Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend
The side benefit (and I would argue an even more important benefit) is to improve overall connectivity of the city.
It is also possible to remove unnecessary private vehicles running through downtown that will have a more direct route between east Gatineau and east Ottawa and a less congested route from Gatineau to Highway 417 east.
|
100%. It's a pain to have to go through Downtown anytime I need to go to the east side of the Gatineau River. There's a significant amount of students, worker and patients that make that huge detour to get to east end Federal complexes, La Cité and Montfort.
It's not just for trucks, but to reduce congestion through Downtown.
For the truck traffic, we can encourage the use of Kettle with tolls; put higher tolls on MC than Kettle and Bob's you're uncle. I would not toll passenger cars because we don't have a good, reliable transit alternative.