HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6261  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 6:00 AM
TonyTone's Avatar
TonyTone TonyTone is offline
Creative Ambitions
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Philly - Souf
Posts: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
There is no restaurant in Philly that comes close to a 3 star. Not a slight on Philly at all. LA doesn't even have any 3 star spots.

I think we'll struggle to get 2 stars. A lot of it is about service vs just the food. We don't have a ton of super high end service places. So maybe Vetri will get 2. Maybe Royal Sushi. Maybe the new Provenance... haven't been there yet.

I think we'll get a good amount of Bib Gourmands and "Selected Restaurants"

I think if we get more than like a dozen 1 stars that would be great.
I think we could have some contenders for three stars, one of them being Lochbar which ive heard stellar reviews about, the other could be DEVON in Rittenhouse square, solid service and food.

I do agree with you though, high end is more than price and food, the quality and thoughtfulness of the resturant and service is what makes it.
__________________
Promoting Cities since 1998! | Philadelphia Photo Thread | Wilmington Photo Thread | Atlanta Photo Thread | X
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6262  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 12:11 PM
Arch+Eng's Avatar
Arch+Eng Arch+Eng is offline
Arch. Engineer+Developer
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: PHL
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
There is no restaurant in Philly that comes close to a 3 star. Not a slight on Philly at all. LA doesn't even have any 3 star spots.

I think we'll struggle to get 2 stars. A lot of it is about service vs just the food. We don't have a ton of super high end service places. So maybe Vetri will get 2. Maybe Royal Sushi. Maybe the new Provenance... haven't been there yet.

I think we'll get a good amount of Bib Gourmands and "Selected Restaurants"

I think if we get more than like a dozen 1 stars that would be great.
Jean-Georges?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6263  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 1:20 PM
BroadandMarket BroadandMarket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I think we could have some contenders for three stars, one of them being Lochbar which ive heard stellar reviews about, the other could be DEVON in Rittenhouse square, solid service and food.

I do agree with you though, high end is more than price and food, the quality and thoughtfulness of the resturant and service is what makes it.
Devon closed and wasn't worthy of 1 star let alone 3. Loch Bar is a chain, it's nowhere close to 3 stars.

Friday Saturday Sunday, Kalaya, Provenance, Vetri, JG, Zahav, Royal Izakaya, Morimoto, Vernick, Ambra, Little Fish, Borromini etc. Those are the heavy hitters.

Those are the type of places that are star worthy and maybe 2. I don't think Philly will have any 3 star spots.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6264  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 1:26 PM
bdurk bdurk is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Philly
Posts: 369
Apparently they did a Michelin guide for Austin somewhat recently and gave out a few stars to some BBQ trucks and small places like that. I wouldn't be shocked if some of our cheesesteak spots like Angelo's or JRP get a star or I guess are a part of the guide. I don't know how I feel about this to be honest, I hope it doesn't make the places that receive the stars out of reach for normal people. I want to try Royal Sushi someday
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6265  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 1:40 PM
PHLtoNYC PHLtoNYC is online now
Chris
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Devon closed and wasn't worthy of 1 star let alone 3. Loch Bar is a chain, it's nowhere close to 3 stars.

Friday Saturday Sunday, Kalaya, Provenance, Vetri, JG, Zahav, Royal Izakaya, Morimoto, Vernick, Ambra, Little Fish, Borromini etc. Those are the heavy hitters.

Those are the type of places that are star worthy and maybe 2. I don't think Philly will have any 3 star spots.
Good list, and perhaps My Loup and Her Place Supper Club? There is also Michelin Bib Gourmand, which opens the door to many places.

I don't mean to sound shady, but lol if someone thinks Devon was worthy of 3 stars. Loch Bar is very nice, but similar to a Capital Grille (seafood focused)... Not a James Beard or Michelin type restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdurk View Post
Apparently they did a Michelin guide for Austin somewhat recently and gave out a few stars to some BBQ trucks and small places like that. I wouldn't be shocked if some of our cheesesteak spots like Angelo's or JRP get a star or I guess are a part of the guide. I don't know how I feel about this to be honest, I hope it doesn't make the places that receive the stars out of reach for normal people. I want to try Royal Sushi someday
Don't fall into the typical Philly attitude hole, lol. It adds deserved recognition to the culinary scene and another boost to tourism, and it's not going to turn Philadelphia into New York (I've seen ridiculous comments on social media suggest that). Plus Philadelphia does well with James Beard, this is another layer. Chicago has a Michelin guide and remains accessible, I predict the same here.

To your point about Austin, the Bib Gourmand guide features more affordable / casual eats, so not all Friday, Saturday, Sunday type places.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; May 13, 2025 at 1:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6266  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 2:40 PM
BroadandMarket BroadandMarket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Don't fall into the typical Philly attitude hole, lol. It adds deserved recognition to the culinary scene and another boost to tourism, and it's not going to turn Philadelphia into New York (I've seen ridiculous comments on social media suggest that). Plus Philadelphia does well with James Beard, this is another layer. Chicago has a Michelin guide and remains accessible, I predict the same here.
Yeah it's a negadelphian attitude to reject Michelin recognition. It helps, restaurants, hotels, shops, tourism and our whole economy. We'd be a lot better off as a whole if we had more tourists (sigh Market East is a dump). NYC can support so many businesses because a Tuesday night is no different than a Saturday night with that many tourists in town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6267  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 3:19 PM
tsarstruck tsarstruck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Kid View Post
Homicides are at 69 YTD, down 25% YoY. Thats the best data I’ve seen in a while, and last year was the lowest annual homicide rate in over a decade. Pretty promising.
This drop in homicides is not getting nearly enough attention. Homicides are down to levels we haven't seen in decades. 10% below the low-water mark of the Nutter years. And while I'm sure the PPD deserve credit, this is part of a somewhat mysterious nation-wide trend with Baltimore and New Orleans also with far fewer homicides than they've seen in decades.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6268  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 3:28 PM
DeltaNerd DeltaNerd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Yeah it's a negadelphian attitude to reject Michelin recognition. It helps, restaurants, hotels, shops, tourism and our whole economy. We'd be a lot better off as a whole if we had more tourists (sigh Market East is a dump). NYC can support so many businesses because a Tuesday night is no different than a Saturday night with that many tourists in town.
The people commenting on the Michelin guide is silly. I bet those people don't eat at Fine dinning. Which is fine but it's not about them, its about the restaurants and the city.
Me personally I love fine dinning and gives me more reasons to eat fancy whenever I want.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6269  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 3:32 PM
PurpleWhiteOut PurpleWhiteOut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 1,082
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate/com...elphia-parking-lot-alterra-20250513.html

Passyunk and Bainbridge apartment building is back on with Alterra taking over

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6270  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 3:41 PM
Raja Raja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate/com...elphia-parking-lot-alterra-20250513.html

Passyunk and Bainbridge apartment building is back on with Alterra taking over

Oh thank god. I've been saying for years now that the path forward for South Street has to start with more residential and not just a revolving door of commercial. This is exactly what that corner needs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6271  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 4:00 PM
BroadandMarket BroadandMarket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 569
Oh wow that's PERFECT. I hate this lot so much, especially since a few nice rowhomes were demolished for the last iteration. The retail could definitely support some type of small grocery store/deli. Something like Palm Tree or Guavaberry.



Bainbridge green should also be made into a real park. If this was London or Paris, the whole south side of the road could be turned into a park. It's not, so we still need to cater to cars. The diagonal parking on the south side should be turned into normal parallel parking and the north side of the street could be much narrower. It almost fits 2 lanes as is. I think that could easily buy you 20 feet and widen the whole park.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6272  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 4:41 PM
nemesisinphilly nemesisinphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 251
Once the Michelin Stars are here a for a few years it's not really going to be a big deal. The hype will die down.

The guide currently has two other titles other than stars. Bib Gourmand which is usually a more casual lower priced restaurant. I can see something like the new Royal Tavern getting a Bib Gourmand.

Then there's "Selected Restaurants" which are restaurants of note that are not quite to the level of 1 star. I think lots of places in Philly will get this. Something like Parc and Laser Wolf are likely to fall into this category as in NYC Pastis and the Brooklyn Laser Wolf are "Selected Restaurants"

I've been to a handful 3 star, a few 2 star, and lots of 1 star etc places. IMO nothing in Philly comes close to a 3 star at this point. There are only 14 three star place in the entire USA. Like the French Laundry, Le Bernardin, Alinea, etc. Nothing at that level of food and most importantly service in Philly.

2 Stars I think are also a stretch but not unrealistic for something like Vetri, maybe JG(NYC one has 2 stars) I haven't been to Provenance yet. Michelin loves Japanese food so Royal Sushi may get 2 but more likely 1.

I think overall we'll get a lot of recognition in 1 Star/Bib/Selected but doubtful on the higher levels.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6273  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 4:52 PM
jaysb jaysb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: S.Hill
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Oh wow that's PERFECT. I hate this lot so much, especially since a few nice rowhomes were demolished for the last iteration. The retail could definitely support some type of small grocery store/deli. Something like Palm Tree or Guavaberry.



Bainbridge green should also be made into a real park. If this was London or Paris, the whole south side of the road could be turned into a park. It's not, so we still need to cater to cars. The diagonal parking on the south side should be turned into normal parallel parking and the north side of the street could be much narrower. It almost fits 2 lanes as is. I think that could easily buy you 20 feet and widen the whole park.
Bainbridge is a mess. 100 % agree they need to wipe out one of those lanes and improve/expand the 'park' there. I swear I saw something about that 2-3 years ago but nothing since.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6274  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 5:44 PM
TonyTone's Avatar
TonyTone TonyTone is offline
Creative Ambitions
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Philly - Souf
Posts: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Devon closed and wasn't worthy of 1 star let alone 3. Loch Bar is a chain, it's nowhere close to 3 stars.

Friday Saturday Sunday, Kalaya, Provenance, Vetri, JG, Zahav, Royal Izakaya, Morimoto, Vernick, Ambra, Little Fish, Borromini etc. Those are the heavy hitters.

Those are the type of places that are star worthy and maybe 2. I don't think Philly will have any 3 star spots.
Thank you now I have some new places to go to.
__________________
Promoting Cities since 1998! | Philadelphia Photo Thread | Wilmington Photo Thread | Atlanta Photo Thread | X
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6275  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 5:53 PM
BroadandMarket BroadandMarket is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 569
Sadly any new plans will probably have the same fate as Headhouse square where cars and parking come first. This is where community input is just awful. Bainbridge around there is really weird, you drive on the wrong side of the road for 2 blocks.

old renderings:


The green space used to be wider until cars took over (omg that trash haha)


https://www.phillyvoice.com/can-south-philly-street-be-citys-next-great-green-space/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6276  
Old Posted May 13, 2025, 7:39 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fitler Square (via London)
Posts: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Devon closed and wasn't worthy of 1 star let alone 3. Loch Bar is a chain, it's nowhere close to 3 stars.

Friday Saturday Sunday, Kalaya, Provenance, Vetri, JG, Zahav, Royal Izakaya, Morimoto, Vernick, Ambra, Little Fish, Borromini etc. Those are the heavy hitters.

Those are the type of places that are star worthy and maybe 2. I don't think Philly will have any 3 star spots.
Laurel, Vernick Fish, maybe Fork, Suraya, Palizzi SC, Her Place SC, My Loup, maybe Townsend

Last edited by Londonee; May 13, 2025 at 7:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6277  
Old Posted May 14, 2025, 3:50 AM
Raja Raja is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Laurel, Vernick Fish, maybe Fork, Suraya, Palizzi SC, Her Place SC, My Loup, maybe Townsend
Maybe also Forsythia or Lacroix. Or Hiroki, or Mawn. If they go out to the burbs, maybe they add Talula's Table.

Last edited by Raja; May 14, 2025 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6278  
Old Posted May 14, 2025, 2:10 PM
PhillyDreamsReturns PhillyDreamsReturns is offline
User Since 2002
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 62
I've been to over 100 Michelin star restaurants worldwide, is a hobby of mine. Her Place SC is a 3 star IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6279  
Old Posted May 14, 2025, 2:12 PM
DeltaNerd DeltaNerd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 344
I'm try to think of places that would be bib gourmand.
So Mawn, El Chingon, JiangNan as a start.

I'm sure there are tons of restaurants that would qualify for bib gourmand in this city
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6280  
Old Posted May 14, 2025, 2:29 PM
3rd&Brown 3rd&Brown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Would be good to beat out DC and Boston.
If we don't, it will underscore what I've always thought...that Michelin is worthless.

Philly is a far superior food city to both of these places. And it's not even close. Boston lmfao.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:06 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.