Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734
|
Create lasting local benefits.
Employment and tax revenue seem like the obvious local benefits. They've thrown around estimates so far, but we won't know the assessment value until it's built. There is a big gap between the online narrative that data centres employ 10 people and the proponents' claim that it will be close to 100-200.
Not shift electricity costs to Canadians.
190MW is self-generated, so that somewhat aligns with this, but the big question is what impact the 200MW from the grid will have. NB Power know the answer to this; let's hope they are transparent. Sadly, I doubt it.
Minimize water use and environmental impacts.
The recirculating cooling systems align with this and minimize water usage. The environmental impact of clearcutting and construction is not as positive. The severity will depend on who you talk to.
Be transparent about local impacts.
I assume this includes things like noise and setbacks, or does it also include similar points to the above, like water, power, and employment? I don't think they've been overly evasive, but they're being very careful about what they say given their opponents. I think the struggle at the moment is that the locals don't believe what they're saying, and it's hard to tell who is right until it's built.
Bring strategic value to Canada.
This ties into who will use the data centre. Is it someone like OpenAI? If so, probably not strategically valuable to Canada. If it is used by Canadian companies to run their models or for defence, it could be very valuable. I don't think we are going to know who wants to use it until it's approved.