Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM
I mean we have to be real about this. From where I sit, it looks like an unhinged online mob chased the goalie out of town.
|
Please tell me you aren't serious with this comment?
If this was actually the case, the press and attention this would have brought at the time it was occurring would have been intense. Remember when Scheifele's family was threatened after his hard, legal check in the playoffs against Montreal? I do. Remember when Helle's family was threatened after the Olympics? I don't.
The fact there was crickets tells you everything you need to know.
Here is my take (which I have mostly posted before):
- Helle is at least soft MAGA (his opinions during Covid and accepting and embracing his white house visit with Trump as examples).
- There was almost certainly some degree of let's build NHL super teams (based in the US) during the post Olympics Gold medal fervor.
- The Jets were 🞵🞵🞵🞵 last year (and so was Helle) but he provided exactly zero accountability for his part of it, as the writing - for him - was already on the wall. He had already made up his mind he wanted to move down to a US team.
Anything regarding feeling unsafe or mean posters online is just noise. Stuff he can use to get you looking over there while he was already on the move.
To me, it similar to 7-11 press releasees as they close stores for what is ultimately the same reason. In Vancouver, it's because of changing markets conditions or moving to a different business model. In Winnipeg, it's robbery.
Helle is doing his 7-11 swipe at a vulnerable Winnipeg - because he can - and because he lacks the courage to simply tell the truth.