Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut
I always think it's strange how they get cheaper the closer they are to the top, when that's often the most visible part. On old school high and mid rises, the more bland parts are often the middle floors with more ornament toward the top and the bottom which makes more sense to me
|
I've seen projects like this presented before. The developers and lawyers almost always to speak to this as if it's a positive.
Aside from saving money (which I think is the real reason), they do it to make the building look like it is "stepping back" to look less visually big. It's an effective talking point for NIMBYs who are super sensitive to height. It is also misguided. Afterall, the building is still as big as it is, period, no matter what materials you use, with all of the pros and cons of being that big (light, air, parking, blah blah blah). As such, design the entire building and lean into it.