HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #62621  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2025, 6:10 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,034
.
We have a mystery location to solve!

I happened upon this color slide earlier today on eBay

Seller's description:.."Los Angeles Firefighters Band Fire Truck Billboard Hawaii 35mm Slide 1960s"


eBay

That's a great old-timey band and firetruck. .but I'm mostly curious about the 'wavy' blade sign that says 'The Office'. I'll wager a guess and say that it's a bar. (hence the 'waviness' of the sign)


Let's take a closer look.



Have we seen 'The Office' on NLA? If we have, I don't recall it.

Soooo. . if we find 'The Office' we find the location!


Go forth slaves loyal noirishers!
.
     
     
  #62622  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2025, 6:39 AM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,724


The Office was a cocktail bar at 1640 Vine Street with Washington Savings at 1642. Both appear in the 1960 CD.
     
     
  #62623  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2025, 1:11 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,034
Thanks, Hoss. You were quick!

I thought I might be able to track down matchbook from 'The Office' so I checked eBay. Nope, nothing there. . .

. .but I did find this interesting cocktail bar (no doubt a comedy club) on Vine St.


It's possiible we've already seen it on NLA . .but I don't recall it.


Here it is!








It appears to have been a chain of sorts.



hmmm. . no New York City location. That seems somewhat odd...*scratches head*
.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 22, 2025 at 2:31 PM.
     
     
  #62624  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2025, 1:29 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,724


It looks like The Office was a gay bar. It's listed in the ONE Archives as documented from 1968 to 1973, and a 1965 International Guild Guide (PDF). The 1960 CD obviously pre-dates both of these, but it may not have always been a gay bar.
     
     
  #62625  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2025, 2:18 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,034
.
The plot thickens. I love it.

Excellent research, Hoss.
     
     
  #62626  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2025, 3:27 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,724


It's a great name for an excuse - "Sorry, I've got to stay late at The Office."
     
     
  #62627  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2025, 4:46 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725




Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
Magazine kiosk in Fifties in front of Oviatt Building on Olive was where an old timer saw his first copies of Mattachine Society "One Magazine"
     
     
  #62628  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2025, 5:21 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
[...]
. .but I did find this interesting cocktail bar (no doubt a comedy club) on Vine St.

It's possiible we've already seen it on NLA . .but I don't recall it.
Here it is!


[...]
..*scratches head*
.
_______________________________________________________________


The Jester Room was in the Villa Elaine Apartment building, across the street from the Hollywood Ranch Market.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here is a vintage photo of the Elaine Apartments on Vine St.


usc digital archive

I would give anything to see the interior of the Jester Room.
I'm willing to bet John Hamilton stopped in for a drink now and then.

Orson Welles and Man Ray also lived in the Elaine Apartments. If walls could talk!
__________________________________________________________________

Villa Elaine 2023.


From HMDB-Historical Marker Database LINK.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Apr 22, 2025 at 5:53 PM.
     
     
  #62629  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2025, 6:05 PM
Snix Snix is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 222
I saw this beautiful evening photo labeled as the "Ramo-Wooldridge corporation's research and development center, located just south of Los Angeles International Airport, 1900"

CALIFORNIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY COLLECTION/USC

Ramo-Wooldridge built a new headquarters at 5730 Arbor Vitae Street (at Bellanca) in 1955. It was designed by Chinese American architect Eugene Kinn Choy and it looks different from this evening photo in real life and in the rendering. Besides the date, is the photo mislabeled?

LAT 7.18.54

GSV 2015 (since demolished)




Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just found this.


RAMO-WOOLDRIDGE CORPORATION, 1956.


Calisphere


"Aerial view of the Ramo-Wooldridge Corp., located at 401-409 E. Manchester Boulevard* (horizontally, at forefront) in the city of Inglewood; view is undetermined. When WDD (Western Development Division) was established on July 1, 1954, it set up temporary headquarters in a former parochial school and parish church. In early 1955, WDD moved to El Segundo and housed Air Force and civil service personnel, along with personnel for The Ramo-Wooldridge Corporation, which supported WDD's missile programs. Photographed for Albert C. Martin & Associates (the architects and engineers for this project) on October 2, 1956."

I think this is mislabeled....because *401 -409 E. Manchester Boulevard was the address of the parochial school and parish house.


THIS BIT OF INFORMATION WAS ALSO INCLUDED with this PHOTOGRAPH.

"The Ramo-Wooldridge Corporation's Guided Missile Research Division was renamed Space Technology Laboratories in 1957,
just before it moved into the R&D Center. Ramo-Wooldridge became Thompston-Ramo-Wooldridge (TRW) in 1958."

_____



TRW = Thompson-Ramo-Wooldrige. Interesting. Am I the only one that didn't know this?
     
     
  #62630  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2025, 5:27 PM
AlvaroLegido's Avatar
AlvaroLegido AlvaroLegido is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Paris
Posts: 311
Home Town Papers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinTurnbull View Post
I posted this image on my social media today and someone replied with this:

Looks like this could be the alley between Hill and Olive, running parallel and just south of 6th. Photo would have been from the Hill Street side, facing west. Some of the building and street details seem to match up.

Also, I believe "Home Town Papers" may have been signage for the Universal News Agency. See https://www.instagram.com/beforethe101/p/DCnKPhCyWPH/

He looks to be about right.
There is a cool "Home Town Papers" news-stand on Hollywood Boulevard at the start of "Nightfall" (before the movie credits). The noirish movie with Aldo Ray, Anne Bancroft and Brian Keith (1956). Aldo Ray is looking for Evanston but "there's no call for Evanston", says the Newsboy.
It is on YouTube.
__________________
AlvaroLegido

Last edited by AlvaroLegido; Apr 23, 2025 at 6:42 PM.
     
     
  #62631  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2025, 8:30 PM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post

There is a cool "Home Town Papers" news-stand on Hollywood Boulevard at the start of "Nightfall" (before the movie credits). The noirish movie with Aldo Ray, Anne Bancroft and Brian Keith (1956). Aldo Ray is looking for Evanston but "there's no call for Evanston", says the Newsboy.
It is on YouTube.
Here's the movie if anyone wants to check it out:

• Video Link


The establishing shots show Hollywood Boulevard, including a daylight view of The Pantages, but despite the street sign outside the bar, I think the news-stand could've been a backlot. There's a kink in the road just beyond the news-stand which seems typical of a set where they don't want to show streets disappearing into the distance.
     
     
  #62632  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2025, 8:41 PM
always_lookin always_lookin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2025
Posts: 10
Don't know about the date, but the buildings were completed in 1957, so some time after that…

This was indeed Ramo-Wooldridge's Research and Development Center in El Segundo, located on the southeast corner of Aviation and El Segundo. As you note, RW spun off their Guided Missile Division into a new entity called Space Technology Laboratories (STL). Shortly afterwards, Thompson Products and Ramo-Wooldridge Corporation merged to become TRW. TRW then created a non-profit (!), the Aerospace Corporation. RW's R&D El Segundo campus became part of Aerospace Corporation.

Architects were Albert C. Martin & Associates, who also later did work at nearby Space Park for TRW, and, of course, the LA DWP headquarters. (I'd like to know who the photographer was on your photo!)

Here's a snapshot from Aerospace's website:

https://aerospace.org/timeline#event-origins

In the foreground right, you can see the same large paned windows, which apparently showcased the staircases.


Here's another photo posted on Facebook by Mike Stracko:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/357037731222/posts/10160031921901223/

This shows the Aerospace campus in 1965, looking south.


The buildings were demolished in 2006, and the area is now home to a large housing development - Three Sixty at South Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post
I saw this beautiful evening photo labeled as the "Ramo-Wooldridge corporation's research and development center, located just south of Los Angeles International Airport, 1900"

CALIFORNIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY COLLECTION/USC

Ramo-Wooldridge built a new headquarters at 5730 Arbor Vitae Street (at Bellanca) in 1955. It was designed by Chinese American architect Eugene Kinn Choy and it looks different from this evening photo in real life and in the rendering. Besides the date, is the photo mislabeled?

LAT 7.18.54

GSV 2015 (since demolished)
     
     
  #62633  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2025, 9:06 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,034
.
Excellent information Snix and always lookin. Thanks for the posts.

.
     
     
  #62634  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2025, 9:56 PM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's the movie if anyone wants to check it out:

• Video Link


The establishing shots show Hollywood Boulevard, including a daylight view of The Pantages, but despite the street sign outside the bar, I think the news-stand could've been a backlot. There's a kink in the road just beyond the news-stand which seems typical of a set where they don't want to show streets disappearing into the distance.
I was thinking the same thing.
     
     
  #62635  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2025, 10:06 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,034
.
I happened upon this amazing framed photograph earlier today on eBay



I'VE NEVER SEEN SO MANY SHRINERS IN A SINGLE PLACE!


eBay

Luckily they drive those little cars or there wouldn't have been enough places to park.





Here's a closer look at the placard for the hard of seeing.





This guy looks like he's right out of Central Casting.










Lucy looks like she's put on a few pounds. (not that there's anything wrong with that)... Dezi must have been eating with the band.


Oh, and one more thing...For a brief half hour second I thought the label might incorrect because in the upper left hand corner there's a large statue on a pedestal that looks just like similar to the statues
at the Earl Carroll Theatre. 6230 Sunset


Here's a better look at it. (refer back to the top picture..It's there)

I don't remember seeing it before. (I probably just forgot about it).. Does anyone have a good photograph of the interior of the Hollywood Palladium that shows this particular statue?


.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 23, 2025 at 10:33 PM.
     
     
  #62636  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2025, 10:43 PM
riichkay riichkay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 402


David Bowie leaving Cherokee Recording Studios, 751 N. Fairfax, in 1975....the photographer, Brad Elterman, tells the tale....


"Back in 1975 I wanted to take photos of David Bowie while he was in L.A. and I was turned down by the publicist. Bowie was such a provocative figure back then and every move he made was controlled by his management and PR. That was really something back then, because there was very little control between the media and the talent back then. I got word that he was recording at Cherokee Studio on Fairfax and I thought to myself that it would be fun to try and make a photo of him as he left the studio.

I waited all night for him and around 6:00 am he emerged with producer Paul Buckmaster holding the tapes for (the Nicolas Roeg film starring Bowie) "The Man Who Fell To Earth". He left in an unwashed Mercedes and that photograph made a full page in Creem magazine’s section “Stars In Their Cars”. I was a bit concerned if my first paparazzi gig would ruin me in the industry, but I was all of about 19 back then and all of the PR adored me and got a great laugh out of it."


The photos are claimed to be from December of that year, if that is the case Mr. Elterman would be off on the time of day....December sunrise is around 6:50 to 7:00, I would guess the photo to be about 7:30.

Bowie was going through the "blue eyed soul" phase of his career (he called it "plastic soul") when he recorded in Los Angeles....he arrived in the city March '74 and was here about a year....the Cherokee sessions produced the "Station to Station" LP, which spawned a top 10 hit with "Golden Years"....by his own admission Bowie was consuming copious amounts of cocaine in his time here, perhaps the drug use colored his view of the city, which was decidedly negative (really comically so...)

"It’s the most vile piss-pot in the world.....It’s a movie that is so corrupt with a script that is so devious and insidious. It's the scariest movie ever written. You feel a total victim there, and you know someone’s got the strings on you."

"The f-ing place should be wiped off the face of the earth. To be anything to do with rock and roll and to go and live in Los Angeles is I think just heading for disaster. It really is. Even (English musician and songwriter) Brian Eno, who’s so adaptable and quite as versatile as I am now living in strange and foreign environments, he couldn’t last there more than six weeks. He had to get out. But he was very clever. He got out much earlier than I did."







     
     
  #62637  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2025, 2:45 AM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
perhaps the drug use colored (Bowie's) view of the city, which was decidedly negative (really comically so...)

"It’s the most vile piss-pot in the world.....The f-ing place should be wiped off the face of the earth."
David Bowie is my all-time favorite rock star, going all the way back to 1971, when I was five years old and bought my first Bowie single, Changes.

I have all his records, rare and unreleased recordings, have read multiple books about him, and even got to hang out with him once for about 30 minutes.

To provide a little context, Bowie was positively NUTS on the cocaine while in Los Angeles. He abused it so much he claims he weighed only 80 pounds at the time - this for a guy who was 5'10".

Bowie lived at 637 North Doheny. While living there, his diet consisted solely of bell peppers and milk. He was staying up for 3 or 4 days at a time, always on a cocaine binge. He was also storing all of his urine, in large jugs, in his refrigerator - this to prevent witches from using it to take control of his mind. He also claimed that witches had stolen his s#men, and reported that he could see dead bodies falling outside his window.

When Bowie finally returned to Europe in 1976, he gave interviews in which he spoke fondly of Hitler and fascism, and even had his own “Elon Musk moment” when he was widely criticized for allegedly giving the Nazi salute when he returned to Victoria Station in London:



Suffice it to say, Bowie was a very unwell person mentally at the time. He was definitely not in his right mind.

As such, I wouldn't take what he said about LA too seriously. I'd be pretty sour on a city if every time I looked out my window there I saw corpses falling by.

“Cocaine's a helluva drug” - Rick James

Last edited by Scott Charles; Apr 24, 2025 at 4:40 AM.
     
     
  #62638  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2025, 1:37 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,034
.
I am certain we have seen the Wilshire Central Building on NLA but not this OOAK (One Of A Kind) snapshot that is currently on eBay



eBay




Here's a closer look.



I don't have the address on hand so I thought someone might help me out.

It's still standing, right?



I'd like to know if it still says 'Wilshire Central Building' within the arched entryway. (the street number appears to be there as well but I can't make it out)


detail



I would also like help deciphering the large blade sign on the (right) end of the building.


detail




Lastly, I'd like to find some information on Simeon's.


detail

Just for the fun of it.

Oh, I almost forgot.

AND I'd like to know if the extremely TALL Palm Tree is still there. If it is, I can't even imagine how tall it would be now!

.
     
     
  #62639  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2025, 1:59 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,034
.
LOL . I used the search function to see if we've seen this photograph of a JaBbErWoCky Store on NLA (we haven't) and found post after post where I used the word 'Jabberwocky over and over again! It was kind of embarrassing.

Anyway, here's the photograph & it's a mystery location!



ethereal_reality br file

My 1st guess is Sunset Blvd. . . my 2nd guess is Melrose Ave.


I don't dare look up the word 'discombobulated'.

.
     
     
  #62640  
Old Posted Apr 24, 2025, 4:18 PM
Yabb Yabb is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Uabo6nHROYbGlTqL0UiTpOp1pfSATvFL/view

This is from the Tustin News, April 17 1986. Looking through old newspaper references, every reference is to this store in Tustin. No references to anywhere in LA County
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:05 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.