Quote:
Originally Posted by az_daniel
While I totally agree on the drive-thru point here (the area is already a gridlocked mess of cars circulating in an extraordinarily poorly planned parking lot), I have to say that as a frequent visitor to the shopping on both sides of the 51, an off-street pedestrian connection would be incredibly useful.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean
I don't know why someone would question a pedestrian bridge over a freeway in already car-choked area, especially in a forum of supposed urbanists.
Anyone who has had to cross curb cut after curb cut dodging fast moving traffic when a sidewalk interfaces with a freeway would never raise an eyebrow about better infrastructure.
|
The bridge wouldn't necessarily be harmful, but it doesn't seem like a good allocation of resources when there is already one at Campbell, and the sidewalks on Highland and Camelback do not involve crossing freeway on or off ramps. There are many other places where pedestrian freeway crossings are non-existent for miles.
If they do proceed with the bridge, I hope it is better designed than the ones at Oak and Campbell. Those both involved tortuous switchbacks that lead to hidden areas that have at times been havens for drug dealing and unauthorized camping. Bridge design should be open so anyone approaching can see clearly who is there and what they're doing.
I also hope that any bridge constructed doesn't just dump users into parking lots full of drive-thru traffic or leave them facing the backsides of big box stores. The bridge should align with shaded and welcoming pedestrian pathways. That will require a pretty radical rethinking of the shopping centers on both sides of SR-51.