HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9141  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2026, 7:43 PM
wags_in_the_peg's Avatar
wags_in_the_peg wags_in_the_peg is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 3,854
Schwarma Khan in Exchange went "on vacation" around xmas and hasn't re-opened. I know this brings much joy to some of you as you're not a fan of owner, but another lost restaurant in Exchange is not beneficial. It was quite brisk during lunch hour and I visited at least 1x week. I hope they back open soon
__________________
just an ordinary Prairie Boy who loves to be in the loop on what is going on
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9142  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2026, 8:20 PM
cheswick's Avatar
cheswick cheswick is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Kildonan
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Schwarma Khan in Exchange went "on vacation" around xmas and hasn't re-opened. I know this brings much joy to some of you as you're not a fan of owner, but another lost restaurant in Exchange is not beneficial. It was quite brisk during lunch hour and I visited at least 1x week. I hope they back open soon
Pretty sure "closed for vacation" or "closed for renovation" often just a permanent closure but they're liquidating their assets or something along those lines.
__________________
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9143  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2026, 8:27 PM
neutroniks neutroniks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 1,118
Probably to funnel funds into his grift as an MP, so he doesn't have time to manage them anymore. I'd gladly have Ramallah, Baraka or Bladys move into that space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9144  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2026, 10:27 AM
FactaNV FactaNV is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutroniks View Post
Probably to funnel funds into his grift as an MP, so he doesn't have time to manage them anymore. I'd gladly have Ramallah, Baraka or Bladys move into that space.
A Baraka downtown would be elite.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9145  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2026, 3:29 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,357
Ramallah is great. Pretty happy they opened the location on Munroe a few years back.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9146  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2026, 3:40 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
A Baraka downtown would be elite.
I had Baraka for the first time recently.... and I was underwhelmed.

Still looking for a shawarma replacement on the same level as ShawarmaTime on Ellice and Altanour.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9147  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2026, 3:52 PM
Parti in the Back Parti in the Back is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2025
Posts: 8
Different type of shawarma but Danook down the street on Albert is great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9148  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2026, 4:52 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I thought the Merchant kitchen was going in the former grocery space in TNS.
From social media it is fairly clear Mottola Grocery (ground level TNS) has pivoted and reopened as an event space. It was being marketed for Christmas parties in December and this week has made posting about a singles event for Valentines.

I am not certain but I think the attached kitchen may be doing prep and backend work for the second floor food hall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9149  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2026, 5:12 PM
FactaNV FactaNV is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I had Baraka for the first time recently.... and I was underwhelmed.

Still looking for a shawarma replacement on the same level as ShawarmaTime on Ellice and Altanour.

Blasphemy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9150  
Old Posted Jan 30, 2026, 6:26 PM
neutroniks neutroniks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I had Baraka for the first time recently.... and I was underwhelmed.

Still looking for a shawarma replacement on the same level as ShawarmaTime on Ellice and Altanour.
The next time you're at Baraka, get the Beef Pita Pocket w/ extra sauce & add hot sauce (if you're into that. If you don't like heat, forego the hot sauce)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9151  
Old Posted Feb 13, 2026, 11:07 PM
MB204 MB204 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Posts: 3
Oakwood Cafe Closing

Oakwood Cafe has posted to their Instagram account that they will be closing March 8th
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9152  
Old Posted Feb 14, 2026, 12:53 AM
Wpg_Guy's Avatar
Wpg_Guy Wpg_Guy is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 8,464
Lemon Tree in south st vital is also closing.
__________________
Winnipeg Act II - April 2024

Winnipeg Developments

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9153  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2026, 4:09 PM
horrorbro123 horrorbro123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Winnipeg MB
Posts: 476
Gogi Korean BBQ Is Coming To Winnipeg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9154  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2026, 3:42 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,076
I never understood why people liked the oakwood cafe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9155  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2026, 4:32 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,790
Last time I was at Baraka, I didn't think it was as good as I remembered it. Maybe an off day.

Anyone tried Habibiz Cafe (1373 Portage)? I noticed they opened second place down the street, Habibiz Express (1839 Portage, in the former Santorini space), so they must be doing okay.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9156  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2026, 4:47 PM
neutroniks neutroniks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I never understood why people liked the oakwood cafe.
Agreed. I went once because some people local to the area raved about it and google reviews looked favorable.

Went once and had the most bland meal with sub par service and never went back lol
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9157  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2026, 6:15 PM
Sheepish Sheepish is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 483
Green Falafel on Grant is great.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9158  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2026, 8:24 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Anyone tried Habibiz Cafe (1373 Portage)? I noticed they opened second place down the street, Habibiz Express (1839 Portage, in the former Santorini space), so they must be doing okay.
I heard Habibz is connected to the family the operate most of the local Food Fare locations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9159  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2026, 9:02 PM
bussche bussche is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I had Baraka for the first time recently.... and I was underwhelmed.

Still looking for a shawarma replacement on the same level as ShawarmaTime on Ellice and Altanour.
Agreed, I don't I understand the hype. Those 2 were my favs as well.

Currently I go to Danook or Aladin's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9160  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2026, 9:54 PM
neutroniks neutroniks is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bussche View Post
Agreed, I don't I understand the hype. Those 2 were my favs as well.

Currently I go to Danook or Aladin's.
Depends what you order. I personally don't get the shawarma or the platters from Baraka. I got to Ramallah for their platters (who by the way had a wicked $5 deal on their chicken platters yesterday. They also often have BOGO deals on their platters.

Its much like how I go to different Vietnamese restaurants depending if I'm ordering Pho or a Vermicelli bowl or Bo Bun Hue.

Each restaurant has their strengths, esp the middle east ones haha.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:52 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.