HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure


 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2025, 5:40 PM
Dartguard Dartguard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I've been to all of those cities within the past 10 years. And in case you didn't catch it, I've said that cycling infrastructure is necessary and important, and should be built.



Is covid-era data reliable, though? I'm not challenging your assertion, but I am wondering how many people were avoiding the face to face contact of transit due to the pandemic, and choosing option #2. Plus, how did WFH affect commute data?

Also, if we assume that "double-digit percentage" is a plateau for larger cities with arguably worse potential traffic issues than Halifax (and since we are saying double-digit and not a number I have to assume it's low teens), then it's still not enough to take a substantial bite out of traffic. Again, I agree that there should be bike infrastructure (for scooters and those little slow electric mini-bikes that I see around), but shopping it as a solution becomes tiresome, especially considering the weather that we have this time of year.

Your enthusiasm is admirable, BTW.



This is the point, ultimately. If we really want to reduce car traffic, good transit has the best chance of luring people out of their cars (you'll note I used the word luring and not forcing). Though, to be completely transparent, as much as I am beating the drum for transit, seeing the crime and violence that has happened on TTC transit in recent years does give me pause. Maybe traffic isn't so bad after all.
A lot of the TTC crime wave is almost directly attributable to the catch and release, hug a thug policies of Mr Trudeau's former administration. Carney is attempting to tighten those up but Mr "— up Immigration" Sean Fraser has the file now so....
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:03 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.