Quote:
|
It’s funny what bothers some people, but doesn’t bother me
|
It's the creeping What-if Boogeyman. The fear is that someone (an employee, a tagger, an urbexer or someone leaning out a train with a frozen door) falls off the edge and then sues BCRTC for "well, if there was a handrail I might of not done that" regardless of the obvious "what the hell were you even doing??" Odds are low, but WorkSafe exists purely to make a paycheck finding ways to say something might happen otherwise, no matter how stupid the scenario.
Expo started off with no handrails, then had them welded in at key locations (normally in the stations). This was followed by the Millennium Line with handrails in key locations such as switches and separated middle handrails on the guideway. The Evergreen Extension made that a near-continuous handrail the entire length of the guideway, now it's (at the least) handrails on the sides (presumably) the entire length.
Aesthetically it spoils the view. Yes, I'm dying on that hill. That's not priority when you just want to build a rail extension but when you are building an above-grade metro, the more it sticks out, the uglier it looks. Likewise unless people got stupider in the last 40 years (they didn't. People just got more paranoid) I don't see the need.
[ramble]
I also see it as a cash grab. The NDP will throw money at you if in exchange you can make them show all these (union) jobs they created as part of the construction because they will never shut up about all these jobs. Look at the jobs! We're building a better BC! Look at all the work that needs to be done! Look at all this money you can make!* [/ramble]
*I'm pointing out my bias here as someone who never went into the trades 20 years ago and thus without a Red Seal has never been eligible for any of the major provincial projects and employment opportunities because a piece of paper says I'm not a pipefitter, welder, general mechanic, electrician, general contractor, HVAC technician, foreman, framer or general laborer. This province 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.[/ramble]