Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad
|
I saw this video on social media the other day I'm not sure it's very accurate, but the video claims it's often cheaper to fly to Europe from Halifax, than it is to fly to many other Canadian cities.
• Video Link
I don't think it's really
often cheaper to fly to London than Toronto or Montreal, but I could see it being cheaper sometimes.
New Brunswick needs to step up and find ways to get a few transatlantic flights, starting with with a flight between France and Moncton, then looking at the possibilities for Fredericton and Saint John. If it takes government subsidizing flights, so be it.
I think the province would be better off subsidizing some some key, international routes for the purpose of boosting international tourism, and in turn spend less on marketing and advertizing campaigns.
If the province and feds could step up with some subsidies to get NB some transatlantic routes, or the return of flights to the US Northeast, more of the onus and cost could be shifted onto the private tourism industry to effectively market NB as a tourist destination... and they'd probably end up doing a better job than Tourism NB has done anyways.
If the NB government spent more on flights and transportation infrastructure, Tourism NB could focus primarily on promoting our parks and facilitating transportation links
to the province and
within the province, leaving most of the expenses of marketing and advertising to the private sector.
NB and the maritimes as a whole have woeful transportation links within and between provinces. All of Atlantic Canada is way too car centric, and that ultimately hurts our for tourism, let alone the expense of flights, and lack of flights. (other than Halifax)
If there's any truth to the claim in the video that Halifax can offer lower cost transatlantic flights on narrow body aircraft, then the same could apply to Moncton, and maybe eventually Fredericton, and Saint John.
Paris is often pitched as the transatlantic flight which makes the most sense for Moncton, and it probably is, (especially when taking into account connections and Francophone immigration), but I wonder if any other airports in France would be more eager than Paris CDG to get the first direct route between France and "Acadie"?