HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2101  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2026, 8:43 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
.
60 ACRES



A perfect place to bury a body.

.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2102  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2026, 10:19 PM
Lwize Lwize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 604
A perfect place to bury a population.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2103  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2026, 4:33 AM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
A mystery location.





....(the general area is ok)

.
Looks like LA County Hospital in the background?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2104  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2026, 4:39 AM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
I keep coming across this snapshot / so I'm finally going to post it.



.
He looks kind of like a young Jack Dempsey.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2105  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2026, 5:52 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725
^^^

At first glance I thought the name written on the back was Judd Ballard or Balland.
But the first name may have a dotted "i" in it. (?) And the last name may begin with "R"!

Last edited by Martin Pal; Aug 13, 2026 at 6:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2106  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2026, 7:56 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
.
He really does look like Dempsey.




I like the border on this small photograph.


eBay

She doesn't look too thrilled.


.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2107  
Old Posted Aug 13, 2026, 8:15 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
.
A dapper young gentleman.

"Vintage Snapshot Photo Young Dapper Man Los Angeles California B&W Photograph"



eBay





Photographer's stamp.





I've trying to 'read' the shield on his




Trojans? . . . Knights?

.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2108  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 6:13 AM
fullpower's Avatar
fullpower fullpower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
I never thought I'd see a Schlitz billboard at the corner of Sunset and Vine. [1951]



eBay

Also . . .



I SPY Hedy Lamarr.



maybe

.
Didnt realize Radio City was directly across from Music City
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2109  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 6:23 AM
fullpower's Avatar
fullpower fullpower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
By the way, what's going on with this billboard? It looks like it should say Steve Martin - "A Wild and Crazy Guy", but the text is all misplaced.


I think the Billboard was miss-printed on purpose the same way the KMET Billboards were sometimes upside down. I'm not 100 percent sure, but i somehow remember Steve Martin's billboards having a joke in them.

Maybe someone else can verify or dispute my memory.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2110  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 7:15 AM
Alkapone Alkapone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 388
Other than the close-up and interior shots found in menus (see worthpoint), I didn’t think it would ever be possible to find an image to put it in a place context, but there’s a 1951 newspaper photo clipping on pinterest which caught Ruby’s Drive-In on Market at 13th in Riverside found here: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/1951-market-st-riverside-california--12877548920729171/

I cropped and enlarged the right side to see it a bit better…



sourced pinterest page as linked.

The article does not identify the cross street nor the building, but a comparison of the roof sign to what’s on the menu gives it away. There was another Ruby’s in the San Bernadino area which has not surfaced in photos so far.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2111  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 2:53 PM
Alkapone Alkapone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 388
Here is an instagram posting with three (3) images related to the Skip Fordyce Harley dealership at both of its’ two locations on 14th Street: https://www.instagram.com/p/C78W6Leti51/

Information on the first building suggests it was previously an auto dealership which was there before Fordyce occupied the building in 1941. We can probably place it right where the parking lot for the later BofA building sits, with the current driveway behind that structure replacing the small road section that ran east-west in front of the Fordyce shop, and the bank building itself placed where a rectangular lot was north of that pass thru. The curvature street passing the De Anza statue (a park preseve) was alongside the west end. All of which left me seriously doubting the photo ER posted that alleged to be Ruverside’s Main Street in the 1930’s could be a shot taken at 14th. Maybe it would work for a later time frame with the dealership torn down, but even that is a tricky assumption. If we were to search further up on Main from 6th Street north, something might fit but I can’t spot any close features on maps. (And the PE land reserve for the turn away from upper Market was still there at least into the 80’s but there’s not many images of that sector to work with.) The 2nd Fordyce at 3777 is reported on FB to be a survivor still in use as a retail store.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2112  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 7:06 PM
riichkay riichkay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 396



Re: this image, I contacted the Old Riverside Foundation, their site is here.....https://oldriverside.org....I asked for their help in identifying the location.

Within minutes I had a reply from the Old Riverside president, Dave Stolte, who responded as follows....

"Hi -

It doesn’t look immediately familiar. I don’t see any recognizable architecture, geographical features, or business names. A search for “The Nook” antique store came up short, and it’s not listed in the 1939 city directory. The photo might be misattributed."

So we might have another misidentified location on our hands.

Dave supplied a link to an interesting project one of his board members is conducting, they are locating vintage photos to an interactive Inland Empire map:

https://yesterdays.inlandempire.place

I thanked Dave for his help and rapid response.

Last edited by riichkay; Aug 14, 2026 at 7:55 PM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2113  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 8:16 PM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,652


Cheating shamelessly with A.I. (because nothing else was working), I zeroed in on what's at the top of the billboard we see at left from behind: MAURICE BALL, seemingly with more beyond that. A.I. was certain--certain, I tells ya--that that refers to Maurice Ball Quality Furs, the location of which was (and I quickly state that this is not the location of the postcard view!) 500 W. 7th St. (7th and Olive), quoth A.I. A.I. further suggests that the billboard was likely somewhere along the further reaches of Wilshire, or perhaps somewhere in Studio City or Sherman Oaks to attract the eye of traveling Hollywood sorts, or perhaps along Route 66 somewhere in its approach to the greater L.A. area.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2114  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 8:17 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
.


Thanks for contacting them, riichkay. I appreciate your help.


Post script:

Also - thanks to Alkapone and odinthor. I don't want to leave anyone out. (and Dave)
.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 15, 2026 at 9:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2115  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 8:30 PM
Alkapone Alkapone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post


Cheating shamelessly with A.I. (because nothing else was working), I zeroed in on what's at the top of the billboard we see at left from behind: MAURICE BALL, seemingly with more beyond that. A.I. was certain--certain, I tells ya--that that refers to Maurice Ball Quality Furs, the location of which was (and I quickly state that this is not the location of the postcard view!) 500 W. 7th St. (7th and Olive), quoth A.I. A.I. further suggests that the billboard was likely somewhere along the further reaches of Wilshire, or perhaps somewhere in Studio City or Sherman Oaks to attract the eye of traveling Hollywood sorts, or perhaps along Route 66 somewhere in its approach to the greater L.A. area.

Fascinating given that Riverside was the more direct route between Los Angeles and Palm Springs which Hollywood folks are known to have used. You came in on the highway through Rubidoux and passed out by Pigeon Pass & the Box Springs Mountains (near Riverside Raceway…Hollywooders again). From there it was through “the Badlands” and on. So maybe the sign faces east on this route to remind them of what can be found 60 miles ahead?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2116  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 8:39 PM
Alkapone Alkapone is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post



Re: this image, I contacted the Old Riverside Foundation, their site is here.....https://oldriverside.org....I asked for their help in identifying the location.

Within minutes I had a reply from the Old Riverside president, Dave Stolte, who responded as follows....

"Hi -

It doesn’t look immediately familiar. I don’t see any recognizable architecture, geographical features, or business names. A search for “The Nook” antique store came up short, and it’s not listed in the 1939 city directory. The photo might be misattributed."

So we might have another misidentified location on our hands.

Dave supplied a link to an interesting project one of his board members is conducting, they are locating vintage photos to an interactive Inland Empire map:

https://yesterdays.inlandempire.place

I thanked Dave for his help and rapid response.
Thanks. I sent a message to the ORF Pres. contact that the unidentified, on that linked blog, John Austin designed SP station (1890’s) is the one on Market Street which was used jointly as an SP/PE depot after PE was handed the old SP tracks in downtown. It remained in use until 1940, probably slightly altered but identifiable enough.(Tickets booked on SP trains allowed you passage on PE trolleys to reach your final destination. SP was able to eliminate local steam services in this manner while still providing full travel access.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2117  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 8:47 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
.
a mystery location. ...3 snapshots being sold together.


"Old 1940's PARADE photos / LOS ANGELES White Swan Cafe Alexander Hotel Drugs"


#1


eBay



#2


eBay







#3


eBay


Good luck!




.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 14, 2026 at 8:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2118  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 9:09 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022
.
a mystery location / somewhere within Elysian Park.


Does this wide-open expanse with a flag pole look familiar to anyone?



Written on the back:



Addie Lee


Does anyone have an aerial of Elysian Park in the 1930s? ... That would help.
.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 15, 2026 at 7:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2119  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 9:12 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,022



For search purposes:....July 4, 1930 - Elysian Park - Los Angeles, Calif.





Grace and Addie Lee

.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2120  
Old Posted Aug 14, 2026, 10:30 PM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
Is anyone familiar with Riverside?


Photo: Riverside California 1930s Main Street Palm Trees Cars



eBay


.
What did Wilshire at its intersection with San Vicente and Sweetzer look like in the 1930s?


gsv
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.