildings. This guy just flat out puts the buildings out of context.
     
     
  #1084  
Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 11:11 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by museumparktom View Post
Loopy - My bad, I was talking about 1349(45% sold). You see in that drawing that this building (1349) in on a corner. Not so. It right up against the 9 story storage building. At least Enterprise only omits buildings. This guy just flat out puts the buildings out of context.
You gotta wonder about him. I know someone - was it Honte? had criticized the quality of his completed developments in the city - certainly the quality of his renderings are no better!
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1085  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 6:51 AM
Dan in Chicago's Avatar
Dan in Chicago Dan in Chicago is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 612
Some status changes on Emporis:

Michigan Avenue Tower 2 is under construction (thanks BVic for reporting)

The Chandler, Vision on State, and 451 Huron are all topped out.
__________________
Gallery, list, & map of all Chicago high-rises under construction
     
     
  #1086  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 4:58 PM
honte honte is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago - every nook and cranny
Posts: 4,628
Hmm... not crazy about this.

________________________

Feb. 20, 2007
By Thomas A. Corfman
http://chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=23924

With developers eyeing site, Lawry’s considering move
Developers’ interest in the longtime site of Lawry's Restaurants Inc. near North Michigan Avenue may force the prominent eatery to move when its lease expires in nearly two years.

Lawry’s has hired Northern Realty Group Ltd. to test the market on a possible move from the former mansion at 100 E. Ontario St., where the restaurant has been located since 1974, says Richard Frank, CEO of the Pasadena, Calif.-based chain.

Lawry’s lease expires in December 2008. Talks to renew the agreement with Rose Grossinger, trustee of a family trust that owns the property, have stalled, Mr. Frank says.

“She does have a valuable piece of property,” he says. “She gets inquiries from time to time, people say can we redevelop it for you . . . and she has certain expectations of what that may mean in terms of a renewal rent, and we need to know what our options are.”

“Her adviser is telling her that people want to come and develop high-rises,” adds Bruce Kaplan, president of Chicago-based Northern, who declines to identify the adviser.

Ms. Grossinger declines to comment.

Lawry’s Chicago location has annual revenue of about $9 million, Mr. Frank says. The two-story building has just 12,000 square feet of “usable” space, he says.

With such high revenue, a location a half block west of Michigan Avenue may not be as necessary as it once was, giving Lawry’s a chance to take advantage of the expanding retail locations in River North and Streeterville.

In its search for a possible new location, Lawry’s is looking in an area bounded by Oak and Dearborn streets, McClurg Court and the Chicago River, according to an announcement sent to retail real estate brokers last month. The restaurant is also considering expanding to about 16,000 square feet.
     
     
  #1087  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 6:16 PM
VivaLFuego's Avatar
VivaLFuego VivaLFuego is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blue Island
Posts: 6,510
^ Yeah, tough call. The more density the merrier, but that is a pretty cool building that Lawry's is currently in. Not sure what the inside is like, perhaps at least the facade could be saved and reused.
     
     
  #1088  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 6:28 PM
Belacqua Belacqua is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18
I believe the Granville is now u/c. They seemed to be drilling caissons when I passed by there this morning, and there were lots of tubes stacked around.
     
     
  #1089  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 7:09 PM
Pandemonious's Avatar
Pandemonious Pandemonious is offline
Chaos Machine
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,290
Thanks for the correction Colemonkee.. there is a building i walk by often in the Loop that looks a hell of a lot like it.

The Lawry's building is beautiful IMO, and the interior is pretty classy. Their prime rib just flat out rules. I think it would be a big loss to tear it down.
__________________
My Diagram: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?m2346
     
     
  #1090  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 8:06 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Chicago View Post
Some status changes on Emporis:

Michigan Avenue Tower 2 is under construction (thanks BVic for reporting)

The Chandler, Vision on State, and 451 Huron are all topped out.
thanks for the heads up, dan. i've made all changes o page 1.






Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
I believe the Granville is now u/c. They seemed to be drilling caissons when I passed by there this morning, and there were lots of tubes stacked around.
thanks for the tip. it does sound like the granville is now U/C. i've changed its status on page 1. this one took one hell of a long time to finally get moving.
__________________
"Missing middle" housing can be a marvelous middle ground for many middle class families.
     
     
  #1091  
Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 10:23 PM
Nowhereman1280 Nowhereman1280 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pungent Onion, Illinois
Posts: 8,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belacqua View Post
I believe the Granville is now u/c. They seemed to be drilling caissons when I passed by there this morning, and there were lots of tubes stacked around.
Yes I said I saw the equipment out there on Friday, but they weren't going yet. I can definately confirm that they are drilling Cassions at the Granville. I have a friend with a third story window view of it from across the El.

I've also been in Lawry's and the inside is amazing, I would hate to see it go, the building is a big part of the character of that restaurant. You feel really high class when you step in that place. I have to say I would be against the move/demolition, though I guess it would be acceptable as long as something tall with nice architecture or just with amazing architecture replaced it.
     
     
  #1092  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 3:18 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
The Wit Hotel

Another sighting of the elusive backhoe to report at The Wit site at State and Lake. As I was just in a cab going past on Lake, I couldn't tell what if anything it was doing...
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1093  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 3:46 AM
VivaLFuego's Avatar
VivaLFuego VivaLFuego is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Blue Island
Posts: 6,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Yes I said I saw the equipment out there on Friday, but they weren't going yet. I can definately confirm that they are drilling Cassions at the Granville. I have a friend with a third story window view of it from across the El.

I've also been in Lawry's and the inside is amazing, I would hate to see it go, the building is a big part of the character of that restaurant. You feel really high class when you step in that place. I have to say I would be against the move/demolition, though I guess it would be acceptable as long as something tall with nice architecture or just with amazing architecture replaced it.
I think I would be amenable to a facadectomy on this one....and maybe where applicable/possible, preserve some of the interior finishes for a restaurant space in the replacement building.
     
     
  #1094  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 12:14 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,831
INSIDE COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
Bronzeville mixed-use plan saves space for lower-income buyers

BY SUSAN DIESENHOUSE
Published February 21, 2007

The Bronzeville neighborhood is planned as the home of The Metropolis, a $155 million mixed-use project with a first phase that includes 330,000 square feet of retail space and 102 residential condominiums in two six-story buildings, said the developer, Capri Capital Partners LLC.

"The ultimate design intent is to create a city center for the Near South Side," said Capri Chairman and Chief Executive Quintin E. Primo III, who plans to build the project in a joint venture with Judson Investment Co. Both are based in Chicago.

"What's unique here is that two minority-owned firms will provide funding and expertise," noted Primo, a Chicago native who said he hopes the project will receive some tax-increment financing.

The housing will include about 20 units reserved for low- and moderate-income buyers who earn no more than 80 percent of the area's median income.

Primo said that's about $51,000 for a family of four. Those residences will sell for about $160,000 compared to about $300,000 for a similar market rate unit, he said.

The project, which ultimately could total 1 million square feet, has been designed by Ross Wimer, a partner at Skidmore Owings & Merrill.

The retail portion of the site, bordered by Pershing Road, 40th Street, a Chicago Rock Island Railroad embankment and State Street, will be marketed by Todd Caruso at CB Richard Ellis.

The two-year construction project is scheduled to start by early 2008, though the venture still must buy from the city 8 acres of the 10-acre site.



PLANNING FIRM CFO: On Tuesday, Joe Dailey became chief financial officer at Perkins + Will Inc.

The hire comes on the heels of rapid growth at the 71-year-old architecture, design and planning firm.

In 2006, its billings rose 40 percent and its staff expanded by 15 percent compared with the previous year, a company spokeswoman said.

The company was founded in Chicago, where it still has one of its 19 offices.

Its previous CFO, Dave Zimmerman, will assume the newly created post of director of finance for growth and acquisitions at the company's headquarters in Atlanta.

Dailey, who is a certified public accountant with an MBA, had just left another well-known Chicago design firm, Skidmore Owings & Merrill LLP, where he was also the chief financial officer.



GRAND PROJECT ON WAY: The Grand Imperial Hotel, a new 15-story pagoda-topped condominium hotel, is being planned for Chinatown with 170 rooms and 10,000 square feet of retail space.

The developers, See Wong and Peter Siu, who are partners at Chicago-based Emerald Homes LLC, plan to spend about $50 million to build the hotel on a vacant site at Archer Avenue and Clark Street.

It will have a Chinese garden, a sky lounge and a restaurant with views of Lake Michigan and downtown.

Inside, the decor will feature styles from three Chinese dynasties: Tang, Sung and Ming. The artwork and furniture will be custom made in China.

Site work should start in the summer, with construction to follow soon after. Financing for land acquisition has been provided by the American Metro Bank based in Chicago's Uptown neighborhood. It was founded in 1997 by Wong, who is still an executive board member.

The developers hope to attract visitors to the McCormick Place convention center from China, Japan and Hong Kong, Wong said.

----------

[email protected]



Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune
__________________
titanic1
     
     
  #1095  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 2:43 PM
aaron38's Avatar
aaron38 aaron38 is offline
312
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Palatine
Posts: 4,346
I thought I'd post this for those who didn't notice.
MayorOfChicago posted a damn nice photo tour in the City Photos section.
He did that same crazy 🞵🞵🞵 walk that I did, but he took a LOT more photos, with a lot of construction pics scattered throughout.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=125993
     
     
  #1096  
Old Posted Feb 21, 2007, 3:04 PM
Tom In Chicago's Avatar
Tom In Chicago Tom In Chicago is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sick City
Posts: 7,603
Funny. . . I drove by the Granville last night and noticed that it was under construction. . . I see that Steely Dan noticed that too, but I'd all but forgot about that one. . .
__________________
Tom in Chicago
. . .
Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky.
     
     
  #1097  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 12:00 AM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
The Wit, Part II

Description of a project matching The Wit showed up again today on Bidclerk.com. I'm hoping the information was out of date or something, because it listed the project as being in the conceptual stage and an estimated construction start date of November 2007......I would think the developer (ECD Co.) would want to move ASAP. I mean, with the stage of the cycle the hotel market is in at the moment, the optimal time to build is right now...
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
     
     
  #1098  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 12:05 AM
Pandemonious's Avatar
Pandemonious Pandemonious is offline
Chaos Machine
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,290
^There was a backhoe and some other sort of pumping truck at that site that I saw the other day, but they were only working in the alley, at least when I saw them. I wasnt sure what they were doing, but the equipment wasn't touching the site itself although they had the gate open.
__________________
My Diagram: http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?m2346
     
     
  #1099  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 12:31 AM
i_am_hydrogen i_am_hydrogen is offline
tilted & shifted
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonious View Post
^There was a backhoe and some other sort of pumping truck at that site that I saw the other day, but they were only working in the alley, at least when I saw them. I wasnt sure what they were doing, but the equipment wasn't touching the site itself although they had the gate open.
I saw the same thing and was puzzled myself as to whether that work had anything to do with theWit.
     
     
  #1100  
Old Posted Feb 22, 2007, 12:54 AM
SolarWind's Avatar
SolarWind SolarWind is offline
Chicago
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,629
More scaffolding is going up at 155 North Wacker.

February 21, 2007





     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:25 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.