ScreamingViking - Funny, I totally forgot about that Kinks song, lol. Surprised its not used at least in a cheeky way for the odd marketing thing or a quick social media clip, lol.
Rico - good grief, will winter ever end!! Funny, when I was in Montreal last September I was thinking I could live here part of the year if I found a cheap apartment.. but then I did the weather math.. too cold November to April (although it warms up then, the late visual start to spring is not ideal) May to June would be great as would September and October, so I don't if anyone would rent me a place for 2 two month stretches, lol. Still love you winter pics, Montreal looks great in the snow and probably enjoyable for someone hardier than myself, lol.
Thanks for the info
Tone! Keep the updates coming, I always enjoy following city changes which you can actually make sense of and not become overwhelmed as with one of the big cities.
905er - I like that picture because it feels balanced, it's a good photograph to start with. Colours are nice, especially with the light blue waterway frames by ice. The building scale works in terms of composition and shape, enough pops of colour - its a good pic that makes you want to linger over it and view it a bit longer. Also the perspective/height the photo was taken - If it was too far away it wouldn't be interesting and if it was too close you'd lose the context, and being on a larger water feature is always a big draw for a city. Also there appears to be few or at least not a lot of parking lots nor commie blocks. Plus as was mentioned last page or so, it may not be the typical polished and refined touristy eastern Canada tourist town but it has a 'frontier' feel which is appealing.
isaidso - whoops, missed your comment. I'm only going by the pictures posted, obviously I've never been and even looking online there are very few recent pics of Rimouski!
As for this comment: "Rimouski looks incredibly grim and bare bones. Miles of asphalt, primitive structures, and not an ounce of refinement anywhere." I mean you could say this about dozens of Canadian cities, big and small to some degree. It's only been in the past 30-40 years that even the big cities began eliminating surface parking lots downtown and across all the prairie cities (less so Calgary now) that's still the case. I get it, it's not an obvious choice, lol - but I'm willing to be the lone Rimouski fan on SSP!