giallo - haha - doesn't it though. My daughter commented when she saw that pic - "ah, I see you got a typical Fernwood shot". People attaching messages to the Fernwood Wishing Tree, girls not wearing the typical skin tight leggings you'll see in trendier neighbourhoods or when running along the coast but old fashion dresses and baggier clothes, the more second hand the better. A bit of an exaggeration but not far off. Both my kids went to Vic High school which backs onto this square and I'm only starting to recognize the huge 'cultural' impact that school has on the area and downtown. It's not known for being an academic or sports school, but an inner city arts school where teachers are just happy if the students show up.
Another thing you'll notice, that outside of tourists, Victoria and especially downtown has a distinct feminine vibe in terms of the shops, services and even locals walking around. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to be more of a female hang out/socialize place or maybe that's the way it is in cities across the country?
worldlyhaligonian - I've never been to Australia, although I've heard similar comparisons as well as too some areas of New Zealand, Portland and northern California. I don't think any of them are a close match, but for sure I can see some similarities as when looking for comparables there isn't anything in Canada that's makes sense, other than Vancouver but that's too big, modern and greener most of the year. I'd love to go to Australia one day, but to fly all that way I'd feel I'd want to see different cities and areas while my usual routine is to stay in one city the whole time.
Here's a few pic that to me that most feel like they could be in a smaller town in New Zealand or Australia, but again I don't really know not having been there.

Deuce Days, Victoria - July 20, 2025 by
JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr
and especially the area around Gonzales Beach

Gonzales Beach - June 29, 2025 by
JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Crescent Road looking up to Gonzales Observatory - August 17, 2024 by
JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Gonzales Beach, Victoria, July 26, 2024 by
JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr

Lillian Road by Fairfield Road - Victoria. July 26, 2024. by
JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr