HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #62601  
Old Posted Apr 17, 2025, 8:12 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,055
oops

something coming soon.
     
     
  #62602  
Old Posted Apr 18, 2025, 3:48 PM
Martin Pal Martin Pal is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,725
Re: The Anarchist Punkzine people...
Wonder how they feel about things now?
     
     
  #62603  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 3:41 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,055
.
Tonight we have a mystery 'vantage point' slide dated 1984.


eBay

Hmmm. . .any idea what building is under construction?



Oh, I almost forgot my "closer looks".


detail

I spy a rather noirish looking place, the Finkle Arms Apartments.






The building in this next detail looks exceptionally skinny - unless it's an optical illusion.



As you can see - or can't see- the last letter in the name of the company isn't visible. ... My guess is. . .drumroll . .N. *grabs N out of thin air*


Help me out here, noirishers!


.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 20, 2025 at 12:35 PM.
     
     
  #62604  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 4:00 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,055
.
Here's a mystery phptograph currently on eBay


eBay

I'm especially curious about the radio tower...Why is it in that particular location instead of. .say. . .on top of a taller building.


For anyone who's curious, Oakwood Ave. runs east and west between Melrose Ave. and Beverly Blvd.
.
     
     
  #62605  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 4:28 AM
odinthor's Avatar
odinthor odinthor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,654


e_r: In re: the Finkle Arms:


LA Times, 12/8/1912


LA Times, 12/8/1912


LA Times, 8/8/1971
     
     
  #62606  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 6:31 AM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 712
A few pages back, I posted a photo of when my mom worked for the all-black newspaper, the Los Angeles Tribune.

I was going through these photos earlier today, when I noticed the sign in the background of this photo:



My mom is the one wearing the dark colored trunks. Here's a closer look at the sign:



The rather distinctive-looking sign appears to say CARL'S.

Does anyone know where this photo was taken? The time period would have been between approximately 1943-ish and 1947-ish. And of course, it would have had to have been a segregated beach for minorities.
     
     
  #62607  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 8:58 AM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,729


Carl's "Sea Air" Lodge and Restaurant was at 15145 Pacific Coast Highway. There are several previous mentions on NLA including this 2020 post by Noir_Noir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

Carl's in a picture dated 1935.


smpl.org
There's another good image on Martin Turnbull's site.

tovangar2 posted aerial shots here and I posted some close-ups here.

Also check out Flyingwedge's post which shows the Lighthouse Restaurant across the road.
     
     
  #62608  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 9:17 AM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
.
Here's a mystery phptograph currently on eBay


eBay

I'm especially curious about the radio tower...Why is it in that particular location instead of. .say. . .on top of a taller building.

For anyone who's curious, Oakwood Ave. runs east and west between Melrose Ave. and Beverly Blvd.
The tall building in the background is the 1929 Dover Apartments at 4649 W Beverly Boulevard/300 St Andrews Place. There's some great info in a PDF document here. However, the radio tower appears to be between our viewpoint and the apartments.

Amusingly, the site of the Western & Oakwood Poultry Market on the corner of Western and Oakwood is now a KFC!
     
     
  #62609  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 11:03 AM
HossC's Avatar
HossC HossC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

And any idea what building is under construction.

Oh, I almost forgot my "closer looks".


detail
It's the 888 Tower at 888 S Figueroa Street which opened in 1985. This and the Finkle Arms share an intersection with the recently closed Original Pantry Cafe about which Scott Charles posted last month - see here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

The building in this next detail looks exceptionally skinny - unless it's an optical illusion.



As you can see - or can't see- the last letter in the name of the company isn't visible. ... My guess is. . .drumroll . .N. *grabs N out of thin air*
It's an optical illusion - the building is 845 S Figueroa and is now The State Bar of California. The 1973 CD lists the occupants as IBM Corp and Powell Morgridge Richards & Coghlan, while in the 1987 CD the only listed occupant is the Federal Employees West Federal Credit Union. I did, however, find an undated reference to 845 S Figueroa being called the Linder Building.
     
     
  #62610  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 12:39 PM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,055
.
R was my second choice.

.
     
     
  #62611  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 12:58 PM
Godzilla Godzilla is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post


e_r: In re: the Finkle Arms:


LA Times, 12/8/1912

Previous NLA coverage of this building, much of which has disappeared.





Hotel Snow bears another name. (See top right)








And then there is the Finkle "Building" 316 S Spring Street (circa 1920)


DWP; Google
     
     
  #62612  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 2:46 PM
BDiH BDiH is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 288
I recognized Carl's right away in the photo. We used to stop there on our way up the coast in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Far as I recall, there were no segregated beaches in that area. Everyone was welcome around Santa Monica back in the day.
     
     
  #62613  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 5:05 PM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post


Carl's "Sea Air" Lodge and Restaurant was at 15145 Pacific Coast Highway. There are several previous mentions on NLA including this 2020 post by Noir_Noir.

There's another good image on Martin Turnbull's site.

tovangar2 posted aerial shots here and I posted some close-ups here.

Also check out Flyingwedge's post which shows the Lighthouse Restaurant across the road.
Many thanks, HossC! It may be silly, but it's a great joy for me to finally discover which beach my mom was visiting those many years ago!

I even noted that in both the Julius Shulman photo you posted and the photo of my mother, you can see the exact same distinctive growth of trees in the background. I assume the two photos must have been taken at roughly the same period of time:


Getty Research Institute

I believe I can also confirm the exact location of Carl's that was proposed by tovangar2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

Today (I think, but I may still be lost):

pinterest, Apple Maps

And lastly, if you stand where my mother's photos were taken, but turn left a bit to face the hills directly, you see this:



... and if you look at the same spot on Google Maps, you see this:



Seems conclusive enough for me!


Last edited by Scott Charles; Apr 20, 2025 at 5:18 PM.
     
     
  #62614  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 5:07 PM
Scott Charles's Avatar
Scott Charles Scott Charles is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
I recognized Carl's right away in the photo. We used to stop there on our way up the coast in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Far as I recall, there were no segregated beaches in that area. Everyone was welcome around Santa Monica back in the day.
Yes, this was a mistake on my part, BDiH - while researching these old beach photos of my mom, I came across an article that said “until about 1960 — L.A.’s beaches were segregated”.

But then last night I came across the quote “racial restrictions on beach access were lifted in 1927” on waterandpower.org, which would appear to be more accurate.
     
     
  #62615  
Old Posted Apr 20, 2025, 5:12 PM
Lwize Lwize is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 609
This website has probably already been posted, but...

https://pastvu.com/

You can look across the globe for photos of your area (Los Angeles, for instance) taken throughout the history of photography.

There's probably Noir Los Angeles-worthy images we haven't seen yet.

Worth a look.
     
     
  #62616  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2025, 12:44 AM
fullpower's Avatar
fullpower fullpower is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Paramount, CA
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
I recognized Carl's right away in the photo. We used to stop there on our way up the coast in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Far as I recall, there were no segregated beaches in that area. Everyone was welcome around Santa Monica back in the day.

Except for the Inkwell in Santa Monica. there is a memorial to the Inkwell the Beach for African-Americans near Baystreet. Beaches were definately segregated and the inkwell was the only beach in santa monica for African Americans for many years.

https://www.chasingasun.com/blog/history-of-inkwell-beach
     
     
  #62617  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2025, 5:35 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,055
.



Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Amusingly, the site of the Western & Oakwood Poultry Market on the corner of Western and Oakwood is now a KFC!
That is a weird coincidence. ..Thanks for figuring out the location, Hoss.

I thought you were wrong at first because our KFCs here in the midwest don't look like that one.

I wasn't 100% sure until I turned the corner.

Yep, it's a KFC alright!...Blow me down and call me Shirley.


We also don't have three axle pickup trucks in the midwest.
.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 21, 2025 at 5:59 AM.
     
     
  #62618  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2025, 5:50 AM
ethereal_reality's Avatar
ethereal_reality ethereal_reality is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lafayette/West Lafayette IN, Purdue U.
Posts: 18,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post


e_r: In re: the Finkle Arms:


LA Times, 12/8/1912





Thanks, odinthor!

Fred Finkle was also the first recipient of the 'Fickle Finger of Fate' Award.


Laugh-In

.
     
     
  #62619  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2025, 5:56 PM
MartinTurnbull's Avatar
MartinTurnbull MartinTurnbull is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 229
"Home Town Papers" location possibly solved?

I posted this image on my social media today and someone replied with this:

Looks like this could be the alley between Hill and Olive, running parallel and just south of 6th. Photo would have been from the Hill Street side, facing west. Some of the building and street details seem to match up.

Also, I believe "Home Town Papers" may have been signage for the Universal News Agency. See https://www.instagram.com/beforethe101/p/DCnKPhCyWPH/

He looks to be about right.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
All that is really interesting. Thanks guys.


I've been going through files on one of my old computers & I keep coming across interesting items.

Like this one.

ethereal-reality file br1

Toggle my memory, have we ever discussed the locations of outdoor news stands in downtown Los Angeles?

.
     
     
  #62620  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2025, 11:48 PM
rick m rick m is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 261
Magazine kiosk in Fifties in front of Oviatt Building on Olive was where an old timer saw his first copies of Mattachine Society "One Magazine"
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.