Posted Mar 7, 2026, 8:30 PM
|
 |
Registered User
|
|
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,790
|
|
^I don't think the covered windows are entirely the fault of the previous government. Last year I contacted the Minister responsible to complain about this issue after NDP MLA Glen Simard was quoted in the media saying they were looking at relaxing these requirements.
Here's the response I got from Kristianne Dechant, Executive Director and CEO of the Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Authority of Manitoba (LGCA):
"As you are likely aware, federal restrictions imposed under the Cannabis Act (Canada) guide the provincial framework for cannabis regulation in Manitoba. The Cannabis Act prohibits cannabis and cannabis accessories from being displayed in a way that may result in it being seen by a young person, such as when walking by a store window. In alignment with this federal requirement, the provincial Liquor, Gaming and Cannabis Control Act (the Act) currently requires age-restricted retailers in Manitoba to implement measures to prevent persons outside the store from viewing the interior of the store. The provincial requirement is not specifically for window coverings or opaque windows, and licensed retailers may propose alternate measures to meet this requirement."
So, this suggests retailers could have clear storefront windows, but keep product behind curtains or whatever inside the store, just like they do for cigarettes.
It —, I hate the covered windows. Such a blight on the streetscape.
|