I figured I'd revive this thread to post an idea from C2E:
I always felt that the LRT worked great for getting traffic downtown and to other places, but it was always impractical to get 'around' downtown. (Unless you were traveling from Grandin to Churchill or something)
Also, the buses traveling down Jasper are frequent, yet busy. Not to mention the large population (and future population) of the rest of Jasper Ave. and area outside of downtown. (from 82 to 124)
I can tell you that many more people would be willing to step on a fixed rail system over a bus any-day. My experiences in Vienna, Toronto and beyond have gone to prove this. Heck, even in Edmonton, many people would jump on the LRT over a bus if it made sense.
Fixed rail makes sense to people. They know where it's going. They know it will be frequent, and they know it can't deviate from the path even if it wanted to. On top of that, it appeals to people a lot more then buses do. Perhaps it's stereotyping, perhaps it's the wait times, at stations, but it's true.
So here it is.
Now there are a couple things here that would be debatable. For instance, would it be a center of the street path, or in the far right current bus lanes? Would it be a hop-on and off system, or designated stops (small platforms)?
I propose a center of the street system, with small platforms (at grade, not raised) every couple of blocks. This is much like the Vienna system. There is the option of it crossing over for street side stops if need be. (like Vienna as well)
The garage would be just south of the current Stadium LRT station. (replacing the mini storage there as well) The street cars would also have priority signaling at the 111th and 82nd st. intersection for turning.
The alternative route is also an option catering to downtown east traffic, churchill sq., etc. As I currently reevaluate, this may be the better route. There is also the option of expanding this network north up 124th as it becomes more of a pedestrian-orientated street, and south down 109th and the High Level Bridge, eventually turning down Whyte Ave to 99th St.