Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish
Cory B
Bulldozing will achieve nothing...other than moving the problem in other directions.
|
Absolutely true, Sheep.
To be perfectly honest, while part of me wants to see the homeless/addicted housed and receive treatment for
their sake, part of me just doesn't want to
look at people unconscious in the streets, or piles of rubbish in public spaces. I don't want to look down on people who are suffering, but I also don't want to "justify" crimes or violence that may be committed by the homeless/addicted against innocent folks who had no direct role in their problems. It's that "help them vs hide them" issue I think many of us deal with.
I don't know if we're ever going
eliminate poverty, homelessness or addiction because so much of the world pushes people towards those ends. I think mitigating a degree of homelessness and addiction can be achievable, not just by making housing and treatment available, but by providing a level if dignity to the homeless/addicted that perhaps they might not see in themselves just yet.
I think building housing and addictions support along Main Street would get more public support if those supports looked pleasing to the folks driving past them at rush hour. If we can create a "this place doesn't look so bad" vibe, in the area it might even, eventually, attract some small scale private investment in the area.