HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2641  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2025, 12:23 AM
sailor734 sailor734 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingun View Post
Kim's Korean new spot in the market has opened up (previously Slocum and Ferris).



Also, the Bagel Artist posted a few weeks back that their appearance was delayed. They also recently moved their main location from the upper floor to the lower floor out on the east side.
Just saw this. While I'm happy to see Kim's grow and succeed it's a sad day to see the Slocum and Ferris name disappear from the market after 100+ years. That guy that bought Dave Forrestal out and ran it into the ground has a lot to answer for. From everything I've heard from other market tenants he was bull headed and refuse to listen to any advice as the place spiraled. He got rid of all the menu items that made it a success and then wondered why he failed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2642  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2025, 1:28 PM
bingun bingun is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I was looking at the 2018 parking strategy and noticed the small city-owned lot at Canterbury and Princess was planned to be replaced with infill development.

The other identified projects in the document are completed: the replacement of the Canterbury/Grannan lot, and the construction of the IOL and JDI garages.

Both Canterbury lots indicate parking demand would be reallocated to what's now Fundy Quay, in addition to the port lot just south of it.

I wonder why the city hasn't tried to get this lot developed. It's about 25% smaller than the lot that became the Telegraph (5,000 sf). Prime location for literally anything. Only provides revenue from 13 monthly passes.

Same with the ample Peters and Paddock lots, which were effectively replaced by the JDI garage. IIRC the Paddock lot is just blocked off right now, and Peters is barely utilized.
That's interesting, I wonder why developing that lot was not actioned. Hopefully, there is a good reason, and it is not just that they forgot about it. With a 4-6-story development, that could be 20-30 units with ground floor retail.

With the new app-based parking system, that lot has the longest waiting list of all of them, from memory. I bet you could double the permit fees, and people would still pay it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Just saw this. While I'm happy to see Kim's grow and succeed it's a sad day to see the Slocum and Ferris name disappear from the market after 100+ years. That guy that bought Dave Forrestal out and ran it into the ground has a lot to answer for. From everything I've heard from other market tenants he was bull headed and refuse to listen to any advice as the place spiraled. He got rid of all the menu items that made it a success and then wondered why he failed.
I agree, and I have heard similar over the years, but I am at least happy that a well-run business in Kim's is taking over the space. I saw the owner standing in there yesterday, scoping out the space. Brent and Joanna were involved in the Slocum and Ferris debacle, too, weren't they?

Last edited by bingun; Dec 30, 2025 at 2:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2643  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2025, 6:21 PM
nwalbert nwalbert is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingun View Post

I agree, and I have heard similar over the years, but I am at least happy that a well-run business in Kim's is taking over the space. I saw the owner standing in there yesterday, scoping out the space. Brent and Joanna were involved in the Slocum and Ferris debacle, too, weren't they?
Joanna and her partner bought Slocum and Ferris. As it spiraled, Joanna left her partner for Brent Harris. A very unfortunate situation, but there also seems to be a trend.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2644  
Old Posted Dec 30, 2025, 8:03 PM
paperplane paperplane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2025
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwalbert View Post
Joanna and her partner bought Slocum and Ferris. As it spiraled, Joanna left her partner for Brent Harris. A very unfortunate situation, but there also seems to be a trend.
Definitely seems to be a lot of drama that follows all of them around...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2645  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2026, 3:36 PM
bingun bingun is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 1,287
Chicken By Felix's new spot is also opened up now (used to be the Wild Carrot). Hopefully, the two can make the transition to their new spots in Jan/Feb while things are very quiet uptown.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2646  
Old Posted Jan 3, 2026, 11:30 PM
sailor734 sailor734 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingun View Post
Chicken By Felix's new spot is also opened up now (used to be the Wild Carrot). Hopefully, the two can make the transition to their new spots in Jan/Feb while things are very quiet uptown.

I understand the Greengrocer (formerly Pete's) will be expanding into the former Chicken by Felix spot. it will help make up for space they will lose when the center aisle disappears in the redesign. (I'm still very leery about this whole market redesign and the idea of a food court)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2647  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2026, 5:58 PM
Pugsley Pugsley is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 601
Happy New Year - For "Envision"

Happy New Year Everyone...as promised to Envision a few months back, here is the vision for "Harbourside", a new development district and plan idea for the waterfront similar to the Southport District I shared. This one is a bit more controversial, with the casino proposal and it being less about affordable housing, and more about creating a stellar and economically vibrant waterfront district.

Anyhow, Enjoy!





















Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2648  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2026, 7:05 PM
bingun bingun is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingun View Post
Chicken By Felix's new spot is also opened up now (used to be the Wild Carrot). Hopefully, the two can make the transition to their new spots in Jan/Feb while things are very quiet uptown.

They moved into the new unit already! Wasting no time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2649  
Old Posted Jan 6, 2026, 11:22 PM
EnvisionSaintJohn's Avatar
EnvisionSaintJohn EnvisionSaintJohn is online now
New Brunswick, Canada ⛵️
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Canada's first City 🍁🌊
Posts: 4,087


Nice one, Puglsey! (Especially the tunnel and water taxis )

Thanks for posting!
__________________
Peace and Athabasca and Coppermine and Slave, And Yukon and Mackenzie—the highroads of the brave. Saskatchewan, Assiniboine, the Bow and the Qu'Appelle, And many a prairie river whose name is like a spell. They rumor through the twilight at the edge of the unknown, "There's a message waiting for you, and a kingdom all your own. — Bliss Carman
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2650  
Old Posted Jan 22, 2026, 9:07 PM
CharlotteCountyLogan CharlotteCountyLogan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Posts: 226
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/1BzVZW7jQT/
Tops eatery on union street is closing February 8th
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2651  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2026, 6:31 PM
bingun bingun is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 1,287
Kim's Korean is now in their new spot as of this morning. Both major market moves are now complete, and we are just waiting for the Bagel Artist to finally show up. I noticed Chicken By Felix is still up for sale; they are asking for $109,000.

Also, MSK has signage up. See the post below from Pub Down Under, who are the owners of this new restaurant.

Quote:
MSK's development remains on track for a Spring 2026 opening. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2652  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2026, 2:36 PM
adamuptownsj adamuptownsj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Saint John NB
Posts: 2,053
Hate to share Reddit slop on here, but they and idiot councillor Joanna Killen are very upset Saint John might theoretically crack down on loitering and public defecation a little bit. Apparently this will harm public spaces. As any sensible person knows, tweakers, panhandlers, and human feces improve communities by osmosis.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2653  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2026, 3:32 PM
EnvisionSaintJohn's Avatar
EnvisionSaintJohn EnvisionSaintJohn is online now
New Brunswick, Canada ⛵️
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Location: Canada's first City 🍁🌊
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Hate to share Reddit slop on here, but they and idiot councillor Joanna Killen are very upset Saint John might theoretically crack down on loitering and public defecation a little bit. Apparently this will harm public spaces. As any sensible person knows, tweakers, panhandlers, and human feces improve communities by osmosis.
Hey, Bingun started that thread, so it’s hardly “Reddit slop”!

but hmm… not exactly surprising to hear her have a completely tone deaf take on this issue, especially now that’s she not running for council again.
__________________
Peace and Athabasca and Coppermine and Slave, And Yukon and Mackenzie—the highroads of the brave. Saskatchewan, Assiniboine, the Bow and the Qu'Appelle, And many a prairie river whose name is like a spell. They rumor through the twilight at the edge of the unknown, "There's a message waiting for you, and a kingdom all your own. — Bliss Carman
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2654  
Old Posted Jan 27, 2026, 5:35 PM
sailor734 sailor734 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Hate to share Reddit slop on here, but they and idiot councillor Joanna Killen are very upset Saint John might theoretically crack down on loitering and public defecation a little bit. Apparently this will harm public spaces. As any sensible person knows, tweakers, panhandlers, and human feces improve communities by osmosis.
Four more months and she is former councillor Joanna Killen.....can't happen soon enough!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2655  
Old Posted Jan 28, 2026, 11:55 PM
bingun bingun is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2024
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Hey, Bingun started that thread, so it’s hardly “Reddit slop”!

but hmm… not exactly surprising to hear her have a completely tone deaf take on this issue, especially now that’s she not running for council again.
Don't worry, I know most of the comments are mindless lol.

Here is a pic from Foodie SJ of Kim's space. I think they've done a good job, and I hope this helps their business.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2656  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2026, 12:36 AM
sailor734 sailor734 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 2,678
^ I think it will help with customer flow and managing the line at noon. It also looks like they've got more prep room. Nice to see them thrive.

I've heard Jeremiah's is looking at expanding into Kim's former space. I also heard that with the extra kitchen space Jeremiah's might be looking at expanding their menu to include more hot items. The Market could certainly use a good burger.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2657  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2026, 11:09 AM
gtsoc gtsoc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingun View Post

Here is a pic from Foodie SJ of Kim's space. I think they've done a good job, and I hope this helps their business.

This looks great! No more standing off to the side waiting for your order
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2658  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2026, 1:32 PM
adamuptownsj adamuptownsj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Saint John NB
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
^ I think it will help with customer flow and managing the line at noon. It also looks like they've got more prep room. Nice to see them thrive.

I've heard Jeremiah's is looking at expanding into Kim's former space. I also heard that with the extra kitchen space Jeremiah's might be looking at expanding their menu to include more hot items. The Market could certainly use a good burger.
I have also heard this.

I also heard that Moosehead was kicking around the idea of taking the Uncorked space over and tweaking it to allow longer hours. Would be great from a tourist exposure perspective.

Re: Kim's, I hope they expand their menu a bit once settled in.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2659  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2026, 2:18 PM
sailor734 sailor734 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I have also heard this.

I also heard that Moosehead was kicking around the idea of taking the Uncorked space over and tweaking it to allow longer hours. Would be great from a tourist exposure perspective.

Re: Kim's, I hope they expand their menu a bit once settled in.
I'd been told by a market tenant some months ago that Moosehead people had been in looking at the Uncorked space a couple of times but that was last spring so.........

I've talked to Maggie and Loretta at Jeremiah's a couple of times, urging them to recreate at least some of the Slocum and Ferris menu (especially the Market Burger and Saturday Blueberry Pancakes )
They did say they were interested in perhaps adding some hot items to the menu but would need more prep/kitchen space.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2660  
Old Posted Jan 29, 2026, 6:15 PM
adamuptownsj adamuptownsj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Saint John NB
Posts: 2,053
Speaking of the city market, there's construction underway at the former Infusion Tea Room site. I miss that place. Great soups.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.