I went out for a bike ride around SF today and did an unofficial crane count. This is not necessarily comprehensive; it's possible I may have missed some cranes, especially if there's any in the outer neighborhoods. Feel free to inform me of any I missed. For the sake of brevity, I'll only post pictures in the threads for projects with individual threads.
Here's what I observed:
- 60 Spear renovation of existing tower with new rooftop restaurant. "Office Resort" concept.
- 967 Mission: 9-story, 95-unit affordable housing
- 300 De Haro: 11-story, 425-unit affordable housing
- Potrero Power Station Block 2: Eight-story UCSF cancer reserach center. 2 cranes up for this project.
- 2270 Mckinnon: 5-story self-storage/industrial. I only saw this from a distance so I'm not 100% sure it's the right project but the location seems pretty close.
- Sutter Advanced Neuroscience Complex at Mission-Bernal: New 5-story medical building at CPMC Mission-Bernal campus (intersection of Cesar Chavez and Valencia.) Sadly this one is significantly shorter than the 11-story building that stood here until 2020.
- 2970 16th St "La Maravilla:" 9-story, 136-unit permanent supportive housing at politically controversial site by 16th St Mission BART.
- 1687 Market: 17-story, 102-unit affordable artist housing at the site of the now-demolished historic McRoskey Mattress Co building.
- UCSF Health Helen Diller Hospital: New 15-story medical center at UCSF Parnassus Heights campus. 2 cranes for the main project.
- UCSF Barbara and Gerson Bakar Research Building: New 8(?)-story addition to the UCSF Parnassus Heights campus, separate from the main hospital project. Replacing a historic but seismically unsound 6-story wing of the hospital. Much further along than the other project.
- Mcallister Tower Apartments: Renovation of 28-story, 1930-built Art Deco tower that serves as dormitories for UC Law SF (formerly UC Hastings).
- 1123 Sutter: 22-story, 303-unit tower in Polk Gulch/Lower Nob Hill. 102 of the units will be deed-restricted affordable housing.
This brings us to a total of 14 cranes across 12 unique projects, 10 of which are actually new development and not a renovation of an existing building. 4 of these projects are 100% affordable housing, 4 are medical/institutional, one is industrial, and one is mixed market-rate and affordable housing. This doesn't reflect the full scope of active development sites in SF, as there are several projects that have taken down their cranes or are not using a crane. But I didn't document those to avoid the scope of my crane count from getting out of hand.
Overall, this speaks to what many of us are already aware of: SF's development pipeline is propped up by institutional projects and affordable housing, with very little market-rate housing or office action. That said, changes could be around the corner, with a new rush from market-rate developers to pull building permits. Here's hoping that we will see more cranes on the skyline soon!