HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 4:27 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Well, Manu is 146m and Burj Dubai will be about 950m ....

Stack 6.5 Manulife's up and you'd have about the right height. And then make it 3 manu's wide as well
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 4:34 PM
ExcaliburKid's Avatar
ExcaliburKid ExcaliburKid is offline
Derp
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,227
Happy New Year gents, been away since xmas, and just got back. Good looking prof. building, as well as the Royal Alex announcement. I also liked that top 10 list of great ideas, good going c2e! I think the one I would like to see realized first is the new bridge for the N.Sask.
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 5:42 PM
Rocket252 Rocket252 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post
A little OT, but if anyone is following the worlds largest tower construction - the Burj Dubai has surpassed 100 floors:


They also have found cracks in the foundation around floor 17 - big problem apparently, but I suppose problems do arise when you're building a ~189 storey tower.

Fascinating.
Who has the money and ego to build such a thing?
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 5:45 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
^ Rich rich people

That current photo is recent as of yesterday - so imagine that is only half of what it will be.... gives you some insight into how large the thing is.
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 5:59 PM
JAH JAH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Who has the money and ego to build such a thing?
People with big pockets, big balls, and big ambition. Now if Edm can find someone with 25% of the balls, money, and ambition..

All I know is that if I worked on top of that 189 story building, I'd sure as hell be worried about some cracks in the foundation
__________________
CITY OF CHAMPIONS
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 6:03 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
I wouldnt want something that all in Edmonton anyways, it's too big. Maybe if we were as dense as NYC or Tokyo.

Back to procura's facelift on the professional building... woo hoo! I hate that current facade. Yes to glass!
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 6:13 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,128
that would look ridiculous here.....hell 60 floors would.....id prefer a few more 30, a grouping of 40, a couple 50, and then a 61.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 6:14 PM
murman murman is offline
Dreaming in Colour
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
good on procura and i guess given the girl, the makeover is ok. I just cant wait to see those retail spots filled up and street life reinjected.

With all the guys "gettin' wood" because this make-over, I can only think that since they haven't seen anthing in what seems like a lifetime, they'll get wood over anything with a pulse.

Aside from improving the street level along this stretch of Jasper, the tower re-design is completely run-of-the-mill, and anything but exciting.

Just another box to house gov't drones...
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 6:26 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
^ lol
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 6:28 PM
JAH JAH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
With all the guys "gettin' wood" because this make-over, I can only think that since they haven't seen anthing in what seems like a lifetime, they'll get wood over anything with a pulse.

Aside from improving the street level along this stretch of Jasper, the tower re-design is completely run-of-the-mill, and anything but exciting.

Just another box to house gov't drones...
murman, i would like to see an example of a couple of nice buildings that you like.. u seem like a very hard person to please
__________________
CITY OF CHAMPIONS
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 6:45 PM
TimB09 TimB09 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
With all the guys "gettin' wood" because this make-over, I can only think that since they haven't seen anthing in what seems like a lifetime, they'll get wood over anything with a pulse.

Aside from improving the street level along this stretch of Jasper, the tower re-design is completely run-of-the-mill, and anything but exciting.

Just another box to house gov't drones...
I think he is jealous of us "gettin wood" as he so puts it. Poor poor Murman.

I think it's great for what is there right now. 100% improvement.
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 6:53 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Yes, I will have to respectfully disagree with Murman as well, this is much more than throwing a sheet over a box like they did with Devonian. It looks nice, I like the street level "marque-style" overhang and detail
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:02 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,128
it is very "edmonton" guys........this in downtown toronto, van, san fran, even calgary to some extent would be "mediocre". It is decent given they have to work with the current structure, but not "great".
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:30 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by murman View Post
With all the guys "gettin' wood" because this make-over, I can only think that since they haven't seen anthing in what seems like a lifetime, they'll get wood over anything with a pulse.

Aside from improving the street level along this stretch of Jasper, the tower re-design is completely run-of-the-mill, and anything but exciting.

Just another box to house gov't drones...
Ya, its much better then it was. Its great that
a) a gravel surfarcing parking lot that fronts jasper ave it gone with its expansion.
b) the building is being pulled out to the sidewalk
c) it gets rid of that ugly facade, and the front entrace/foyer that doesnt match

I realize this is just a renovation and expansion, but I personally wanted to pay to see that eyesore gone, or done something like what we have here. Its definately not a nice new office tower.

Murman, I think you're getting wood talking about other guys getting wood. Sometimes you focus so much on the negative of everything, and try to pull everyone down with you.
There are many postives with this one to get excited over, but its still not a new office tower.
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:37 PM
TimB09 TimB09 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,526
Hey Feepa
You can change Vivacity from Proposed to Under Construction. Is it not in that stage now?

Great job on that front page too!
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:41 PM
Kevin_foster's Avatar
Kevin_foster Kevin_foster is offline
Kevin Folds Five
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 6,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Hey Feepa
You can change Vivacity from Proposed to Under Construction. Is it not in that stage now?

Great job on that front page too!
shouldn't you be saying:

"You can change Vivacity from Proposed to Under Construction. Is it not in that stage now?"
__________________
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:42 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,128
ok, ill duck after i post this, but here is a project on lougheed hwy in burnaby...yes suburban office/condo/retail mixed use.....and a very very good example of what we should be seeing along jasper, along 109st and in the bp's lands area. Imagine this on 109st between jasper and 100ave.



again, this isnt to say it is coming here or the such, this is a GOOD example of what we SHOULD be seeing here.....
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:45 PM
sdimedru sdimedru is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 741
^ good emphasis on the "good" and "should"

hopefully people don't start another b*tch session!


cool lookin project btw
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:48 PM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
This is a bit off-topic (only slightly) but anyway here it goes...

As you all know I am a journalism student, and I am entering my final semester at MacEwan. For my Advanced Reporting class which focuses on feature writing, I have decided to write a piece about Skyscraper enthusiasts and I was wondering if a few of you might want to do an interview on why you love Skyscrapers and why you love this forum so much, as well as a bit about the projects in Edmonton you are the most excited about.

If this sounds like a bit of fun and potentially a chance to get your name and face splashed across a page of glossy newsprint, let me know. The article is due possibly next Friday or the week after, depending on how the article shapes up. Thanks in advance. Ian Weetman aka Canucklehead2
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 7:52 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,128
^id be down for something like this.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:58 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.