Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet
Build housing. Deemed costly and probably won't work.
Provide basic income, free schooling. Housing. Deemed costly and unfair.
Arrest people. Too mean.
Weve tried nothing and were all our of ideas mannnn.
Everyone wants the streets cleaned up but doesn't want to so anything that will inconvenience them. So we'll just suffer the consequences. A 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 downtown. The police budget endlessly explodes but nothing changes. Maybe lets start there.
|
I hear your frustration. When people talk about "cleaning up the streets" I often wonder if there is enough acknowledgement about where social issues are actually coming from.
Thought experiement: If I left a carton of milk on its side on my counter and it was dripping on to the floor I think people would agree that spending money on more paper towel would be a waste unless I also picked the carton back up so it stopped spilling.
The same thing goes with social issues. At the street level its a mess that everyone wants cleaned up but when I hear people suggest that we should arrest these individuals it makes me wonder if those same people would bring that same enthusiasm to addressing the 'upstream' causes of the situaltion.
Let's look at our child welfare system. How is it that a kid with basically no real kinship ties gets set free upon their 18th birthday and expected to make it in today's world. Especially racialized, trans, or queer kids.
Let's look at people being released from incarceration. They are broke, unemployed, homeless, and also stigmatized as excons. Yet we expect them to go make their way in the world.
Let's look at the poverty in MB's remote and northern communities...
these are the 'system taps' that are bringing new individuals to Main and Logan everyday. Attempting to end the issue from the perspecive of Main and Logan is like leaving a carton of milk spilling on to your floor while you invest in more paper towels, except the carton isnt 2L or 4L, its unending.
On the other hand, if we fixed these other systems that cause people to experience homelessness then once the surrent generation of homeless people are housed/healed/passed on etc, then we would have a chance at a future in which there is less "cleaning up downtown" required.